The better lens for newborn pictures?

Mikhal

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am about a month out from the birth of my child. What lens would be better, my Nikon 18-55mm lens or my Nikon af-s dx 40mm f/2.8g?

Most of the shots would be in the hospital to start and then at home.

Any help would be appreciated.

I currently have a d7500 camera body

Both lenses will work, but I would prefer the focal length flexibility of the zoom. Take lots of pictures of that new baby!

Both lenses will work, but I would prefer the focal length flexibility of the zoom. Take lots of pictures of that new baby!

Thanks!

Would you be able to offer any other tips or advice? I know to use natural light and avoid the flash because of how the new eyes work. I know there will be mess ups and do overs but I would like to do the best possible. There will be TONS of pictures taken, first child and all, lol

We paid for the professional photographer with offices in the hospital next to the maternity ward to take photos. Based on what she did, I suggest paying close attention to framing. The baby will probably be sleeping, and you can use hospital linens and white balance to strike what I can only describe as a heavenly scene, provided that you get all of the other hospital gear obscured so it's not seen. You'll probably want to open the window shades when the sun is high but not directly shining in for good light. Don't be too worried about shooting at a downward angle, a newborn is small so any perception of smallness with that angle is fine.

Also have some kind of hat or ribbon or something, babies' heads don't come out perfectly shaped to start with, you'll need to do something to mitigate your child looking like Gumby.

When you're in Labor and Delivery they'll probably weigh the newborn quickly, the scale at the hospital my wife delivered in had a nice pretty display, I got a picture of initial weight immediately.

I would avoid the 40mm lens simply because you may not have room to back up. Your role in this is support, so secondary, so if they need you to move, you move.

Any help would be appreciated.
Get the camera set for a good exposure, and ask someone else to get the three of you in a group photo.

In the hospital room, you'll want a short lens, or the 18-55 at the low end.

When you're in Labor and Delivery they'll probably weigh the newborn quickly, the scale at the hospital my wife delivered in had a nice pretty display, I got a picture of initial weight immediately.
I’d suggest a cell phone for this part. Reason is that they asked if I wanted to cut the cord/etc., and the nurses actually took a few pictures for us. It was super duper easy to give them my phone, and they knew exactly what to do.

Also, it was a little hectic, so speed was really key to get anything. (Be cognizant that this is coming from a first time dad in the room, so everything was overwhelming and there were so many directions.)

Back in the room with just the wife and baby, it was much easier to take my time. I’d also personally take both lenses, but it’s easier for me with my m43 lenses.

I’d suggest a cell phone for this part. Reason is that they asked if I wanted to cut the cord/etc., and the nurses actually took a few pictures for us. It was super duper easy to give them my phone, and they knew exactly what to do.

Also, it was a little hectic, so speed was really key to get anything. (Be cognizant that this is coming from a first time dad in the room, so everything was overwhelming and there were so many directions.)

Back in the room with just the wife and baby, it was much easier to take my time. I’d also personally take both lenses, but it’s easier for me with my m43 lenses.
One of the nurses took a photograph with my DSLR for me. I had set it up fully automatic, photo came out fine, she just had to press the shutter.

Obviously there's no guarantee of this, but it would not surprise me if parents with more advanced cameras are common enough that they're understood, if they're in full-auto.

Obviously there's no guarantee of this, but it would not surprise me if parents with more advanced cameras are common enough that they're understood, if they're in full-auto.
Cameras are fundamentally the same as they were 50 years ago. Everybody recognizes a camera, and about the most they need to know is where the shutter release button is.

Everybody has a hard time with mine, pressing the button halfway to focus, then a 2 second countdown before the shutter. I just give them my iPhone

FB.me/CRFinTN Facebook
www.flickr.com/crf8/

Everybody has a hard time with mine, pressing the button halfway to focus, then a 2 second countdown before the shutter. I just give them my iPhone

FB.me/CRFinTN Facebook
www.flickr.com/crf8/
That's why you have to set it to fully automatic with entirely out-of-the-box behavior.

One of the nurses took a photograph with my DSLR for me. I had set it up fully automatic, photo came out fine, she just had to press the shutter.

I understand what you’re saying. It probably depends on the situation and who is taking the picture.

When handing my camera over to other people, I’ve had people nearly drop my camera, not take pictures because they thought they pressed the shutter when they didn’t, focus on the wrong thing, think they needed to change settings, and take pictures at really odd angles (I kid you not, someone once crouched and took the picture pointing upwards with us looking down). I'd rather not look like Jabba the Hutt in the photo, but I'm guessing that person would have done that whether or not I handed them an ILC, P&S, or cell phone... people are just really weird sometimes.

Shoot every day and download after dinner and go through your shots _daily_ and evaluate how successful you were at what it was you were trying to achieve.

spam by yurii reported

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I think I'll use the 17-55 when there are a lot of people and when things calm down a bit and I can move around freely maybe try the 40mm

Reactions: TWX

Most reactions

Back