the Bean at night

1997zj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello Im new to this forum and just started shooting my s3 is... any help tips would be greatly appreciated! I hope to learn a lot through this forum! oo I had no tripod soo...

thebeanatnight.jpg

Please critique my work, rip it apart and tell me how I can become better...

The pic is nice, I love night photo's in black and white. The white spots (in some cases) are a little too bright and darken up the rest a bit much. See if you can lighten up the sky a little. It is a nice picture, I struggle with night pics myself. most of my feedback to you is what I have heard form others myself.

Without a tripod, this is excellent work.

As far as advice: get a tripod. Take pictures at several speeds. Blend them together and use the best of each to get the effect you're looking for.

It's exposed just right for the buildings, but the sky is dark and the lights are way blown out. Three images to compensate for thos factors and it's a winner.

Far as I can see, considering this is handheld, this is an excellent shot. Good steady hand. Photoshop will help with some of the blown out areas a bit.

:shock:

8 seconds......handheld.......diazapam

gotta be, either that or you were dead at the time and rigomortis had set in.

seriously tho, the angle looks like the camera could have been resting on something, the foreground probably isn't worth including unless you had to.
I like it, its a bit short on sharp, those starbursts are usually very sharp, maybe its the shallow dof at f/4

No Tripod.. There was a light pole that I push the camera against the side of to steady my hand.. Are there any free photo editing programs that can help me with this pic? Ive spent hours on this site in owe of everyones photos!

Free software, I've never used any, but peeps recommend Gimp, Picassa, and Corel Snapfire.
You need some edit software, but, you need to try alter your approach imo.
Shoot a good photo and use edit software to enhance it.
Don't use software to save a poor shot unless you absolutely have to, where is the incentive to take better shots if your gonna use software as a crutch.
Get focused, If your leaving the house to shoot night shots, you have to make the effort to carry a tripod, its almost as neccesary as the damn camera itself.
You could do allsorts with this photo, non of it better than shooting a crisp well exposed shot first time round...if its not sharp, you cant make it sharp afterwards..

Ya I know but its Kinda difficult to carry an Item with you when its at your home and your at your dorm in Boston...I don't think this is a "poor" photo? maybe I'm wrong.

I'm not saying this photo is "poor", I'm just saying...well...what I said.
By far the biggest improvements you can make to this photo is a re-shoot with a tripod.
If your looking for some magical edit software that will get around this idea, it doesn't exist, and I can't help.
Sure you can mess about with it, mebbe get it to a level that your happy with, I don't know what that level is, personaly.....I'd re-shoot.

Maybe somebody has a better idea.....dunno

Please critique my work, rip it apart and tell me how I can become better...

I never asked for a "magical editing software". I just want a software that I can crop, burn straighten. I don't need any pixie dust either thanks!

I dont deserve thanks for being no help whatsoever, and not answering any question you posed, the way you want them answered.

:confused:

Most reactions

Back