Taking Pictures of People

rlemert said:
I would think one approach would be to take your pictures, then approach the person after the fact to see if they object to you keeping them. They may be flattered when they see what you have, and if they insist you can delete them on the spot - showing them that you are doing so.

I know many people who ascribe to this philosophy. I think it's a bad plan. What if that picture you took was THE picture... And then they ask you to delete it? Now you have to choose between whacking an amazing photo or being a real jerk and a half.

I dread thinking I might have missed any of these...

Salem%20Day%20-%20Salem%20People%20-%20041%20bw%20crp.jpg

Salem%20Day%20-%20Salem%20People%20-%20002.jpg

Banjo%20Man%20-%20236%20rev2%20bw.jpg

Salem%20Courthouse%20and%20Library%20-%20009%20bw.jpg

Why bother to ask?
That only implies that you think you might have done something wrong.
If you have the right to take the picture- US, public space, etc. then you have done nohing wrong.
If they approach you and demand/ask that you remove it, then you behave however you wish.

I have asked only rarely and then only to get pictures that I might not have gotten because I wanted specific shots and there was no way to do it without asking.
I don't believe in 'ambush' pictures where the photog pops up into the person's face. I don't mind them being aware of me, I just don't want them putting on a 'picture face.'
Typically I only ask when I have been talking to the person for a few minutes and they are comfortable enough with me taking the picture.

lewphoto0794818.jpg

lewphoto.jpg

lewphoto2.jpg

lewphoto2.jpg

Most reactions

Back