terrarium question! (no terrarium experience required)

unpopular

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
One of my hobbies is terrariums. I have a tropical terrarium which I recently installed a humidifier. I'm getting a fair amount of condensation on the glass, which is OK, but I'm going through a lot of water and I am wondering if I should should turn it down without dropping the humidity level, which is perfect at around 75-80% at 95°. Is the condensation on the glass an indication that the unit is as humid as I'm going to get - or should I leave well enough alone until I get a proper humidistat installed?

sorry, I was unclear. I'm wondering if the condensation is any indication that the terrarium is receiving more moisture than is necessary, or if this is more a matter of temperature differential.

One single round of .22 Long Rifle oughtta' clear up the condensation issue...very quickly too, I might add...

I was being a smartass. I know absolutely nothing about terrariums. Someone please educate me.

It's been a while...but the science is pretty simple. It's just the humidity level and the temperature difference from inside to outside. If the room temp is keeping the glass cool enough, compared to the inside of the terrarium, then you get condensation. To reduce it, you can lower the humidity or temperature on the inside, or raise the temp on the outside (room).

Another thing to consider is ventilation. You (usually, I think) want enough ventilation to prevent mold growth and possible health problems for any critters living in there. The trick then is balancing the temp and humidity with the ventilation. That's why it's handy to have sliding or removable panels. You could try to ask Daan (Doenoe). He's been keeping reptiles for a long time and built himself a pretty sweet terrarium etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back