Tamrac ZipShot tripod

stephras07

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I am looking for a small, lightweight tripod. I live over in Japan and have a toddler, and we take the trains most places, so lightweight and small are both requirements. However, I also want something that will hold my camera. I came across this while looking for something and would love feedback. Oh - and inexpensive would obviously be a huge bonus too. This is on the high end of what I can really see myself spending at this point.

I like that it can open basically one handed too. TIA!

Tamrac ZipShot Collapsible Tripod - TQ9500 - TR406-01

A tripod made out of tent poles? NO THANKS.
I have a manffroto and it was the best 250 i ever spent. Its kind of lightweight but will hold me if I stood on it. with tripods you gotta pay to play sweetheart.

I understand where you are coming from, but also think about this - you trust yourself in a ten under those same tent poles, right? So they can't be all that bad. I just don't have the $250 to spend on a tripod living overseas on a military paycheck (not as great as some people seem to think they are. All I can say is thank god we don't have to buy medical insurance on top of this!).

I need something that I can easily take on the trains and manage with a toddler in tow.

Would really appreciate hearing from someone who has actually USED this!!

Well to be honest I totally trust those tent poles, .............to hold up tent material. Now when It comes to having a 25 hundred dollar camera body and a 15 hundred dollar lens sitting on some tent poles I would not trust it. Sorry for being so upfront with you hun but to be honest tripods are a pain and either you deal with em to get their benefits or you dont. I know you might be on a budget but once again coming from someone who made the same mistake your about to make which is buying a bunch of cheesy tripods before buying one that I honestly believe I will pass on to my daughter when I die Im going to strongly suggest you save your cash for a really good tripod. Another thing is that If you dont get a lot of feedback from people on here its because not a lot of people might use that certain tripod.

Well to start with, I DEFinitely don't have that much invested in a camera and lens lol. I do see what you are saying though. I just don't have the hands to carry a large, heavy tripod here. If it doesn't fit on the stroller (weight and size wise), it doesn't generally go with me lol.

My tripod is not that big. I have a brand new baby boy and im lucky enough to have a GF that lets me piggyback my gear anywhere I can fit it on the stroller. I sometimes put my camera in the car seat with my son. He dont mind at all! ha! Look around sweetie usually they have the dimensions and weight of the tripods on the website itself so you can kind of get an idea of things. So bust out that measuring tape and see what you can get away with but once again save the cash, dont waste it on something that WILL be replaced trust me. Or you can do what Ive read on here that other people do and thats Maguyver a tripod on the spot. Use cups,bean bags cars whatever you can to steady that camera untill you can come up with the cash to buy a nice manffrotto or other very well put together tripods.

I'll have to agree with Misfitlimp here - a tripod is a major investment for any photographer, but the reason most spend that much money is not that they can (in the meaning, that they have enough money to "just" buy one of the higher end ones for the fun of it) but simply the need for it.

Imagine your setting up your camera, focusing, composing, and a wind blows strong - knocks the tripod over, camera, in the worst case scenario, gone.
Now - 250 is quite some money, but I do reckon your camera was more than that...

I actually have tried the Tamrac ZipShot - and yes, it is extremely convinient, fun and a bargain compared to its bigger siblings in the market.
But in my experience, it is only suited for digital cameras, point and shoot, maybe even a small bridge camera, but anything that has a proper lens, I would not use it.
The balance of the tripod is off, it shakes once under heavy pressure (being a small Sony A350 with a 50mm lens) which in turn blurred several of my low lights shots (even whilst using remote shutter release) and, one thing that got me was, that after a few times using it, putting it together was not that easy anymore as some of the parts bent a little here and there.

So in conclusion - I will give the same advice, save for a while, buy a nice Manfrotto, Vortex, Gizto, etc... and you will have more for your money that way.

Well darn. I was really hoping it would be something that would work for me. I hate having to buy stuff primarily online. I really need to find a good camera/gear store here in Japan.

IlSan - that information is really what I needed to know. I knew the theory of it could be shaky, but really wanted to know from someone who had at least tried one. I guess I will try to make do with ... nothing, which is what I have now, until I can afford a decent one. I'm thinking I'll be trolling eBay lol.

Misfitlimp - I wasn't meaning to be rude or seem like I didn't want your advice. I will have to see what will work with my stroller. I may be changing to a double stroller in the next year anyway, and that can hold more gear :D

Local shop has it and I have seen it in person. No way I would trust it with anything more than just a light weight P&S. Even then...

As a little carry around tripod, this is decent:

709B Manfrotto 709B Digi-Table-Top Tripod with Ball Head - Black Finish - Supports 4.5 lbs.

Certainly not a replacement for a full-sized tripod, but it also fits in a bag.

That is a nice one, but I definitely need something that I can set up on the ground. I do a lot of outdoor shots, and there's not generally a table around. I will look around their website though and see what I can find. Thanks for the suggestion!

If you are always with the stroller and your child will be in it for a bit longer (until you can afford a good tripod), you might want to look into a Gorilla Pod that you can wrap around the handle of the stroller. Might be a workable quick fix for you at the present time.

@stephras07

Haven't used this one before - but heading down to the stores later on, so I can give you a quick review later on after having a look at it ;)

If you are always with the stroller and your child will be in it for a bit longer (until you can afford a good tripod), you might want to look into a Gorilla Pod that you can wrap around the handle of the stroller. Might be a workable quick fix for you at the present time.

I will look into those. She is almost 1, so will definitely be in the stroller for a couple more years, plus we are trying for a second, so strollers will be in my life for.... a long time. LMAO

Most reactions

Back