Telephoto 4 Nikon?

AlexColeman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What will be my best option for a nikon telephoto under $400? I have a D90, and am looking at the 70-300. Any help is appreciated.

You need to provide a little more information; what sort of shooting will you be doing, do you want a telephoto zoom or prime, is maximum aperture important, full-frame or APS-C sensor?

Assuming you're just after a general purpose zoom-telephoto, consider the 55-200 f4-5.6 VR, for $220, or, if you can stretch the budget a little, then look to the 70-300 f4-5.6 at $420.

Are you looking for clarity large aperture,long lasting great-ness or a permanent lens (one you could leave on you slr and just shoot every distance)?
I would recommend the Tamron 28-300mm f3.5-6.3 non-VC lens. The reason I do so is because it has nothing but great reviews and is said to even be better than it predecessor the 28-300 w/ VC (vibration control). Granted that this lens does not have a wide aperture and there may be times you will have to use a tripod to stabilize it at times it is said to be a very good alternative to having to change lenses to get a decent wide angle shot after getting a tele shot or vice versa. The price on bhphotovideo is $350
Sigma has a similar lens but they do not reach 300, only 200. The Sigma can get you a standard wide shot to a decent tele (18mm-200mm f3.5-6.3) and the tamron cost $287.
If you just want what you asked for, a 70-300 lens, you might as well go with the 70-300 lens from Nikon it is a sub-$150 lens and with the money you save buy a good tripod or monopod (this is a staple on taking tele shots). I would say go for the non-VR one for it is better zooming but get the VR (vibration Reduction) version if you have plans to use it in very low light situations.

If Nikon has a version of Canon's EF 70-300 IS USM I would think that way. The lens is pretty damn sharp but a little slow. The price range your looking at really narrows it down alot!

I am looking for a telephoto zoom, I already have a 16-85, so I am specifically looking for a telephoto for my D90. Thank you.

I am looking for a telephoto zoom, I already have a 16-85, so I am specifically looking for a telephoto for my D90. Thank you.

helpful. :er:

it'd be more helpful if you gave a general idea of what you were interested in shooting. or are you getting a telephoto for the sake of getting a telephoto? what's your budget? tirediron's suggestions of the 55-200 VR or 70-300 that you were originally planning on getting are good options. if you have the money, maybe you should consider the 70-200 f/2.8, you'd be very satisfied with that buy but your wallet might be hurting

Yeah, nature photos. I just need the range, like I said, under 450. What will be my differences between 70 and the 55, besides range. I would appreciate it.

I'd recommend a used tamron 70-210mm f2.8.... they can be had for between $300 and $400. I paid $325 for mine.

There's one on ebay right now:

_DSC1131.jpg

Tamron SP AF LD 70-210mm f/2.8 Zoom Lens for Nikon - eBay (item 220340430150 end time Jan-13-09 06:48:16 PST)

This is a quality FULL-FRAME lens, but it's very heavy (like every all-metal f2.8 zoom). It's not an afs lens so the focus is a bit loud and slow, BUT this lens will blow away any new lens you can buy for less then $800.

Has anyone had any experience with it?
What sort of results do you get?

That tamron is interesting, besides ebay, could I get it anywhere else?

70-300 VR lens. Ask yourself - "Do I really need the F/2.8, and would I rather have VR and the longer reach of the VR".

Since you're soliciting input...if your budget allows for it and w[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]ant a serious, dedicated tele zoom, I'd step up to a professional Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-D. While discontinued, they continue to sell new on the market around ~$800 from B&H or Adorama (Adorama may have used models). You can read more about it at Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-D. Ken Rockwell's website (no affiliation) is a great source for camera reviews and alternate shopping ideas. Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Majdi

-------
D70 with Nikon 17-55 f/2.8G AF-S
D300 with Nikon 70-200 f/2.8G VR
SB-600
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back