Suitable Lens

Faterocky

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi. I've played around with my Canon S90 for a while now with some interesting results, but I've finally bitten the bullet and ordered a 7d (very excited!)

My biggest concern is what lens(es) to buy - I'm heading to South America for a very long backpacking holiday and the main things I'm concerned with photographing will be things like Machu Pichu, Patagonia and landscapes, maybe some animal close ups aswell - general purpose I guess. I don't have enough money for the camera I just brought let a lone a nice L lens but I want something a little better than the stock lenses. I was looking at the Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Lens - any opinions on this combination would help so much! Thanks alot

With a 7D in your pack the weight of the lens(es) is going to matter. However, without knowing what you are interested in shooting, it's impossible to suggest anything. Any lens with a focal length range as large as the one you suggest will not be as good optically as a shorter-range zoom or a prime. How much can you spend and what focal lengths do you use most?

i would just bite the bullet and buy 24-105 f/4L IS. That would be my ultimate lens if I didnt want to have many lenses. You should be able to buy it on craigslist around $850. It is expensive... BUT.. lets say next year you decided you dont want it anymore, you can sell it for the same price! It is like renting for free as long as you dont break it or lose it.

I'm not normally a fan of super-zooms such as the 18-270, but in this case it will be a decent all-in-one solution for you. Before you make a decision however; do you want photographs of your trip, or snapshots? That is: Are you going to take time to set up your gear and photograph a scene, or just walk around and shoot what you see when you see it?

If it's just travel snaps, the super-zoom would be fine, EXCEPT for the build-quality. All of these lenses are aimed at consumers and are generally very poorly built. The 24-105L that Schwetty recommended will cost you more out of pocket, and have less range, but will be a LOT more durable.

Thanks for the advice guy's I think with all the places I'll be going - it's going to have to be the 24-105L.
Cheers guys

Nice choice. More expensive but long run you will not regret it.

Most reactions

Back