Super white backgrounds

Reaction score
Website
www.ikandiphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is one of my favorite Photographers. I cant figure out how she gets her backgrounds so crisp and WHITE! New Jersey Newborn Photographer EMA Photography - The Studio Blog » EMA Photography - The Studio Blog scroll down to 6th and 7th photo. Does it depend on the amount of space you have? My studio space is approx 13x17 and when i put the lights on the background to light it up it never seems i have enough room to move the subject up far enough to keep the lights f/ drowning them out. I just want to be able to shoot like this ! I love how white and clean the photos look! Any advice would be great. We have 2 softboxes and 2 umbrellas.
Thanks!

This is one of my favorite Photographers. I cant figure out how she gets her backgrounds so crisp and WHITE! New Jersey Newborn Photographer EMA Photography - The Studio Blog » EMA Photography - The Studio Blog scroll down to 6th and 7th photo. Does it depend on the amount of space you have? My studio space is approx 13x17 and when i put the lights on the background to light it up it never seems i have enough room to move the subject up far enough to keep the lights f/ drowning them out. I just want to be able to shoot like this ! I love how white and clean the photos look! Any advice would be great. We have 2 softboxes and 2 umbrellas.
Thanks!

You need more lights, 2 lights need to be on the background then you need lights for the subject

Yes, and experiment with the flash ratios of subject and background.

Rule of thumb: overexpose the background by 2 stops and light it evenly. On the rare occasion I shoot large things against a white background, I use 4 lights, but it's probably overkill.

And one more thing to bear in mind. If you were to shoot a black wall at the meter reading you would get a grey wall. And if you were to then increase exposure by five stops it would near white. Think, a black wall looking white on a print. You want to try and keep your backdrop about three or more stops above your subject and, yes, a little more lighting on the backdrop never hurts either.

Check out Zack Arias' website.

Notice how he uses bifold doors to flag spill from his background lights off the subject.

Zack's website rocks. He shows how to turn the background pure white and completely light the subject with one light. His DVD is also amazing.

ZA definitely has "sum rad skillz" and I love his DVDs, but that technique has been around for decades. If you blow out the background by 3 stops... doesn't matter what the background is... it will all be pure white.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back