Suggest gear for Nikon 5100

iankur

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Dear All,

I am a amateur photographer with photography as a serious hobby. Majority of my photography is done in following areas:

1. Product Photography for Bakery & Chocolate Products
2. Indoor Photography- Generally Portraits
3. Outdoor Photography- Landscape and Architecture
*Avid fan & user of Bokeh Technique

Recently I have purchased Nikon 5100 with 18-55mm Kit Lens. I have immediate need to invest in good lenses, Tripod and Travel Bag
Following are the items I have shortlisted. Need your comments & suggestions

Lenses:
Total Budget- $400
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G
Nikon AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED Lens

Bag:
Kata KT DR-467I-BB Digital Rucksack

Tripod:
SUNPAK 6600DX Digital Tripod

Please Please Please help me chose the right direction to invest

Thanx

Not sure what bokeh technique is but I am assuming you are talking about a super shallow depth of field.

The 50 is a good lens but the zoom isn't the best. It's about the same quality as the kit lens that came with the camera. But, that's probably the only zoom that will fit in your budget. You can still get nice photos with it though.

Hi Megan,

Yeah Bokeh is the Depth of Field related wherein the subject is in focus and rest of the area is pleasantly out of focus
50mm is Fixed Focal length lens at 50mm (prime lens). I think you meant 55-200, if so then in case of a commercial call for a good zoom I can stretch to $250

Regards

iankur said:
Hi Megan,

Yeah Bokeh is the Depth of Field related wherein the subject is in focus and rest of the area is pleasantly out of focus
50mm is Fixed Focal length lens at 50mm (prime lens). I think you meant 55-200, if so then in case of a commercial call for a good zoom I can stretch to $250

Regards

Actually that's not bokeh - that's depth of field. Bokeh is the aesthetic quality of blur in out of focus areas of the image. Bokeh is the terminology used for defining the quality of blur achieved at shallow depth of field. Bokeh thus refers to the quality of blurred imagery rendered by the lens for out-of-focus points of light.

Depth of field and CoC (circle of confusion or bokeh) are not the same thing. Bokeh cannot be changed or adjusted.

The 50mm lens is a good lens - especially for the price. The zoom (55-200) on the other hand isn't the best. You can still get good photos with it but it's not the best. It's also a variable aperture lens so it isn't the best in low light.

Point Taken... Regarding Good Zoom Lens with large aperture say 2.8 are >$600-700 hence out reach right now. Further what about other lenses, i mean Tamron & Sigma do they give a cheaper option. I have done small research online, couldn't find a solution though

iankur said:
Point Taken... Regarding Good Zoom Lens with large aperture say 2.8 are >$600-700 hence out reach right now. Further what about other lenses, i mean Tamron & Sigma do they give a cheaper option. I have done small research online, couldn't find a solution though

They do give cheaper options - but not in your (or my) price range. For example the Nikon 70-200 2.8 is around 2,300 and the sigma is around 1,300. Fast zooms are pricey unfortunately. I have the 55-300 and I've taken some good shots with it but I rarely use it so I can really say much about it (55-200 and 55-300 are pretty similar). I, personally, like prime lenses.

Have you thought about an external speedlight/flash at all?

I have thought of SB-400 but currently running with the built-in popup flash only

For your purposes, I would get the 50mm 1.8 and a flash, the SB-400 is ok but the SB 600 would at least let you bounce flash. I have the 55-200mm and it stays in my camera bag pretty much all the time, its nice enough though if you need the 200mm length. Bags are going to be a personal opinion, I suggest you go somewhere you can actually try out a few and see what your preference is, as it is I have a Crumpler #million dollar home but when I shoot, generally stuff a spare lens in the lens bag and attach it to my belt loop :p
I have a Vista tripod that works for my purposes, the legs are pretty thick but still lightweight.

I'd suggest the 35mm 1.8G because I realise 50mm on DX is too tight for me to be a 'normal' lens.

Thanks Bossy that was useful

I'd suggest the 35mm 1.8G because I realise 50mm on DX is too tight for me to be a 'normal' lens.
Hi EchoingWhisper, Can you explain in slight detail to what is tightness?

Thanks Bossy that was useful

Hi EchoingWhisper, Can you explain in slight detail to what is tightness?

Meaning you have to stand to far away from your subject, which is not possible in some situation.

And the 35mm 1.8G is actually sharper than the 50mm 1.8G

That's too close to tell. Both lenses are extremely, extremely sharp.

More than 33% decrease in sharpness wide open is too close to tell?

Original-
43071115.png

97142723.png

Posterized version to help you see better-
25314732.png

15130603.png

Hi Michael,

It seems that you're having second thoughts on your purchase ;) (just saw your sign)

On a serious note I did the same thing on DXO, The factors slightly against 35mm were Chr. Aberration & Distortion (but acceptable)
My decision parameter for 50mm was since it was a FX lens and can serve me once I plan to upgrade to a FX Camera
Further because of its slightly bigger focal length it can yield better portraits/ Closeups

Regards

Most reactions

Back