Taking Pictures of People

BWK2893

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
bwkphotographyandart.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've always been curious as to how photographers get real close pictures of complete strangers. Is there a specific photography etiquette when capturing emotive/conceptual pictures of complete strangers? I know some people would prefer not to have their pictures taken, so do the majority of these photographers ask for permission before they shoot, or do they take pictures disregarding how unsettling it would be if they were caught in the act? Sorry if this is a silly question!

Use da power of da zoom.

Many street photographers use small, compact cameras like rangefinders so they can shoot from the hip or they can inconspicuously snap people without making people too weirded out or suspicious.

Or you can just generally ask people if you can photograph them. It's not quite as candid but you can still get some nice stuff

There are two basic approaches: Use a long lens and hope not to get caught, or build a relationship with the subject, ask for permission and snap some photographs. I prefer the second, because I feel it is less exploitive and allows for better photos and a connection to the subject. A lot of times if you just walk up to somebody and pay them a compliment, or ask about their story, they are more than happy to chat with you and pose for some photos. And if they tell you their story, your images will have a back story as well.

The problem with chatting people up is that they are then aware of you, and you can wind up with a very different picture. Sometimes the results are good, sometimes not, but always different.

I have one of a girl I stumbled across in Cambridge, MA. Before I said anything to her, she looked bored and annoyed but relaxed, which was a GREAT picture. I got up the nerve to say hello and ask if I could take her pic. I talked to her a bit to try to make sure she remained "loose", but when I shot the pic it was clear she knew the lens was on her. Totally different. :(

Depends on the situation, I'll knock off a frame or two if I see soemthing that makes for a good picture. I won't just go out and shoot pictures of people that are doing nothing, that is boring, but that is how some people see "street Photography" If the light and subjectand composition are all working then, sure. Some people you can approach, and may be flattered, it all depends on the personality of the photographer, if they creep people out, then you have a problem. If you are friendly and chatty, and they feel comfortable, then you have a better chance, offer them a copy of the picture, but don't ask for an e-mail address, if you have a business card, let them contact you, they will feel more comfortable.

The problem with chatting people up is that they are then aware of you, and you can wind up with a very different picture. Sometimes the results are good, sometimes not, but always different.

I would think one approach would be to take your pictures, then approach the person after the fact to see if they object to you keeping them. They may be flattered when they see what you have, and if they insist you can delete them on the spot - showing them that you are doing so.

I carry my nickle plated Desert Eagle on my side and shoot where I want when I want and Who I want,,,,,nobody says Jack....lol

Just Kidding but sounded funny anyway....lol

I carry my nickle plated Desert Eagle on my side and shoot where I want when I want and Who I want,,,,,nobody says Jack....lol

Thinking it was funny was your first mistake.

As soon as you ask someone you miss the moment, get in close i'm looking for an M6 for this sort of thing they will never know ive taken the shot its so quiet
This was shot with my camera at my side, focus is off a bit
702264886_QuQuY-L-1.jpg

Thinking it was funny was your first mistake.

Dont go getting all bunched up over it......
relax take a breath........

Most reactions

New Topics

Back