taking street photography photos w/ 35mm lens makes subjects mad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like street shooting. I have such a desire for breathing when I think about it. I love life so much I could cry. Thinking always, about the men that have given their lives for my freedom. What a blessing it is to get up in the morning... kiss your wife, squeeze her bottom, tell her you love her, laugh when the dog lays on her head. Then, she makes me an egg with a slice of toast, pinches my ass, tells me she loves me and to hurry home for some of this (pointing). Now if I am not prepared to enjoy walking around looking for an opportunity to execute an assignment or to fulfill a Hedgecoe project, well I'm just plain ignorant to the wonders of what is presented to me on a daily basis. I can only be polite, nice, and respectful.

we can all be in agreement about shooting the homeless and others in situations of despondence. i live in cincinnati. within city limits. though not downtown, because that's stupid expensive. i cannot, nor can 90-something percent of america, afford to live in the part of the city where i was taking photographs.

Last edited:
Interesting stuff. Cant wait to see what develops.

About the whole personal space controversy, I'll just point out the " fake snowman" scare gag...

I really hope no one gets hurt and I think the risk is possibly worth it, something different.

Some people are just going to react to their space being invaded and being startled.
Some thing like this could happen;

I did a bit of street startle photography this week at Disney, I photographed the photog right when they were ready to shoot photopass shots. I cant wait to see some of their expressions. Personally I could care less to have photos of complete strangers, just not my thing.

those videos are fake to rake in ppv earnings (that little girl should get a cut). don't let them affect your perception of people.

looking forward to seeing your disney photo if you decide to share.

Interesting stuff. Cant wait to see what develops.

About the whole personal space controversy, I'll just point out the " fake snowman" scare gag...

I really hope no one gets hurt and I think the risk is possibly worth it, something different.

Some people are just going to react to their space being invaded and being startled.
Some thing like this could happen;

I did a bit of street startle photography this week at Disney, I photographed the photog right when they were ready to shoot photopass shots. I cant wait to see some of their expressions. Personally I could care less to have photos of complete strangers, just not my thing.
Yep the video you showed shows the dangers of getting in people's personal space and scaring them at the same time

those videos are fake to rake in ppv earnings. don't let them affect your perception of people.

looking forward to seeing your disney photo if you decide to share.
Even if those ones are fake this does happen quite often with people

those videos are fake to rake in ppv earnings (that little girl should get a cut). don't let them affect your perception of people.

I mean, that doesn't make his point invalid.

IMG_2016.JPG

ha, thanks for sharing. looks like he and everyone is having a good time. that little girl's outfit is doll.

I used to shoot more street stuff, but got tired of people being confrontational. People's paranoia about photography or "what you're going to do with my photo?" etc.. is just getting worse. These days I do more of a "streetscape" style of photos I guess..if i'm out in the streets.

I think a big key thing for street photography is acting like you are taking pictures of something behind them. I did a little bit when I was Boston and I was surprised that a few people, complete strangers, posed when I was taking a picture of them haha. So maybe it really depends on the location, time of the day and your presence?

Another cool idea would be to have a portable photo book with your best street shots and show them what you do with their picture.

I really don't understand, a lot of people have issues with street photographers with endless amounts of confrontations and others with none. There's gotta be a reason why that is.

People really are paranoid when it comes to photography but they don't think about how many security cameras are recording them everyday.

I'm just going to take pictures of cats, they don't care (most of the time).

I think part of the problem is that people have been whipped into mass hysteria by the media. Trump complained that there isn't enough in European media about terrorist attacks - that they are underreported. I can tell you that they aren't. Blanket coverage of the incident in London two days ago, yet on the same day many more children were killed by an erroneous air strike and it isn't reported at all.

Mass hysteria by the media (and in the US a head of state that prioritises media fed information over briefings) means that many people view the world with more and more paranoia - it's like the world has taken part in a mass consumption of cannabis (paranoia being a major side effect of cannabis use). This feeding on fear doesn't just make us more jumpy, it makes us more pliable.

So as far as street photography is concerned, expect it to get worse before it gets better.

I think part of the problem is that people have been whipped into mass hysteria by the media. Trump complained that there isn't enough in European media about terrorist attacks - that they are underreported. I can tell you that they aren't. Blanket coverage of the incident in London two days ago, yet on the same day many more children were killed by an erroneous air strike and it isn't reported at all.

Mass hysteria by the media (and in the US a head of state that prioritises media fed information over briefings) means that many people view the world with more and more paranoia - it's like the world has taken part in a mass consumption of cannabis (paranoia being a major side effect of cannabis use). This feeding on fear doesn't just make us more jumpy, it makes us more pliable.

So as far as street photography is concerned, expect it to get worse before it gets better.
... and a craving for snack food.

Last edited:
I think part of the problem is that people have been whipped into mass hysteria by the media.

38 years ago, I made my first trip to NYC. As a country boy accustomed to meeting people on the street, smiling, speaking, and exchanging greetings, I was somewhat taken back by the what I encountered on the street there. Not only would people not speak, smile or greet one another, they would go out of their way to avoid eye contact of any kind. However, in a restaurant, or lobby, or other inside locations, I didn't notice any of that. I suspect that people feel more vulnerability on the street than elsewhere. The recent terror attacks might have heightened that vulnerability, because after all, that's the purpose of terror attacks.

I think part of the problem is that people have been whipped into mass hysteria by the media.

38 years ago, I made my first trip to NYC. As a country boy accustomed to meeting people on the street, smiling, speaking, and exchanging greetings, I was somewhat taken back by the what I encountered on the street there. Not only would people not speak, smile or greet one another, they would go out of their way to avoid eye contact of any kind. However, in a restaurant, or lobby, or other inside locations, I didn't notice any of that. I suspect that people feel more vulnerability on the street than elsewhere. The recent terror attacks might have heightened that vulnerability, because after all, that's the purpose of terror attacks.

No, that's just New York. When you're out on the street, you have somewhere to go, things to do. There isn't much time to be friendly to literally thousands of other people who are out on the street. When you live in a city with millions of other people and privacy is at a premium, you find ways to make public spaces a bit more private. Part of that is fewer random interactions when you're walking. And very little eye contact on the subway. Once you are somewhere inside with the purpose of interacting anyway, then interact away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back