Tamron 70-200 2.8 - Autofocus on DX?

MichaelHenson

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Good morning!

Just following up to see if there are any versions of this lens that don't autofocus on my D5200? Looking to purchase one in the near future and want to know what to avoid as my manual focusing skills lack a LOT to be desired.

Thanks!

Are you looking at the (older, less expensive) Non-VC versions?

the SP 2.8 VC will autofocus.

I may be...not entirely certain. I just want to be sure I don't purchase one only to find out that it's manual focus only...

It is NOT manual focus.

I use my D5200 with my Tamron SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD just normally, with auto-focus.

USD stands for "Ultra Silent Drive". This is the denomination for Tamron's auto-focus motor built inside the lens. Look for the "Di VC USD" version and will be good.

I use my D5200 with my Tamron SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD just normally, with auto-focus.
USD stands for "Ultra Silent Drive". This is the denomination for Tamron's auto-focus motor built inside the lens.

I'm assuming that "VC" and "USD" are denoted on the lens itself, correct? Just wanting to verify because many times the description may not match photos or vice versa and I want to be able to verify.

Thanks!

I'm assuming that "VC" and "USD" are denoted on the lens itself, correct? Just wanting to verify because many times the description may not match photos or vice versa and I want to be able to verify.

Thanks!

Michael, you don't need to assume, as this is a fact. Just for you to be sure, I am here restating what I have stated to you before: VC and USD are INSIDE the lens, NOT dependent of any camera mechanism. The fact that the D5200 does not have a built in auto focus in body will NOT spoil your auto-focus with the Tamron USD lenses, at all. Again, I use the same D5200 and the same Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC USD together WITH autofocus. NOT a single problem at all. The Tamron "Di VC USD" it is just like the Nikon "AF-S G VR" lenses. They all work just fine for AF with your D5200.

Read the button functions in the lens:

AF/MF = Auto-Focus/Manual-Focus (for the auto-focus motor INSIDE the lens)
On/Off VC = Vibration Control on and off (for the vibration control motor INSIDE the lens)

Click to enlarge

70-200mm f/2.8
by ruimc77, on Flickr

You are fearing something you should not fear.

Here several shots of with the the D5200 (and the D810) with the Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC USD: Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD - an album on Flickr

It is an amazing combination. Just have fun with them!!

Click to enlarge

D5200 and Tamron 70-200mm
by ruimc77, on Flickr

Last edited:
The 70-200 VC is indeed a great lens. As others have said make sure you get the newest version with VC. I don't think the older Ld Di version has a focus motor to be compatible with the D5200, but I'm not sure.

To my knowledge Tamron never made a manual focus 70-200 2.8 lens, (at least not a commonly known one). Currently they're only two models of 70-200 2.8 from Tamron and BOTH have a built in focus motor to AF on the entry level Nikon bodies. The early one did not have VC (Vibration Compensation) and the new one does.

As ruifo pointed out, if the lens says USD (Ultrasonic Silent Drive) and has a visible AF/MF switch on the side then it has the focus motor built in to the lens and will AF on your D5200.

The 70-200 non-vc is a great lens! I never have used a Nikon I or II, or the Tamron VC but I really like the photos I get with my Tamron. Plenty sharp and good color!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back