Sunrise bikini beach shoot - settings?

A C Stand, which is quite heavy at the base, is better than a conventional stand for use in the wind.

Obviously your RVATA (remote voice activated transport assistant) isn't as cantankerous as mine. All I'd be hearing is "how much farther?", "why do you need this?", "couldn't you find something lighter?", and my favorite, "if you need this so D****d bad - YOU CARRY IT". The ensuing argument quickly spreads to the RVARH (remote voice activated reflector holder), and RVALM (remote voice activated light mover) which unfortunately happen to be one and the same, resulting in multiple equipment failure and a severe headache. :biglaugh:

Make sure your lens front element and rear elements are clean....shooting into a low sun can cause weird streaky flares if the lens is not spotless.

Complicated by the gooey mess that salt water and air will often deposit on your lens as you're out there. Start clean as Derrel said, and make sure to clean a few times during the shoot as well...

Salt spray, sea mist, ocean fog. Whatever you call it....on some days 10 minutes is enough for it to cause image degradation....kind of depends on the situation.

For getting sand off of skin-- I like a big, high-quality 4" house painting brush...fast, effective.

Hello all, sorry for the late response, after many rescheduling due to storms we were able to shoot! It was tough since you only have minutes from when the sun is coming out to when all the light is out. But you guys were right, the flash didn't cut it that much, I was thinking in either getting a couple more strobes and use a bowen multiflash mount or get a battery set for my flashpoint 320m, some cheap strobes will cost around $60ish, and I will need at least 2 aside from the one I have, the battery for the flashpoint 320m is $129, probably cheaper the battery but is it more practical, how long do these batteries last?

Don't bother with the speedlights, they just don't have enough kick to add fill for this type of project unless you are a couple of feet away from the subject. Put that money towards the battery to power up your FP 320M at 150 w/s it is more than twice the power and will recycle faster.

However, at only 150 w/s it may also be a bit anaemic depending on your ISO, F-stop and distance. Do some tests before the shoot day so you know your numbers.

Don't bother with the speedlights, they just don't have enough kick to add fill for this type of project unless you are a couple of feet away from the subject. Put that money towards the battery to power up your FP 320M at 150 w/s it is more than twice the power and will recycle faster.

However, at only 150 w/s it may also be a bit anaemic depending on your ISO, F-stop and distance. Do some tests before the shoot day so you know your numbers.
Yes I thought that too, there is a battery pack that they sell for the flashpoint, I recently got a godox sk400ii more powerful than the 320m, will the battery packs work with either one?

I suggest you do some browsing on B&H Photo and Adorama's websites for these products and accessory products that are compatible with them.

It looks like the Flashpoint 320M has a socket that takes a proprietary 4 pin cord connecting to the battery, the Godox doesn't.

Yes I thought that too, there is a battery pack that they sell for the flashpoint, I recently got a godox sk400ii more powerful than the 320m, will the battery packs work with either one?

Hello, I checked and the Godox is AC, the flashpoint 320M although less power has both AC and DC and Adorama sells a power pack for the M flashpoints at $129. I would have bought a flashpoint 620M instead of all of the 320Ms that I have(5-6).
Do you think the flashpoint 320M at 150W powered by the battery pack would be enough, I'm looking to do a beach shoot but I still have ambient light.

Hello, I checked and the Godox is AC, the flashpoint 320M although less power has both AC and DC and Adorama sells a power pack for the M flashpoints at $129. I would have bought a flashpoint 620M instead of all of the 320Ms that I have(5-6).
Do you think the flashpoint 320M at 150W powered by the battery pack would be enough, I'm looking to do a beach shoot but I still have ambient light.

No one responding to your query knows the flash to subject distance, modifier, ambient light level, ISO, F-Stop or shutter speed you want to use so suggesting you are good to go would be inappropriate.

As I stated earlier, do some tests. Know your gear before you head out with a model to a shoot that is predicated on a fast rising sun and a very short timeline.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back