Sunflower_C&C Group 1

Clawed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was bored tonight. I purchased a single sunflower and decided to take a few shots in the dark (scene lit with a flashlight). I like trying to make the most of a minimalist setup.

Let me know what you think!

3631432941_80cd07b38f_o.jpg

3632243442_d955fa4a5c_o.jpg

*This second shot was the actual reflection, not PP reflection*
Speaking of PP. the first shot is pretty much straight from the camera. The second needed a very small amount of help.

Last edited:
I am late for work, but had to take a minute to also say "Wow!"
Great job!

More later....

Those pictures are actually really amazing.. and all you used was a flashlight and a dark/low lit room.. I may give that a try some day, if you don't mind of course ;).

I think they are great too. The first one especially. I think the second one is nice too, but there is something about having the black border running between the top flower and the bottom that makes it feel like it's just "cut off" or cropped funny. I don't know if that makes sense, but I can't really describe it any other way. It IS really nice and I'm impressed that you only used a flashlight. Very creative.

I would definitely hang the first one on my wall at home! Love the colors. The other one is great as well!

I think they are great too. The first one especially. I think the second one is nice too, but there is something about having the black border running between the top flower and the bottom that makes it feel like it's just "cut off" or cropped funny. I don't know if that makes sense, but I can't really describe it any other way. It IS really nice and I'm impressed that you only used a flashlight. Very creative.

Linda, since you bring this up, I have to confess that there is a reason for the slightly awkward crop. The flower was reflected in a granite countertop, but since I had the flower laying flat, it caused some of the outer petals to fold in. It looked pretty bad, and I figured maybe I could cover it up by cutting the picture in half but eliminating the very center. So I agree with you, and it irks me a bit to look at, so I may reshoot it tonight.

A.rilley . Definitely give it a shot and share the results. I usually get home from work and really have no desire to go out and shoot before sundown, so I decided maybe I should see how creative I can be indoors and with very little light. I am beginning to see that it's pretty amazing what can be done with so little.

Thanks for the positive remarks everyone :sun:

I love the warm tones you got from the lighting, and the background texture is great. Frame 'em up and make some prints to sell!

I have nothing to add that hasn't already been said. They are great. Definitely frame-worthy!

Just adding +1 on beautiful. The photo I would like to see is the complete flower, with the lighting from #2. Well done.

Just adding +1 on beautiful. The photo I would like to see is the complete flower, with the lighting from #2. Well done.
I think I have a shot of the complete flower, and I'm not sure why I didnt use it. I think I'll see what was so wrong with it.

Anyway, thank you all again, I am making some big prints but wondered it any of you have any advice for a pro lab they have used and can recommend.

Most reactions

Back