Suggestion for a Voting Poll

This forum (for better or worse) has always been a 'beginner friendly' forum. So, for the most part, that has meant that the vast majority of the members are in the beginner to intermediate range of photography. Of course, there are professionals and/or supremely talented photographers here...but just like the real world, they are the minority.

So with that in mind, consider that when someone comes to the forum (if they stick around) they learn what they will...but eventually the learning resources become exhausted. That person will then either move on or stay. Some stay to pass on their knowledge the masses of beginners who continue to join the forum, others stay to maintain the relationships they've formed here.

It sucks when good photographers leave...it sucks even more when good people leave. But considering the number of members that have come and gone...you can't expect everyone to stick around.

This forum (for better or worse) has always been a 'beginner friendly' forum. So, for the most part, that has meant that the vast majority of the members are in the beginner to intermediate range of photography. Of course, there are professionals and/or supremely talented photographers here...but just like the real world, they are the minority.

So with that in mind, consider that when someone comes to the forum (if they stick around) they learn what they will...but eventually the learning resources become exhausted. That person will then either move on or stay. Some stay to pass on their knowledge the masses of beginners who continue to join the forum, others stay to maintain the relationships they've formed here.

It sucks when good photographers leave...it sucks even more when good people leave. But considering the number of members that have come and gone...you can't expect everyone to stick around.

I agree... but losing a knowledgeable photographer means there is one less resource that all of the beginners / intermediates can turn to, when they have a problem! If it continues, it will be the blind leading the blind....

Right now we have 205 registered users on-line, out of 2,347 total people on-line. You are today's top poster cgipson1, with 49 posts, followed by runnah with 44 posts. Surely your years of wisdom and professional photography can help make up for three posters who post typically once to five times per week. Right?

Right now we have 205 registered users on-line, out of 2,347 total people on-line. You are today's top poster cgipson1, with 49 posts, followed by runnah with 44 posts. Surely your years of wisdom and professional photography can help make up for three posters who post typically once to five times per week. Right?

Quantity isn't everything, as I am sure you know. I haven't shot professionally full time in many years (20+).... and have never shot as a full time professional with digital equipment, so today's actual pro's are more knowledgeable in that realm than I will ever claim to be.

I vote that we vote about the voting of the pre-vote, that comes after the original vote to vote someone off the island, I think. Oh heck, just let everyone stay.

I vote that we vote about the voting of the pre-vote, that comes after the original vote to vote someone off the island, I think. Oh heck, just let everyone stay.

:playball:

Nominations for Prom King and Prom Queen MUST be submitted to Mr. Gipson in Room 303 no later than Wednesday morning at 9:00 AM!

Why is it that newbies should just grow a set, harden the eff up, and take abuse because that's how we roll, but somehow professionals (whatever that even means) should get treated with kid gloves?

That's kind of a rhetorical question, I guess.

Why is it that newbies should just grow a set, harden the eff up, and take abuse because that's how we roll, but somehow professionals (whatever that even means) should get treated with kid gloves?

That's kind of a rhetorical question, I guess.

So you are admitting you are a newbie? And you don't know what a professional is? Interesting!

If it helps... one definition of a professional is that they get paid (which is stupid.. cause then any hobbyist that sells bad photos is automatically a "professional"!)

My definition of a Professional is on that can turn out consistent, well exposed, well composed images with almost any equipment in almost any conditions... and has a wealth of REAL (not hypothetical) knowledge that they are sometimes willing to share (and obviously are doing it for pay!).

Last edited:
Andrew; I think what folks are saying is that we value certain member's contributions more than others.

Most reactions

Back