Taking photos at height whilst remaining on the ground?

justlukeyou

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

Are their any devices on the market which enable someone to take a photo at approximately 15 feet in the air whilst camera user remains on mother earth?

I have a basic SLR which has no remote shutter.

Hi,

How would I take photo from a great height. Are their any poles with angled heads on?

Buy a tripod head and fix it to a long pole.
The problem would be framing and focusing.

What is it that you actually want to do?

I'd use a 15' pole with a long USB cable to a laptop with some camera control software to control my camera. But that's just me.

Watch this to get some ideas:

I'm planning to build something similar to this, and I use an Android Tablet with an app called DSLR controller that I can use to monitor what the camera is looking at, and control all I need to through that interface.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are camera adapters made for painter's poles. Just use the camera's self-timer.

MeUnderthePole.jpg

Myself, I use a 50' QuadPod with a tethered laptop.

SetupPost.jpg

DowntownRun1Post.jpg

Last edited:
The simple solution is to use a monopod and a wireless shutter release. If you've got a wide-angle lens on the camera then framing isn't a problem. It's like a sawed-off shotgun... point it "vaguely" in the right direction and you're pretty much guaranteed to hit everything.

But if you want a solution capable of using narrower fields of view and more precise control, you can do that too... but naturally the price tag goes up.

Videographers sometimes use camera jibs or boom cranes. Rather than just a pole, it has a platform on the end which can be rotated and tilted up/down. Rods or wires run down the length of the crane so the operator can point the camera.

Many cameras have a video out which can be used in live-view mode. But you do need a small monitor (and power source) down at the base of the pole. But it does let the operator see what the camera sees.

Do a Google search for "camera boom crane" or "camera jib" and you'll see lots of them.

Myself, I use a 50' QuadPod with a tethered laptop.

SetupPost.jpg
That thing is so super-sexy-cool! Seriously! I've Googled around looking for it a few times when you post about it, but no luck.

Where can we get one, and how much does it cost?

That thing is so super-sexy-cool! Seriously! I've Googled around looking for it a few times when you post about it, but no luck.

Where can we get one, and how much does it cost?

Unfortunately, the company that made it went belly-up right after I bought it. They were in England, so buying a new one got expensive with shipping to this side of the pond. I got lucky and found a used one in Florida.

I think the whole kit (minus the laptop and camera) sold for $2800 US. Officially, it's called an Easy-Up model AP 1500. Has a motorized pan-tilt head on top.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back