Suggestions for Next Lens Purchase?

Bugs81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What's up everyone?

I've been working with the kit lens on my Canon Rebel XS for a few weeks now and have already encountered it's limitations.

Just curious if anyone has a suggestions or recommendations on what lens I should pick up next?

I like to do a lot of street photography but would also like to start working with portraiture as well.

Thanks!

What's your budget like?

I just purchased the same camera and I have the kit 18-55mm lens and a 50mm F/1.8 and I love it!

What's up everyone?

I've been working with the kit lens on my Canon Rebel XS for a few weeks now and have already encountered it's limitations.

What limitations are you talking about? Focal length? Chromatic abberation? Distortion? Focussing speed? Aperture? Sharpness?...

One last point, for portraits get yourself a 2.8 or less if you can. It will give you a good depth of field and provides more flexiblity in low light conditions.

17-40 F4L for street ,walk around, landscape, general use. I love mine.
50mm f1.4 for portrait work
100mm f2.8 macro for portrait work and macro to long for indoor unless its a headshot.
85 f1.8 portrait may be a little long for indoor use?

One of my favorite lenses that covers street and portrait work equally well is the 70-200 f/2.8L IS. But without knowing that you want to spend $1500+ on a lens, I can't accurately say that this is the lens for you.

I also like wide angles for street and portrait as well; it really depends on what type of mood I'm in as to whether or not I go wide or I go long. I like the 10-20 and 10-22 Sigma and Canon lenses on APS-C Canons and the 17-40 on FF cameras.

Most reactions

Back