Texture and snow.

ronlane

What's next?
Reaction score
Website
www.lane-images.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I should have stopped a few days ago when the snow was fresh, but I was lazy and didn't want to be cold. I just really like the textures of downed trees and snow. The color versions just seemed like a bad sepia conversion, so I did them in b&w.

1) Zoomed in.

$untitled-2-Edit.jpg

2) Zoomed out.

$untitled-4-Edit.jpg

That's huh.. a pretty good!

I don't know where I find my eye most leading too, and I can't really find a liking for this photo.

Feels to cluttered and dull.

With subjects like this colour could be rather sad. Winter is for b&w. But then it is not easy to catch the glitter of the snow and yet keep the detail in the shadows. Without a sun snow doesn't have the brilliance and cold look.

With subjects like this colour could be rather sad. Winter is for b&w. But then it is not easy to catch the glitter of the snow and yet keep the detail in the shadows. Without a sun snow doesn't have the brilliance and cold look.

I understand what you are saying but this wasn't going to get a glitter. The sun would have to be harsh at this location.

It is busy, to be sure, but there is still direction to where the eye goes. It reminds me almost of a big animal skeleton - the spine/trunk with the ribs/branches all radiating out and to the right of the frame. I think I like the wider shot better, but then I change my mind. What I do know is that I like them a little bit more each time I look back at them.

These shots do much better in a large size. Too small and the detail is overwhelming.

It is busy, to be sure, but there is still direction to where the eye goes. It reminds me almost of a big animal skeleton - the spine/trunk with the ribs/branches all radiating out and to the right of the frame. I think I like the wider shot better, but then I change my mind. What I do know is that I like them a little bit more each time I look back at them.

These shots do much better in a large size. Too small and the detail is overwhelming.

I totally understand that. When I looked at this, I was thinking a purely texture shot to use for later as a background. (May have to copy it and put a heavy Gaussian blur on them and see.

Something like this. I pulled the first picture I could find that looked like it would work. This is my brother and his daughter. It's just a quick edit to see if it's something that may work.

$Rustee and Ash.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with Lenny about the first of these images, but the one of your brother and niece here is outstanding!

I don't think the zoomed in version works without a strong focal point. I think the zoomed out version is great. It gives you a sense of being there.

Zoom in much better for me. Love B/W snow shots too. We had a lot of ice here the other day, went out the next day, and failed epically what I was trying to capture. Deleted every pic

Most reactions

New Topics

Back