Switching to mirrorless.. Nikon or Sony?

The micro four thirds cameras have a large choice of bodies & lenses but the damn small sensors just cannot cut the mustard.

You think?

Check out this link:

Featured: 'Mu43 Wedding Experience' by SSSYURRR

Where did you read that Ron ??

I used m4/3 for two years. Not a problem but it does have a smaller sensor and the crop factor is interesting for sure.

Danny.

What about Olympus as a good choice in m4/3 mirrorless? I think the Olympus OMD series is pretty nice if a guy wants a mini-dslr-type styled mirrorless; Sony has smaller bodies available, but the lenses are bigg-ish. Fuji went with the slightly bigger APS-C sensor size instead of m4/3, and unlike SONY, seems to actually be listening to real buyers, instead of wandering off on 18-month tangents and dropping everything on a whim and confusing the hell out of the people who bought earlier Sony gear.

Seems to me that Fuji with their APS-C sized sensors and their X-system offerings is a good choice in mirrorless, and then in m4/3, Olympus and Panasonic seem pretty well-positioned and with nice products and lenses that can interchange between brands. All three of those companies actually seem to SHOW that they WANT your business and your loyalty. SONY OTOH, just seems to me to want your credit card digits and the expiry date and the three-digit code and then they're like, "Oh, hey, thanks, now eff you, buddy!" after that...

The micro four thirds cameras have a large choice of bodies & lenses but the damn small sensors just cannot cut the mustard.

You think?

Check out this link:

I used m4/3 for two years. Not a problem but it does have a smaller sensor and the crop factor is interesting for sure.

Danny.

For one example, in your post above. "M4/3 also have some excellent cameras if you can live with a smaller sensor. Also a great range of lenses for the m4/3 system as well. "

I bought into the system @ day one, with the Pany G1.

Check out the link I provided.

You think?

Check out this link:

Danny.

For one example, in your post above. "M4/3 also have some excellent cameras if you can live with a smaller sensor. Also a great range of lenses for the m4/3 system as well. "

You must be reading it wrong Ron, I didn't say .....

You said that. It has a smaller sensor and if you can live with that, its a fine system. Same as the Nikon series 1 system. It has a smaller sensor and if you can live with that its fine. You seem to be reading in things that were not said for some reason. Some of my best shots are with m4/3 cameras. Weddings don't interest me Ron, I crop a lot, so I get to pixel peep most of the images. I used m4/3 for two years Ron as I said. There is no issue with it ;)

Are you telling me it doesn't have a smaller sensor Ron ?? The crop factor is interesting for what I take. I actually like it :)

All the best Ron, don't try and quote things I never said please.

Danny.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I have been thinking a lot about switching to mirrorless, and recently I was reading about the new Nikon 1 V3. It looks really nice, especially as it comes with the EVF etc. I was thinking it was a choice between either that or the NEX7. I've been looking at comparisons such as this one (Nikon 1 V3 vs Sony NEX-7 - Cameras Specs Comparison), and it seems quite even. The 1 V3 comes with an EVF which I like, and the EXPEED 4 seems to be great with that 20fps, although I don't think I really need that! The focus system seems superior too.

On the other hand I think I trust Sony more when it comes to mirrorless, the sensor is bigger and there are more (I think?) lenses available. Also the sample shots of the V3 don't look so great.... https://www.flickr.com/photos/nikonfrance/sets/72157642287620513

Actually, after writing the pros and cons out, I am definitely leaning towards Sony.. Any advice?

Thanks

The Nikon hands down!

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

Danny.

You said that. It has a smaller sensor and if you can live with that, its a fine system. Same as the Nikon series 1 system. It has a smaller sensor and if you can live with that its fine. You seem to be reading in things that were not said for some reason. Some of my best shots are with m4/3 cameras. Weddings don't interest me Ron, I crop a lot, so I get to pixel peep most of the images. I used m4/3 for two years Ron as I said. There is no issue with it ;)

Are you telling me it doesn't have a smaller sensor Ron ?? The crop factor is interesting for what I take. I actually like it :)

Danny.

My point was the often criticism of the m4/3 small sensor, which you mentioned, in my exact quote of yours. My link, I thought, would dispel fears of m4/3 "small sensors" for folk not yet knowledgeable of the system.

Sony have already stated why ;) NEX was becoming the name of the camera system and not Sony Alpha. They have always been been named Alpha, but NEX was taking over the Sony brand name with that series of cameras which has always been Alpha. Simple easy marketing strategies, but who are we to argue marketing when we know little about the Sony corporation.

Your bad news for changing the name is short term only, eventually once the NEX name is dead and gone, it all becomes normal ;) That won't take long at all as new NEX based designs come about, next year it won't even matter. Rumours and bloggers that get involved with corporate decisions must feel foolish as Sony produces cameras that they said Sony gave up on. It is kind of humorous IMO.

That is an old post on that site and already proved wrong with the design issue. I am a NEX-7 user, so he is wrong there for a start, I couldn't care lees what Sony calls it, the camera I use still works and its also very old news now in this fast moving industry. But to each their own.

