The 16-85mm f/?

domu221

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, so I have the 16-85mm f/3.5-f/5.6 and then I wanted to buy a brand new one and give it away to a friend but no one sells them anymore. Online stores like Ritz camera, Amazon, Adorama, etc. does not have the lens in stock. So if I buy one it'll take forever before it arrives.

I apologize for my ignorance but did Nikon announce something like it's gonna be discontinued or something? I checked out Nikon Rumors and found that there will be a 16-85mm f/4 (which is nice, but speculated to be way way more expensive than its supposed predecessor) but I dont know the full story to it so im not sure.

Should it have been discontinued, it would say "Discontinued" instead of "Temporarily Out of Stock". It's still in production, it's just not top priority and is selling out quite alot. So, you may just have to wait, or buy used: - KEH.com

Mark

I was in that same boat. I wanted to bypass the kit lens and get a 16-85. They show up on amazon about once every two months for 699.99 and they probably only get 5 in stock. Needless to say, they don't last long. I found a reconditioned one at my local store, (Hunts...a couple in the Boston area) mint beyond mint condition. They cut me a nice deal, I was out the door with it for 550. Look around, they are still out there but if you want NIB you're going to have to hunt pretty hard or get on a waiting list. IMO, recon is the way to go.

Might I suggest instead the excellent Sigma 24-60 f/2.8. Certainly it leave you a bit wanting at the far end (and slightly at the short), but it should be considerably cheaper - assuming you can find one. Barring that I'd look at Sigma's other 24-70's (they got a HSM and a macro).

The Sigma 17-50/2.8OS is incredible. A seriously, seriously good lens. I would jump on that in a minute if I still shot DX. I almost had, then I got my D800.

Mark

I've been out of the photo game for awhile so not sure what they have at the moment. That 17-50 seems to be the successor of sorts to the discontinued (for whatever reason) 24-60. What's fantastic about that lens is that it can also be slapped on an FX as well. I know when I upgrade (my D300 is looking rough), I'll be peeking at Sigma to fill some holes on the cheap.

The 17-50 OS is the replacement to their 18-50/2.8. I think they have at least 2 different versions of that lens and all three are DX-only. I'd venture to say that the two versions they offer of the 24-70 (one macro, the second non-macro, and far superior to the first) are proper replacements to the 24-60 you speak of.

Mark

I was in that same boat. I wanted to bypass the kit lens and get a 16-85. They show up on amazon about once every two months for 699.99 and they probably only get 5 in stock. Needless to say, they don't last long. I found a reconditioned one at my local store, (Hunts...a couple in the Boston area) mint beyond mint condition. They cut me a nice deal, I was out the door with it for 550. Look around, they are still out there but if you want NIB you're going to have to hunt pretty hard or get on a waiting list. IMO, recon is the way to go.
I always do my shopping online since i find it more convenient. But i did check out hunts along kenmore square but they said they hadnt had stock for a couple of months now... :/

Might I suggest instead the excellent Sigma 24-60 f/2.8. Certainly it leave you a bit wanting at the far end (and slightly at the short), but it should be considerably cheaper - assuming you can find one. Barring that I'd look at Sigma's other 24-70's (they got a HSM and a macro).
Im giving the 16-85mm as a gift cause one of my friends tried out mine with their entry level and found it cool
Thanks for all your replies!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back