Suggestions for buying new camera for videos

bhishma

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone,
I am looking for a camera to shoot some interviews and music videos to be hosted on web.the requirements for the quality of the videos are
a) video : anything better than mobile cam and point and shoot cam will do. for the kind of interview i am planning to do look for the link.
b) music video : this is the tricky part. i want something like seen in the video below, but i know i cant do that in this life. also my budget is a limited one. i would like to know that can I shoot a decent music video with a camcorder and after some editing in adobe premiere can it be made to look even remotely close to the video below. also what equipment should be used to get a decent audio quality. will coller mics do the job ? please note that music vid will be a live rendition so adding sound at a later stage will not be possible.
I have a 'normal guy' experience of shooting images and videos with a samsung 10 mp camera ( images and videos ) and a sony handycam ( 6 yrs old ).
although my budget is a little tight i have zeroed in on two options.
1. spend some serious money and get canon eos 1100, because i just love the effects it can give by adjusting colors and other effects. also i 'might' be engaged in some photography at a later stage and then it will come in handy. the total expenditure i am expecting on this one is about 30k ( am i right ).
2. get the basics and the content right and start with a decent camcorder of around 20k ( will i get a decent one in this range ). for this i need some serious suggestions as what should i be using.

i will be shooting most of the interviews outdoors with no time constrains ( could in the dawn / noon / or evening ).
will be using collar mics for sure,at least for the interviews. for the music videos please check out the link and help me in guessing the gear setup in it.( i know for sure they are using canon 5d but can it produce such amazing audio quality too? if not what gear should i use keeping in mind the budget)
for the interviews, sometimes i will be using the tripod and sometimes it might be a moving one.
Please do not hesitate to give as many as suggestions as you can in this regard.

Last edited by a moderator:
The "amazing quality audio" is handled by NOT using the built-in mic on the camera /and/ manually controlling the audio gain (turn off the default auto-gain and set the gain levels manually.)

The new Canon 650D (aka "T4i") is has some nice new video enhancements to the line. Canon has a few new lenses with silent focusing motors that won't pick up in the audio... but this assumes you're using the built-in microphone (which you shouldn't be using.)

A buddy of mine does a lot of video. He does have the wireless clip-on collar mics, but he also has a Rode VideoMic (monaural -- not stereo) and it's audio quality is vastly better than any built-in mic (also it's a shotgun mic.) The mic slides into the hot-shoe socket (really that's just the mounting system) right on top of the camera and then plugs into the audio jack on the side.

The video on the right is using a lower focal ratio on the lens which produces a more cinematic look (sharp subject.... blurred background.) The lower the focal ratio on the lens, the more dramatic the effect. At f/2 it'd be VERY obvious ... also at f/2.8. At f/4 it's definitely there... just not as strong. But at f/5.6 the effect is weak. By f/8 it's pretty much gone.

Hi Tim,
Thanx a lot for the information, though some of it is quite advanced for me and hence could not get it.
Could you also tell that if the quality of the first video ( or the second video by editing ) is achievable by a camcorder like sony HDR CX190E.
For audio quality i could use collar mic for interview and a separate mic mounted on the cam for the music video. Am i right here?
Thanx for bearing with my naive questions but i really am a complete noob to photography.

Most reactions

Back