taking street photography photos w/ 35mm lens makes subjects mad

Status
Not open for further replies.
completely understand what you're saying about it being the action in that close space, Derrel.

i'm going to continue to consume this genre and tread softer as i figure it out with my own camera. the golden rule often fails me, and i feel a little silly for having let a blog convince me this surprise method was not disrespectful. eric kim does have some great photos. last night i watched a video of him creating them, and he's being lightweight wrong to his fellow human beings in the process.

still strongly believe the primary offense was taking the photo. while further away may reduce conflict, that's utilizing both figurative and literal barriers. and "not interacting" sounds a lot like not getting caught. which i'm not knocking. done it before, will do it again. but i think many or most people do want to be photographed without permission, period. i'll now work to convince myself otherwise.

thanks the the encouragement, jcdeboever. if you're saying you take no permission photos from 8 - 10 feet away, i'm very interested to hear about your strategy and what reactions you get. and to see the results!

Strategy is simple, any falling into that zone or if I'm entering in it, all I have to do is frame and shoot, assuming metering is correct.

Results? Not many to share, have to look. I assume most are just not good enough to post in regards to people or I'd direct you with a link.

However, upon reviewing and studying along the way, many lack 3 elements, so in theory, they're snap shots with little content. Something I am working on. I have 6 rolls to develop, could be some on there that would contain some content. For me it's a learning process. I literally walked around recently and it seems to me that 8-10ft zone is close and safe but still, common sense applies. Sometimes, you see something like a little kid composition developing, not a bad time to interact with the parent and ask for permission. Doesn't hurt to have examples on you either, say this is what I do and I'm just out walking around, having a great time, enjoying the day. Look in the pixmedic photo contest link for this month. I seen this little girl (with mother) at the botanical garden with a sketch book in her hand. I complimented the mother on a beautiful blouse she was wearing and mentioned what a darling little daughter. I showed her a couple of flower pics and asked her, if the little pumpkin breaks out the sketchbook, could I capture that moment? She said, "that would fine, thank you for asking first." And don't you know it, that little whipper snapper threw down the sketch book moments later, my camera was set, I crouched down and fired the shutter. I then showed the mother and we laughed, she said that her daughter loved to draw. That was 8 ft. away. That little girl also came up to me and showed me her drawing. Nothing creepy, just having a good time enjoying those precious moment, and earning and showing respect. Everyone loving the day.

I don't really do street shooting but I think you have to keep a safer distance and blend it to the crowds use a smaller camera if you can with other then a DSLR and when you see something of interest that maybe worth lifting the camera, take the shot then keep moving the chances of someone chasing you half way way down the block is slim. You may also want to practice shooting from the hip when you can as one of our members the Traveler does, its a skill like any other photography,You just have to be confident and practice with that style of shooting. Good luck and be sure to wear a helmet and mouth guard.

I did do one street shooting up close and had no conflicts at all on this one but at the time I think he was really depressed from the infraction he received of driving with out a seat belt. LOL
Image 12-11-16 at 10.41 AM.jpg

Last edited:
Weird I don't have any problems with my street photography...

DSC03314
by The Braineack, on Flickr

so curious about other peoples experiences? any tips?

do you want photography tips, or advice on how not to be a horrible human being?

I give you guys lot of credit doing this style of photography,people can be really strange and unpredictable especially if they suffer from mental illness, no fault of there own. I still feel safer around wildlife especially birds, though I have been dive bombed once by a 3 inch Black-Capped Chickadee.

Just because you believe you have the right to personal space and not having anything pointed at you in public, doesn't make it true.

Actually it does in my state and 32 others in this country that have some form of "Stand Your Ground Laws". While they may differ on the use of deadly force they pretty much all recognize an individual right to use force without retreating, in order to protect and defend themselves or others against threats or "perceived threats". The Stand Your Ground Laws as apposed to the Castle Doctrine, extend the right of an individual to expect absolute safety in a place they have a legal right to be. IE public place, street, etc. I noticed a PA location on your tag, which also has Stand Your Ground Laws which state "a person in any lawful place outside his home “has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his ground and use force, including deadly force if . . . (he) believes it is immediately necessary to do so to protect himself against death, serious bodily injury, kidnapping, or sexual intercourse by force or threat.” (18 PA consolidated statutes 505(b)(2.3))". So yeah my right to believe I can limit your intrusion into my personal space (or any space) is not only true, but backed by law. A stranger coming up on someone on the street and sticking an unknown object in their face from 3' feet away (as the OP described), without warning, would be construed as a "Perceived Threat" by most rational people and stands a good chance of eating the camera if lucky and possibly dead if not depending on the state and the other circumstances. Someone standing across the street pointing a camera in my direction, would likely be viewed as a situation where you could easily retreat from and not be considered an immediate threat, warranting the use of force.

