Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 g2

jaomul

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all.

I have often recommended the 70-200 f4 type lenses to people with full frame cameras as the iso abilities now is so good etc.

I may be buying a similar lens soon and wonder about this Tamron, which to me seems to make buying an f4 kind of a bad move due it's price (unless of course weight is a big issue)

Does anyone here have any opinions on this lens? Thanks

I have the G2 version of both the 24-70 and the 70-200. Love them both. Use these lenses for 90% of everything.

I had access to the Nikon versions as well, and compared them to the G2. The Nikon was sharper when cropped to 100%, but how often are we cropping to 100%? The difference was negligible, and the Tamron has better flare/ghost control. It's a solid lens too. I highly recommend it!

The nikon counterpart has a subjectivly better rendering and bokeh characteristics. but it also has an objectively higher price tag.

Thanks, I think my mind was made up anyway, just like to get some user views

I have the Canon 70-200 F4 and wish The Tamron 2.8 G2 had been available. I've shot a bit with it and it is a great lens. Will probably be my next one.

I went through a similar process.

For me, both weight and cost were significant factors.
The Nikon 70-200 f/4 lens is half the weight and half the cost of the f/2.8 lens.
A f/2.8 lens at a similar cost to the Nikon or Canon f/4 lens is pretty attractive, especially if you shoot in low light where lens speed becomes a consideration.
In my case, in the end, the 1-2 punch of 2x the weight and 2x the cost for the Nikon f/2.8 lens, drove me to the f/4 lens as "good enough" for me.

I did not consider the Sigma or Tamron lenses.
For me, Sigma has a major problem, the zoom ring turns in the opposite direction than Nikon :thumbno: The problem is when shooting sports and muscle memory is used to work the zoom. I kept turning the zoom ring of the school's Sigma 17-50 in the wrong direction, and loosing shots :mad:
The pix that I found of the Tamron lens, shows the zoom ring turns in the same direction as the Nikon :icon_thumleft:

Most reactions

Back