Suggestions on making a toy seem BIG, and Destructive

bremner53

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My son has this monster truck toy he is absolutely in love with. I would like to take a photo of it for his room. I want this photo to convey how he feels about it. He loves it because it is tough, fast, can run over other toys. But it is just a little truck, haha.

I wish I had a wide angle to do some cool "hero" type shots, but I will try them anyway. Do you have any suggestions that may help me out?

I Rebel and a 28-75 Tamron 2.8, and the kit 18-55. My 50mm 1.4 hasn't arrived yet.

Thank you :)

I would suggest putting it on the floor, nice and far away from any wall or background. The place some smaller cars/toys behind it, about half the distance between the background and the truck.

Then set your lens to it's widest setting (18mm) and get up close to the truck, laying on the ground. This will exaggerate the distance of the truck from the wall, and make the cars behind it seem smaller. (Behind, but to the side of the truck so you can see them).

By the way.. best thread title ever, lol. :lmao:

I think you need to make the aperture really small so your depth of field is very deep so everything is in focus. So you will need longgg shutter.

I think you need to make the aperture really small so your depth of field is very deep so everything is in focus. So you will need longgg shutter.

Hey Schwetty,

When I shoot with my 85 1.2 wide open like nothing is in focus lol.

I am not joking, I took shots of my son from about 8ft away where his forehead was in sharp focus, and his eyes werent because his head was tilted down slightly. By the time you get down to his mouth and chin, it was already way out of focus.

The focal plane is that razor thin, isnt that crazy?

Want to buy it off me? Never been dropped, or bumped on anything (just like all my lenses).

Ill give you a good deal. You know you want to lol...

- Neil

I said small aperture Neil, not wide open! :)

I'm thinking take it out into the yard, get it a little muddy, and put it in a mud puddle or something. Maybe even set up some action figures such as GI Joes around it. Get down nice a low and shoot it from the ground.

I've got this image of a GI Joe in the foreground in a running pose with the truck in focus in the middle ground in my head.

So youll sell it to me for $100 and the shipping from japan is $1500?

Hey Schwetty,

When I shoot with my 85 1.2 wide open like nothing is in focus lol.

I am not joking, I took shots of my son from about 8ft away where his forehead was in sharp focus, and his eyes werent because his head was tilted down slightly. By the time you get down to his mouth and chin, it was already way out of focus.

The focal plane is that razor thin, isnt that crazy?

Want to buy it off me? Never been dropped, or bumped on anything (just like all my lenses).

Ill give you a good deal. You know you want to lol...

- Neil

If you want to show the size of something, and make it appear big... Put it next to something small, and insignificant... Like Glenn Beck's brain, or a 1:1 replica of it. That should give the illusion of a mighty monster truck, and make for a great photo. :thumbup:

Thanks everyone... I am loving the ideas.

I kinda already thought about outdoors, maybe a wheel up on a rock, etc. I love the GI Joe idea! I will share what comes of it this evening :)

Feel free to keep the ideas coming, I have 3 hrs of work to think about what I am going to do, HAHA

Put a monster truck, tell somebody to stand a few yards away until he is smaller than the truck and then make the depth really deep.

I would suggest putting it on the floor, nice and far away from any wall or background. The place some smaller cars/toys behind it, about half the distance between the background and the truck.

Then set your lens to it's widest setting (18mm) and get up close to the truck, laying on the ground. This will exaggerate the distance of the truck from the wall, and make the cars behind it seem smaller. (Behind, but to the side of the truck so you can see them).

By the way.. best thread title ever, lol. :lmao:

^^^^^^ What she said!^^^^^^^^

So youll sell it to me for $100 and the shipping from japan is $1500?

To be honest I really may sell it soon.

B&H only pays about $1k to buy it, and then they probably resell it for like $1600 lol the cheap bastards.

I am guessing I could get a lot more here or on ebay.

The only reason that I might not, is because its so unique. Its a really fun lens to play with, and helps greatly to teach you about DOF.

As I said in my impressions thread, if it didnt have the CA issues and had much better AF it would probably be the most legendary Canon lens ever. Sadly it is far from that status though.

The lens is outstanding in many ways, but the poor AF and CA issues that it has almost always make me want to just slap on the 70-200 instead.

From an overall performance standpoint, the 70-200's leave it in the dust.

My 70-200 has zero CA, and AF so fast it makes Paris Hilton look like Susan Boyle...

Edit: OP sorry for getting way off topic in your thread lol. If you dont care for it please just let me know...

i liek the rock idea get that bad boy flexing out!

By flexing out I mean get the susspension twisting haha

Buy some cheap hotwheels that are metal. Hammer them to crush them and put a few under the tires, some laying behind in the wake of destruction and a few pristine ones in front that it hasnt reached yet. Use the widest angle, shot low and close. Could add some blur in photoshop to mimic movement.

Most reactions

Back