Suggested Camera Upgrades

Huminaboz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Okay, so I think it's finally time for me to upgrade my digital camera from the Canon PowerShot A60. The thing is, I don't know exactly how much I know about cameras. So I would appreciate a little help. I'll tell you what I'm interested in for a camera, and you can tell me if I seem to be missing something and also good places you know to get these cameras.

I do know I want a digital camera, don't wanna mess with film just yet. That and I'm about to be taking a photography class so they'll be pushing a normal camera on me anyway.

So the main things I am concerned about are
1. Megapixels
2. Manual focus
3. Macro
4. Shutter Speed

I want at least 4 megapixels. Maaaaaaaaaan automatic focus really screws me up, I'd like the ability to have both really, but the auto focus is usually only useful when I'm not looking or in a hurry like at a party or something. Macro shots are my game. The shutter speed adjustment would definately help with some artistic effect.

Yeah, so basically if someone could tell me if they think I'm missing something here and could help me find what and where to start looking, that'd be AWESOME.

Loads of digital cameras have manual focus. I'm not sure if it's just the expensive amateur ones or the middle-range amateur ones as well. But loads do.

Out of interest, why do you want 4MP? Why isn't 2.3 or 3MP enough?

I think what you're looking for is a middle-range to high end amateur camera. You've got a huge range to choose from. Pop into your local shop and try some out and ask for advice.

santino said:
sounds like you would need to get a DSLR, or are there "digi-cams" with manual focus?

I had a Fuji S602 that had full manual control and manual focus.
Sure do miss that camera sometimes, but the wife said something had to go when the D70 came home with me one night. :roll:

Panasonic makes some pretty sweet high zoom manual focus cameras. I picked up the Lumix FZ-10 six months ago and love it. 12x optical 4MP and full manual controls. I think the new FZ-20 is an improved version, w/5 MP. Both offer image stabilization.
IMO, for the money, around 550 USD, the FZ-20 is worth a look.

I think an SLR type digital would probably suit you best... It'll have good image quality and a manual focus or autofocus lens just like a normal SLR but there aren't interchangeable lenses which overall makes it a little cheaper.

Manual focus in a non-SLR is useless. you get a two buttons you press while you focus in or out. and it's impossible for a two buttons to get the exactness of a dial. (just think of a volume control dial versus and up and down button - sure they both work, but if you want to get inbetween volumes the dial is a must!)

Megapixels are not as important as you might think. What is important is the sensor size. The larger the sensor the better the quality will be. SLR sensors are usually twice to four times the size of the same megapixel count point and shoot.

When I bought my last camera (canon g2) I found I was hardly taking pictures at all. I never went out for shoots, just kind of ignored it. When I bought my dSLR, I told the guy who sold it what camera I was coming from and that I didn't like it compared to my old film canon ae-1. He just nodded and smiled. Without the full control of an SLR I didn't even want to shoot photos.

Last but not least is I'm not sure if you're aware or use the half-shutter click. You can focus with 99% of cameras by clicking the shutter release half-way and holding it. Still holding the release you re-compose your shot. It will hold the focus settings on whatever you focused on when you first half-clicked. Perhaps that will help you with your focus troubles. Or maybe not. ;)

jadin said:
Manual focus in a non-SLR is useless. you get a two buttons you press while you focus in or out. and it's impossible for a two buttons to get the exactness of a dial. (just think of a volume control dial versus and up and down button - sure they both work, but if you want to get inbetween volumes the dial is a must!)

Just a quick point, the cameras I mentioned do have a focus dial.
Yes they are not SLR, but like I said, for the money, worth a look.

ferny said:
Loads of digital cameras have manual focus. I'm not sure if it's just the expensive amateur ones or the middle-range amateur ones as well. But loads do.

Out of interest, why do you want 4MP? Why isn't 2.3 or 3MP enough?

I think what you're looking for is a middle-range to high end amateur camera. You've got a huge range to choose from. Pop into your local shop and try some out and ask for advice.

Yeah, basically what I want is to be able to make prints of the pictures from the computer after I've edited them in photoshop that are fairly large, like i'd say about a foot long.

jadin said:

Megapixels are not as important as you might think. What is important is the sensor size. The larger the sensor the better the quality will be. SLR sensors are usually twice to four times the size of the same megapixel count point and shoot.

When I bought my last camera (canon g2) I found I was hardly taking pictures at all. I never went out for shoots, just kind of ignored it. When I bought my dSLR, I told the guy who sold it what camera I was coming from and that I didn't like it compared to my old film canon ae-1. He just nodded and smiled. Without the full control of an SLR I didn't even want to shoot photos.

Last but not least is I'm not sure if you're aware or use the half-shutter click. You can focus with 99% of cameras by clicking the shutter release half-way and holding it. Still holding the release you re-compose your shot. It will hold the focus settings on whatever you focused on when you first half-clicked. Perhaps that will help you with your focus troubles. Or maybe not. ;)

That's very helpful information.
I knew about the half shutter click thing though, it just isn't good enough.
I'm gonna have to look into this SLR sensors thing, thanks.

And yeah, around $500 should do the trick, I'm splitting the cost with someone and then giving them my old camera

Just a thought, if you're taking a photography class you might check and see if they allow digital, b/c some still do darkroom. It would be bad if you spent that amount of money and couldn't use the camera for the class :wink:

Just a thought, if you're taking a photography class you might check and see if they allow digital, b/c some still do darkroom. It would be bad if you spent that amount of money and couldn't use the camera for the class

On the other hand, if they do jsut do dark room, you can easily find an older full manual 35mm for under $100 on ebay.

Most reactions

Back