@smoke665, I disagree with your assessment, but that's ok!

If you're that jumpy around other people, please let me know when you're around. I'd prefer not to be in your vicinity for fear of getting shot or otherwise physically assaulted by accidentally tripping near you. Or whipping out my phone. Or reaching for my wallet.

@smoke665, I disagree with your assessment, but that's ok!

If you're that jumpy around other people, please let me know when you're around. I'd prefer not to be in your vicinity for fear of getting shot or otherwise physically assaulted by accidentally tripping near you. Or whipping out my phone. Or reaching for my wallet.

I'm sorry, but as someone who was at a location the day before a terrorist attack (Ottawa - war memorial), if you point something black at me and I catch it out of the corner of my eye, I AM going to react badly. There is a BIG difference of seeing something pointed at you or someone tripping. In this climate, yes, I will react badly if a stranger points something at me. I WILL assist a stranger who trips near me. Big difference between "reaching for a wallet or phone" and pointing something.

@waday I'm not the least bit jumpy, but I am very alert of my surroundings while on the street, considering some of the locations I have to be in occasionally, and the nature of people today. You seem to be reaching to make the specifics of the OP different then they were stated. She didn't say she was reaching into her bag, she didn't say she was tripping, she said "walking right up to people and then suddenly taking their photo real close" - 2.8' to be exact. Reacting to this type of scenario, where you don't have time to know if it's a camera or weapon, I'll choose safety for myself and my family. If that doesn't fit your idea, then yup, might want to give me some leeway.

No worries, mod squad, I'm leaving this alone before this goes further downhill. :smile:

I worked in the city so I'm not surprised people might be apprehensive. You're a stranger and they don't know why you're taking pictures or where they'll end up.

I think it's a self protective response. I notice street photography seems to be done in cities, in lower income areas, not in the suburbs or more affluent neighborhoods. I think living in neighborhoods where there's drug activity and violence, most people there are perfectly nice and law abiding and take care of each other and probably have developed a certain wariness and awareness of strangers. And really, why should they have to endure people with cameras being in their face because of where they live or their life circumstances? It's a matter of being respectful.

Probably you'd need to spend time people watching and interacting and letting them get used to you and learning how to be less intrusive. 4 feet sounds way too close and yeah, take a look at the work of some Magnum photographers. I've done events and it takes learning the timing, how to be unobtrusive yet respectful.

8) I don't shoot the homeless, unless something odd is happening, (in which case I am shooting the odd thing that is happening, not the homeless per se).

I figured out, all by myself, that I was just shooting one side of the homeless, the I live in the suburbs and I drive into the big city/people zoo to look at the unfortunate - side. I shot the homeless on my time and on my terms. I decided that if I didn't take the time and effort to shoot the homeless from their side ... then I shouldn't shoot them at all. So I removed any homeless I had on my site and haven't shot them since.

And really, why should they have to endure people with cameras being in their face because of where they live or their life circumstances? It's a matter of being respectful.

Couldn't agree more, why should anyone, anywhere have to put up with the intrusion. Respect of others goes a long way in this world, and as you said - spending time with people, observing them, working to be less intrusive makes a lot more sense then intentionally being a jerk about it.

@Gary A. big difference in the experience of the street if there's no going home to the suburbs. Be they homeless, be they low income, middle income or whatever, people deserve to be treated with respect. As Vintagesnaps pointed out, financial status doesn't determine if a person has a good heart or not. Sad thing is there are a large number of Vets out there on the streets now, and the number is growing.

@ smoke665- The #1 rule in my code is respect. I don't get your point. Yes, it is sad that there are many homeless vets ... but I don't see what that has to do with my Street shooting? I am now working with local government to create shelters for homeless Vets ... but that also has nothing to do with my Street shooting.

I don't jump in people's faces, I don't hide, I don't sneek ... I shoot in plain sight with two cameras and a shoulder bag. When I shoot I don't think whether my subject has a good heart or not ... nor do I use a monetary/financial measure to determine if they are worthy to be captured by my camera. I have lived in big cities, I fully realize the difference between low income housing in an inner city and living in a suburb ... which was why I brought up that point. BTW- I have also lived in trenches with our armed forces, fighting the mud, inspects and surviving on C-Rats. What's your point?

Last edited:
I don't get your poin

No disrespect or disagreement intended, Gary. I was actually agreeing with your comments. Probably should have included more of your quote. My bad on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back