Sunday Afternoon C&C (BESP)

fast eddie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Assignment:
This is my first project for the Bitter's Evil School of Photography.
The objective was to explore the rule of thirds, and use at least 3 of the four "magic intersections" for points of interest. Subject needs to be a beverage, and the photo should make the viewer want to drink.

Set-up:
I ordered my latte and cookie, waited around a bit for a good seat (one I could capture a good foreground/background interplay) and once set up I got a few shots I was happy with.

Post production:
Not much - removed some cookie crumbs on the table and an Undesirable thermos on another table.

Settings:
Shutter: 1/15
F/ 5.0
ISO: 400
26mm
hand held
natural light

C&C:
Please let me know how I did, if it fits what was asked for, and what I can improve.

Photo: "Sunday Afternoon"
4416551590_b766c40a40_o.jpg

#2 (following some comments on the person being distracting)
4417648944_c5168ec69f_o.jpg

Thanks,
Fast Eddie

Last edited:
I think you cheated.
I wish we could see at least part of the actual drink.
The guy in the background is distracting.
Focus seems pretty good and i think exposure is good...although im still learning all that....
I do want a cookie now.....

Nice Depth of Field! I’m not a big fan of coffee but it’s certainly a good shot. I thiiink the top of the cup is blown out but the lighting in the rest of the photo is great. Good focus, and clear for being handheld with a shutter speed of 1/15. I’m not sure what metering you used but perhaps a spot metering on the top of the cup would have taken care of the blow out at the top there. I think the person slightly distracts but is out of focus enough that she isn’t too big of a problem, in my opinion.

Disclaimer – C&C given without reading any previous comments in the thread, per the instructions of the group; redundant comments possible and probable.

Technically, I think the shot is pretty good. It's sharp, the natural lighting of the front subjects is nice and the lighting in the background sets a coffee shop mood. The cookie is particularly inviting. I like the color and grain of the table. Perhaps you could have turned the table so the grain is pointing toward the background instead of out of the frame.

Maybe I'm biased because I'm not a coffee drinker, but not actually seeing the coffee doesn't do anything to tempt me to drink it. If this was a cookie project, I'd say you did a good job on that aspect.

I don't think the background is adding anything to the shot. The guy walking doesn't feel like coffee shop... looks like he's leaving and he's carrying a... something large. I'm wondering where he's off to in such a hurry.... oh wait, this is a shot about coffee. I hope you understand my point. I would rather see a couple people seated at a table, maybe one person lifting an identical cup to their mouth, the other may have one as well on the table. Something that reflects the calming atmosphere that I think of when I see your coffee and cookie on the nice table.

Thanks for the feedback. you all bring up the person as distracting, or not adding to the image. Which is funny because I purposely waited for that shot - another good reason to get people's critique. I've added another one of the shots (above in original post) with a more calming background to go with the mood. Let me know if this is more what you were thinking.

The best part about this image is it was fairly spontaneous, I was going out for a walk with my camera to capture some stuff unrelated to the assignment, got a coffee and thought "this might work well".

Peace
Fast Eddie

Agreed that the person wasn't working. The background is busy but it works cause it's a nice setting and nothing is out of place or messes with the motif of the photo.

As far as I'm concerned I think you passed the assignment because I want a coffee now.

I think you got the thirds right which was one of the Bitters requirements. You don't need to buy a tripod!, for that low speed the shot is really sharp.

Even in the second shot the background looks busy to me, taking some attention to the main subjects. I like the fact you used natural light and the cup's shadow doesn't bother.

I hope you got Colombian coffee in there, otherwise I don't have it!.

I actually like the 1st attempt better... the guy walking is more interesting than the empty chairs and other unidentifiable stuff. The background here is very important because it has enough focus to identify what is going on back there. What you put back there is going to be almost as important as the cup and cookie.

I find #1 more appealing.
It seems to me like the coffee takes a backseat to the cookie though. The covered paper cup just doesn't make me want it in the way that the cookie does.

Technically, there seems to be a lack of contrast in the foreground subjects making me think the camera metered for the background, and overexposed the foreground a little. I'm no expert but that's what it looks like to me. Someone else might have a better technical understanding than I do.

I think the person walking by in #1 adds to the scene actually, but it's probably because when I think coffee shop I think of highly caffeinated, busy people on the go. If you had a tabletop tripod or bean bag to steady the camera and were able to slow the shutter speed a bit and show some more motion blur now we're talking!

Edit:
Forgot to add that showing more of the counter/espresso machines rather than the pole in front of it all might add to the coffee shop "feel"
Also, depending on which computer I view on the aforementioned contrast issue can become, well, less of an issue. I have the same problem with my own stuff...

Last edited:
I too agree with the OP and the two posts above that #1 is more interesting. I like that the person walking shows some detail of the shutter speed.

Thanks for all of the feedback, and tips.

Most reactions

Back