Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
"Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way."
Leo Tolstoy in "Anna Karenina"

I was showing some pictures the other night and someone in the audience asked if everyone in my world was unhappy.
After thinking about that a bit, I came to the conclusion that, for the most part and most of the time, happiness is free floating and essentially unattached to anything that I can see or capture. Unhappiness, on the other hand, seems to connect the person to the world in some way and forge a relationship with the viewer.
These are the only pictures I could find that showed happiness in a way that I could connect to something tangible and wasn't a smile-for-the-camera shot.
I encourage you to post your own here.

(yes, I know these aren't perfect, just on point.)

Remember, two qualifications. - visible happiness and with an obvious, captured reason.

p161746166-5.jpg

p378379520-5.jpg

p378744783-5.jpg

p470619415-5.jpg

Last edited:
1) Looks like kind of a messy throwaway random snapshot, not a fan. Doesn't fit with the others in quality. Also kids seem entertained, but not like "omg raw happiness in its very essence!" (unlike #2!)
2) Awesome shot. Good lines and shapes and composition and exposure and everything, in addition to the intended genuine happiness and love being really obvioius and effective. Definitely the best one of the set.
3) Less artsy and pro looking than 2, but still a very nice photo, and has the intended genuine emotion, and is interesting to dissect visually.
4) Okay image technically, but my issue here is I don't get a happiness vibe from it. It looke more like the red shirt kid is being mischievous and harrassing the other kid. Red shirt kid's face even sort of looks "heh, i'm getting away with this" more so than joy to me.

The last picture :) almost paranormal.

Well, they all qualify. #2 is the documentary photo-journo one that delivers best in terms of composition and context, imo.
#3 I like the most though, for me that's the more endearing image.

I think they are all good and show the feeling of being happy. 2 and 3 are my favorite and 4 remind me of my girls. They are always doing this to each other and both are always laughing hysterically when doing it.

a lot of missed focus and blown highlights!

Can't sleep. I've got a bunch of new pics on my memory card I'd love to post, but they will have to wait a couple of weeks.

Here's one anyways:

camel-trek-jaisalmer.jpg

Last edited:
Can't sleep. I've got a bunch of new pics on my memory card I'd love to post, but they will have to wait a couple of weeks.

Here's one anyways:

camel-trek-jaisalmer.jpg
Even the camels have a smile.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back