In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
sm4him.500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
...did NOT happen for me today. :D

But at least I made you look in my thread. ;)

Finally had a day off that was also supposed to be pretty, and reasonably decent temperature--got up to almost 60, though to be honest, it didn't feel nearly that warm. But certainly warmer than the 10s and 20s we've been having.

Went with a friend up to a local dam to try to get some eagle shots--there were at least seven eagles there last weekend, and they tend to be there every year; closest, most reliable spot for them around here.
We saw three eagles--saw one catch a nice big fish.
Unfortunately, it was so incredibly foggy that there was no way to get any decent photos of them. The fog didn't burn off until almost 10:30. After it finally cleared, we saw ONE eagle, way too far off to bother with. Ugh.

So then we went to another spot that we'd heard about where there is an eagle nest right close to the road, and the pair of eagles that inhabit it have been seen all week, in or near the nest. This is about the time of year they are laying eggs here so generally there will be at least one eagle at the nest constantly.

Nothing. Waited about an hour, not a sign of an eagle anywhere. It's possible that one was on the nest and we just couldn't see it (the tree the nest is in is way up a hill from the parking lot we were in), but I doubt it, as a hawk flew past at one point, and a bit later, a crow actually landed about one branch up from the nest. No eagle even showed up to give chase, which is actually making me wonder if something has happened to them, or caused them to abandon the nest. I'll have to go back, maybe Monday, and check on them.

Anyway, pretty much no pictures at all, the whole day. Got home and sat in the backyard a bit--had several bluebirds (which I've only had in my yard once before), and a Cooper's Hawk, along with my usual backyard crowd. The bluebirds were too far away from me for a good shot, and the Cooper's Hawk decided to hide its face behind a big branch. So, still NADA on the photo front.

I did finally get this:

When Life Gives You Starlings...Take a Picture of Them :lemo:
Jan17_7104editweb.jpg

As always, C&C (on my lovely starling photo LOL), general comments, and witty banter are all appreciated. A little sympathetic commiseration might be in order too. :D

Nice photograph, but it still isn't going to make me like starlings. :icon_pirat:

Those eagles might be up there just yucking it up (ha ha, look at those humans down there, with those black boxes in front of their faces, like they think they can keep up with us...).

Ok so shooting wildlife is like shooting sports, the players never cooperate, don't go the direction you want them to go, or the play turns and goes the other way just as you're ready to take a picture, or some player skates thru your viewfinder just when you were going to get a great shot... dadblast them anyway! lol

The photograph is nice but that's one crazy looking bird as far as color.

Those eagles might be up there just yucking it up (ha ha, look at those humans down there, with those black boxes in front of their faces, like they think they can keep up with us...).

Ok so shooting wildlife is like shooting sports, the players never cooperate, don't go the direction you want them to go, or the play turns and goes the other way just as you're ready to take a picture, or some player skates thru your viewfinder just when you were going to get a great shot... dadblast them anyway! lol

And, just to further that analogy, sometimes you get to the game only to find that they moved it to another venue and didn't bother to tell you! LOL

The photograph is nice but that's one crazy looking bird as far as color.

The SINGLE thing that I like about Starlings is how iridescent their feathers are when you catch them in the right light. Keeps them on a level slightly above stinkbugs and cockroaches, in my book. :biglaugh:

I love those iridescent feathers. I remember a few years back being fascinated by precisely that by the starlings in the parking lot at stonehenge. I never managed to reproduce the colours in them that you have captured here though so it's a good shot.

Sorry you didn't get any eagles, but the blank days make the good shots more special.

Sharon, you know the saying: "A bad day fishing beats a good day at the office". Same for photographing eagles.

And that's a VERY good starling shot. Although I share you opinion (and that of Designer) about their "value".

I know the feeling. I went out for an hour and a half this morning to the local eagle spot. Came home with cold hands and a runny nose.

They just sat in the trees on the other side of the river. Mocking me, I'm sure. As soon as I'd walk away, they'd take off and fly directly away from me.

Sorry you didn't have much luck! I love the shot you did get though! What a cute little guy!

I know the feeling. I went out for an hour and a half this morning to the local eagle spot. Came home with cold hands and a runny nose.

They just sat in the trees on the other side of the river. Mocking me, I'm sure. As soon as I'd walk away, they'd take off and fly directly away from me.

Not happy that you struck out too, but glad to know it's not just "my" eagles that were being contrary. By the time the fog lifted, the sun was right in front of us, so any photos would have been washed out anyway. So we went across the bridge then walked down a trail to other side of the dam. I kept joking that about the time we got over there, an Eagle would probably fly over and perch on a rock right in front of where we had just been. I was actually a little surprised that didn't actually happen, lol.

Same thing happened to me over the Christmas break - the local Snowy Owl has been showing up pretty steadily at easy to photograph locations. My birder friend and I planned a whole day of duck and owl spotting - got some great long tail ducks and scoters and mergansers...no owl.

Next day, I saw him sitting on a light pole on the side of the highway as I was driving home. I have a nice little cell phone snap of him now. Grrrr.

I think starlings are a bit small to be eagle food, but maybe if you continue to hang out with them a nice falcon will get them.

Most reactions

Back