All the best.

Danny.

I agreed the NEX name change wasn't a good example. Doesn't mean Sony's not nuts though. Quick Google search:

"The Alpha 900 represents in a nutshell the almost schizophrenic nature of Sony's digital camera division...." Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Review: Digital Photography Review
"Sony's top management team suffered from managerial schizophrenia." Sony vs Samsung: The Inside Story of the Electronics Giants' Battle For ... - Sea-Jin Chang - Google Books
"....since Sony has been totally schizophrenic in its camera naming scheme and nomenclature lately)." Time to post | itsnotthecamera
"Which Sony? They are so schizophrenic they frequently sue themselves." iPhone Infringes On Sony, Nokia Patents, Says Federal Jury - Slashdot
"Sony Music is Schizophrenic enough all on it's own." Can Sony's new supremo make the sacrifices to save his biz? ? The Register Forums
"But plans changed or Sony is just down right schizophrenic." Sony 13.3-Inch Digital Paper Ships Out in May for $1,100 / ?803
"Because Sony is schizophrenic and will develop an entirely new system before coming out with any lenses beyond the f/4 zoom, orphaning all 4 of their existing systems before any are fully developed." A look under my Christmas Tree! Nikon Df, Leica M, Sony A7r and the Olympus E-M1! | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS
"A Cure For Sony’s Schizophrenia?" FurdLog » A Cure For Sony?s Schizophrenia?
"Sony is schizophrenic." Sony reveals Move Server for PC | GamesIndustry International
"Sony, in traditional schizophrenic style, went on to produce several generations with varied specs...." The Jig is Up!: A Sony PlayStation 3 Review - Years Late
"....versus Sony's schizophrenic platform support...." One Billion Sold: Why Microsoft XBox Live Has the Best Online Strategy - CBS News
"Do you remember Sony's schizophrenic marketing a few years ago...." Microsoft: Xbox isn't a gaming console - Console Gaming - General Discussion Forums at MMORPG.com

I know some of those are old links, but that's because we've known for a long time (incurable after all). Like I said, I wasn't the first to notice. Even DPReview called them schizophrenic in the review of the A900.

I agree they make some excellent cameras, but you can't trust the company; the Pros know this and stay away.

Joe

Danny.

My point was the often criticism of the m4/3 small sensor, which you mentioned, in my exact quote of yours. My link, I thought, would dispel fears of m4/3 "small sensors" for folk not yet knowledgeable of the system.

Ron, I never complained about the m4/3 sensor. In simple terms, its a small sensor. In fact the Nikon 1 sensor appeals for the smaller sensor and crop factor. I had a V2 bird shooter send me a full RAW image of a Kingfisher, this one here from the DPR forum ....

Re: N1 V2 with AF-S 500 f4 VR & TC20E III - FoV 2700mm: Nikon 1 System Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Even as a RAW its stunning in sharp details !!. As the guy said though, watch out if you need to crop an image a fair bit.

Here's some I follow using m4/3 and you probably already know the names, but then again, maybe not. These appeal for what I take. Bob, Trev and Cole

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/

https://picasaweb.google.com/trevorfcarpenter/Birds2013Part2

BTW, the EM1 appeals.

All the best Ron, but don't read the wrong things into my comments. ;)

Danny.

Last edited:
Hi f18 - you've gotten a lot of good advice already - all I would add is that, if your heart is set on getting a Sony, you should pre-order the newer camera - the A6000 with the 16-50 power zoom. It will cost you less money than a body-only NEX-7 and will give you updated features (e.g., more focus points, a faster frame rate for continuous shooting, wi-fi and NFC).

Hope this is helpful!

Bill

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Is the m4/3 sensor large enough to allow for DoF control needed for portraiture? How wide does one need to shoot with m4/3 to have a shallow enough depth of field?

Is the m4/3 sensor large enough to allow for DoF control needed for portraiture? How wide does one need to shoot with m4/3 to have a shallow enough depth of field?

I was using long fast Canon lenses on m4/3, so my DOF was always razor thin anyway. Just looking at what Panasonic has alone without the Oly lenses ....

Panasonic Lenses: Digital Photography Review

A good range of native lenses for sure. Noticed the 45.2mm F/1.2, probably something along those lines, but I don't know enough about portraits. Mind you it's around $1500 US, so its not exactly cheap.

Panasonic Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm F1.2 ASPH OIS: Digital Photography Review

All the best and have a look at the Oly lenses as well.

Danny.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I work in a retail camera store, I never recommend the Nikon over the Sony mirrorless. The Sony's have larger sensors, more lens selection, and it's obvious Sony took more time designing them since they are currently revamping the entire line. i.e. Sony A6000. I agree with ronlane and would definitely consider looking into Fuji as well. My store isn't a Fuji dealer so I can't tell you much more than what I've read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a happy X-T1 owner. The lens selection isn't very broad, but what are available are able to get the job done. If you get an X mount you can open the door to Leica lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back