Surf Shots, 3 for C&C

RobNZ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Another decent swell rolled in today, and the surfers were out in force....does nobody work around (says the guy taking the photo's).

I cant wait for summer because the position of the sun in winter relative to this primo shooting spot sux, all the surfers end up in the shadow of the wave against bright sunlight, so more often than not they are far too dark. In summer the sun sets at much better angle.

1. Black and whites are not usually my thing, but I am working on it. Possibly my first B&W posted I think. A little grainy but I think it kinda works.

surf13th003.jpg

2. This needed quite some work to bring it out of the shadow. Yes I centered on purpose, I felt like breaking some "rules".

surf13th002.jpg

3. My pick of the 3, one of those shots I knew would at least be a keeper when I captured it. Almost the last shot of the day, right on sunset, hence the apricot sky.

surf13th001.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Good job, I agree they do need some minor adjustments, but love the captured detail. Yes the rules can be broken!! lol

Thanks, I found one more.

surf13th004.jpg

I was going to say #1 was my favorite, but the last one you posted has me trying to decide between the two.

The surfer contemplating the surf and not seeing his face works very well, even in b&w.

last image
The color, clarity, and the surfers just about silhouettes along with I feel like I am on the water not far from them makes this a great photo. Portrait style really works for this image too.

"Breaking the rule" and centering the subject in landscape orientation doesn't work well. Portrait crop, yes that would work.

I love #1 and #3 the most!! They are beautiful!

I love these! Beautiful colors, great detail.. it really makes you feel like you're there. Great job!

WOW Rob I didn't think anyone was watching me! :lol:

Seriously, great shots!

I was going to say #1 was my favorite, but the last one you posted has me trying to decide between the two.

The surfer contemplating the surf and not seeing his face works very well, even in b&w.

last image
The color, clarity, and the surfers just about silhouettes along with I feel like I am on the water not far from them makes this a great photo. Portrait style really works for this image too.

Thanks pbelarge, I knew there was a shot missing from the "best of" because I remembered taking it and thinking at the time that should look nice, I didnt see it until I went for the fourth time narrowing them down.

"Breaking the rule" and centering the subject in landscape orientation doesn't work well. Portrait crop, yes that would work.

Thanks Bitter, too much of nothing going on left and right perhaps to justify being centered perhaps?

Just for you Bitter, portrait crop slightly off centre ;)

surf13th005.jpg

I love #1 and #3 the most!! They are beautiful!

Thankyou

I love these! Beautiful colors, great detail.. it really makes you feel like you're there. Great job!

Thankyou

WOW Rob I didn't think anyone was watching me! :lol:

Seriously, great shots!

Haha, you just never know huh.

i like #1 and #2

Thanks dak1b.

I like the crop much, much better!

Exactly. There is nothing of real interest or importance on either side of the subject in the original. I think your crop really brought out the upsweeping lines in the "foam", leading up to the surfer.

Man....awesome pictures Rob. This does look like a sick spot.

Wow Rob, that is indeed a sick surfing spot! Incredible location, nice light, and somebody who can handle a camera parked behind the eyepiece!!! A winning combo!

Love the portrait crop on that photo. Maybe it's the graphic designer in me, but I'm digging the gradient feel of the water's greenish hue from darker to lighter as it goes from bottom to top...and it compliments the surfboard well!

All of them are great though!

Great work, as always Rob

Most reactions

New Topics

Back