Technical over Art? :: Discuss

Lack of technical skill can limit artistic expression, but it's also true that many people allow the technical aspects to distract them from mastering less technical things like composition, mood, and style.

I've always found that the best "artists" are those that are so technically proficient with their tools that they don't even have to think about them anymore--leaving themselves open to concentrate on the other things.

Quite true! The best artists do not have to think about technique because it has become second nature to them. They can therefore concentrate on the artistic aspects of composition.

skieur

I'm not sure I've got this right, but are you saying that a photo taken on Auto is not artistic, but if you alter the aperture a couple of stops away from what the camera would've chosen, that makes it artistic?[/QUOTE]

In so many words “yes”
As stated a “technically accurate photograph should include correct lighting, exposure, and composition (rule of thirds)” this does not include the perspective, motion blur, DOF or any of the camera operators adjustments to add/enhance the artistic aspect of the photograph. A photograph of a water fall in full AUTO most likely would produce a nice shot of a water fall, but would not add the silky effect or highlight the red and yellow leafs on the ground, but a skilled artist with the camera would slow the shutter down\or up,(depending on desired effect) maybe add a filter (for effect) minor adjustments within the camera (in camera PP) to bring out the colors and a wide range of other things to make a nice shot a great artistic photograph.

I'm not sure I've got this right, but are you saying that a photo taken on Auto is not artistic, but if you alter the aperture a couple of stops away from what the camera would've chosen, that makes it artistic?

In so many words “yes”
As stated a “technically accurate photograph should include correct lighting, exposure, and composition (rule of thirds)” this does not include the perspective, motion blur, DOF or any of the camera operators adjustments to add/enhance the artistic aspect of the photograph. A photograph of a water fall in full AUTO most likely would produce a nice shot of a water fall, but would not add the silky effect or highlight the red and yellow leafs on the ground, but a skilled artist with the camera would slow the shutter down\or up,(depending on desired effect) maybe add a filter (for effect) minor adjustments within the camera (in camera PP) to bring out the colors and a wide range of other things to make a nice shot a great artistic photograph.

But if an artist doesn't want a shot of a waterfall with motion blur, but rather want's to freeze the splashes and water droplets in the air and Auto does this adequately, does the fact that the picture was taken in Auto reduce it's artistic merit? I don't think so.

I have my Nikon's picture optimization set to "More Vivid" most of the time because I like the colours it produces, so, because I'm using the camera's ability to boost the colours, does that make my images less artistic for "cheating" and allowing the camera to handle the colouring rather than finding a way to do it myself, or more artistic for changing the settings away from Normal/Default?

Calling what she was doing as art is funny. You need that artistic eye to get that great, maybe unusual, shot. Teach yourself to go both styles. Grab the technically correct shots for the customer and offer the additional style shots as a second disc or something. or a special set of images that catch special moments outside the normal realm of what you normally do. It's a great opportunity to have her to the events with you.

I love this question -- and I don't think there's a singular answer or a hard and fast rule to abide here, it's really about being true to your personal vision.

I workshop with a lot of aspiring and up and coming wedding pros and so many are preoccupied with the technical side of photography - to the extent that they miss decisive moments while trying to determine which f/stop would be most suitable...

The compelling and selling power that incites wedding clients to choose photographer A. over photographer B. is often predicated on that photographer's ability to capture climactic moments of raw emotion.

Clients have little concern for the technical acuity of photographs when what they want is "art" or the "moment".

Don't completely throw all your technical prowess and proficiency out the window, but definitely loosen up and try shooting with ONLY available light, shoot insticintively, and let your intution guide you.

I often advise practicing professionals who feel that they've lost that "creative edge" to second shoot for a fellow professional so that the stress of being the primary shooter is alleviated and you can finally "play" around and get back in touch with your explorational and experimental side. :)

Paul

Toronto Wedding Photographer

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back