Taking photos of strangers.

Jace

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, so I've been wondering about a situation. Say you're one of those that take your camera everywhere, which most places i've read say to do in case that once in a lifetime photo op comes along. You're sitting at the mall eating and see some kids playing, and think 'Hey, that would make a cute picture!' Do you just take our your gear and snap away, or do you ask for permission first? Being a guy, I'm just not sure if it would be weird if I just started taking pics of some strangers and their kids. Then I wondered, what if you had a few business cards with your website, name, and cell or something in case they wanted to see the photos later on, maybe even buy something.

So, the bottom line, is how do you take photos of people that you don't know, in a public place?

I just start shooting, and since I'm not socially inept, I have no trouble striking up a conversation with the people if I'm going to be shooting multiple pics of them. If it's just a one off, I usually don't say anything, just snap and go.

Well, this can be a delicate issue. If you're on public property, which is held open to the public, you have the right to take those pictures without obtaining permission first. If you are in a mall, which is private property, but still held open to the public, you could be asked to leave, but there should be no legal ramifications for you taking the photos. But because it's private property, mall staff could ask you to leave if you're violating any "rules of conduct" they may have in place. And that would probably only happen if someone complained about you to mall staff.

Now, my personal opinion (and there are many on here who would disagree) I think you should always ask permission when possible, even when in public. Especially to a parent when it's their kids. Remember, that parent doesn't know who you are, or why you are taking photos of their kids. For all they know, you could be a journalist, or a pedophile. But take that for what it's worth, as it's just my opinion.

Well, this can be a delicate issue. If you're on public property, which is held open to the public, you have the right to take those pictures without obtaining permission first. If you are in a mall, which is private property, but still held open to the public, you could be asked to leave, but there should be no legal ramifications for you taking the photos. But because it's private property, mall staff could ask you to leave if you're violating any "rules of conduct" they may have in place. And that would probably only happen if someone complained about you to mall staff.

Now, my personal opinion (and there are many on here who would disagree) I think you should always ask permission when possible, even when in public. Especially to a parent when it's their kids. Remember, that parent doesn't know who you are, or why you are taking photos of their kids. For all they know, you could be a journalist, or a pedophile. But take that for what it's worth, as it's just my opinion.

I agree with you on this. Being a mother myself, if I saw some random guy sitting there snapping pictures of my kids-I'd be a little freaked out and worried and most likely ask you to stop or just leave. If someone asked me permission and had their business card or whatnot on them, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

I agree with you on this. Being a mother myself, if I saw some random guy sitting there snapping pictures of my kids-I'd be a little freaked out and worried and most likely ask you to stop or just leave. If someone asked me permission and had their business card or whatnot on them, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

This is what I was thinking as well. So, it would help put you at ease if the person had a business card to prove that he's not just some pedo? Granted I always have my wife with me, but one thing I'm interested in is photographing children since all our friends keep producing them, and sometimes I think, "Wow, that would be a great shot! But I don't want to get shot..."

This is what I was thinking as well. So, it would help put you at ease if the person had a business card to prove that he's not just some pedo? Granted I always have my wife with me, but one thing I'm interested in is photographing children since all our friends keep producing them, and sometimes I think, "Wow, that would be a great shot! But I don't want to get shot..."

Jace: It helps at lot that you aren't by yourself and you have your wife with you but I'm sure your wife can't always be with you at every photo op. I would feel more comforatble if someone asked me first, especially since it's dealing with Children. Parents can be very protective over their children, and if they see some guy hanging around a play ground taking pictures, most likely the cops would be called. haha So yes, business card and asking would help, if you tend to stay there for awhile and shot.

Also be prepared for parents to still tell you no though, cause more than likely they will say no anyways.

I would ask permission for the shots. I would probably offer a print or prints as well.

Yeah, in the age we live in I couldn't blame them, and it's for that reason I won't be going to playgrounds, lol. Unless of course I go with a friend that has a kid, to photograph hers. Then I would still of course tell any parents hanging around what I'm doing. Just wasn't sure what the etiquette is, even with just taking strangers photos walking down a street.

I can certainly tell you that if I observed anyone taking pictures of my little one at a playground, pool, etc, I would be having an up close and personal conversation with them while we waited on the local constabulary (a call I would have immediately placed). That would be my personal response as a father. Given my lifelong career field, even if I observed an individual taking pictures of other people's kids at a playground, pool, etc, it would catch my attention. If there seemed to be anything surreptitious about the way they were doing it (and there seemed to be no obvious interaction between the photographer the parents of the children), I would most likely call the local PD and report it so it could be checked out. Paranoid? Maybe. But given the world we live in today, that would be my course of action.
Gonzo

No one can have a reasonable expectation of privacy when out in public.

Not everyone with a camera is a pedophile.

A mall is private property, but is a public place, so people cannot have a reasonable expectation of privacy. However, the mall can prevent you from taking photographs.

While we are discussing malls. Do you parents realize - you, and your kids, are likely being video taped by mall security?

Courtesy can go a long way. Especially if you ever want a model release signed. Business cards, being polite, and offering to email them a shot is a good tactic. Plus this helps you add them to your contact list so that you can maybe ask for a model release at a more opportune time. Sometimes its just easier and better to just snap and go. Just be prepared should someone try to get physical with you. Its always good to have local PD numbers and a cell on you, and a plan to safely remove yourself should anything ever get hostile. Thats just my opinion though.

I don't take pictures of kids. I appreciate some kinds of candid (usually b&w) where photogs have made shots of streetkids (Romania, C. America- that kind of thing) because the message is poverty and/or the human spirit shining through those hardships. But day to day streetphotography in Europe, kids I wouldn't photograph for obvious reasons. (And yes I do think the reasons are obvious).

No one can have a reasonable expectation of privacy when out in public.

Not everyone with a camera is a pedophile.

A mall is private property, but is a public place, so people cannot have a reasonable expectation of privacy. However, the mall can prevent you from taking photographs.

While we are discussing malls. Do you parents realize - you, and your kids, are likely being video taped by mall security?

Certainly not everyone with a camera is a pedophile. But a lone individual taking pictures of children at a playground (park, pool, etc) would get both my professional attention and my attention as a parent. What course of action I then followed would depend on a variety of other factors. But it would, without question, ping my radar.

And I agree (and courts have traditionally held) that there is no expectation of privacy in a public place. As for a mall (or other business) recording persons on their property, I have no problem with that as a parent or as an individual (although I don't doubt, for a second, that there are pedophiles who work in mall security, just as in any other field). A private business has a patent interest in doing so and there are usually (although not always) signs that advise persons of video surveillance on the property. I personally consider that to be a vastly different situation than an individual sitting in his car shooting pictures of kids at the local neighborhood pool. As I said before, the totality of circumstances would make all the difference in the world.
Gonzo

You have to be a parent to see it from their perspective. Last year at Disney World some random guy came up and started taking pictures of my kids. Yes it's a public place but it's also disrespectful. I don't want this guy selling pictures of my kids or posting them on the internet. I can see the staff photographers doing it because that's their job. But this random guy pays big bucks to get into the park to take pictures of kids?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back