Taking a shot of Christmas lights reflecting in my daughters eyes

Pink I did that last year with my daughter. But this year I found out the wires are coated lead that easily rub off onto your skin. Just fyi ❤

If I were going to do this with the equipment you have I would use your 50mm at f2.0 or somewhere around that on a tripod 10ft from your daughter. (8ft will work if you don't have enough space to get 10)

Since you are wanting a lot of detail, like the tiny lights of the tree in her eyes as catchlights, I would try to keep my ISO under or at 800. Turn on every light in the room but have them to the sides and behind your daughter but out of your field of view. Have your wife hold your daughter as close to the tree lights as you can get. It might be easier for your wife(and you) if she is seated on a bar stool or something similar. Put the center focal point on your daughter's nearest eye. It would be great if your wife can lean over your daughter's shoulder so her eyes are just above your daughter's hairline and both facing the tree or whatever angle you need so you can see them both. You should be able to shoot at 1/160 or so. If you can't raise your ISO to wherever you have to get that shutter speed. The tripod allows you to get the focus and it is set so you don't have to hold the camera to your eye and bring it down and then refocus.

Shoot until you get the look you want.

The good news is the tree will be up for a while, right? If you don't get it the first time you can try again. I know your daughter is only going to give you 10 minutes or so. I would have your wife sit where you are going to take the shot and work until you get what you want and then bring your daughter in an fire away. You should end up with 20 or 30 shots to choose from.

Another thing to remember is you only have a DOF of 11 inches using the parameters I set up for you. That will be enough to make sure you get both your wife and daughters eyes in focus but it doesn't give you any room to maneuver or try to get the tree in the shot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back