What's new

The Coffee House

Oh man. After reading Sharon's and Leonore's experiences am I ever glad I married the woman I did. She has four siblings, and we have lots of help and support from all of them. I love my mother-in-law, and my mom considers my wife to be "her" daughter. When we're travelling, we're usually staying at one or the other's houses. Before the kids were grown up, our wills had the kids looked after one of the other couples. So this animosity that I'm reading about is really alien. Reason #5,398 why marrying my wife was a good idea.

This woman is really the first and only instance of this kind of strained relationship we've ever had to deal with in our family as well. My other two sister-in-laws are/were (one passed away) truly like sisters. There's five of us kids, plus two cousins who grew up next door to us, all the spouses and then the nieces/nephews, etc.
In my family, there are staunch liberals, ultra conservatives, Christians, Agnostics, New Age, country-loving, city-loving, highly educated and barely-got-through high school sorts. Some of us have ADHD, OCD, Bipolar disorder, depression--we pretty much embody the saying about the South, "we don't hide the crazy in our family, we sit it out on the front porch, give it iced tea and let it wave at everybody."
And in ALL of that diversity and dysfunction, we have NEVER have any issues getting along and just loving each other.

That's what makes this one particular woman all the worse. I truly do not understand how my brother came to the conclusion that marrying her would be a good plan.

Honestly, I basically just completely ignore the exist of M.A. for the most part. On the rare occasion where I have to deal with her (she usually just refuses to even come to family gatherings), I am polite and try to make it a point to talk to her, but it's always short and sweet, and then she finds some way to disappear.

Life is just too short to let her bitterness affect me, so I just enjoy the time I have with the rest of my family, and let her choose her own path, and my brother too.
 
I just bought a big bag of really good chocolate to take to my sisters house on Christmas day. You know that old saying about you can pick your friends but you can't pick your family. If I did get to pick my family I don't think I could have done better than what I have. Well I would have made room for a Cowboys cheerleader or 3, i'm not greedy, but that's a whole nother story for another day. Merry Christmas everyone :biggrinangelA:

With the exception of the crazy, mean *itch, I would definitely say the same. And I wouldn't even add a Cowboys cheerleader or 3. But I might add the Mannings. :D
 
high point of my day. Bought a little infrared heater at a local mardens for 49.99 marked down from a hundred and something. Not sure how well it works but for now at least i can say i managed to have a good moment of glee. i know, how pathetic..
 
Just kind of wet and dreary here, actually a little warm for the season, but the dampness makes it feel cold (at least to me). It's supposed to be 60 tomorrow, so everyone is getting weird weather.

I have to figure out a Christmas Eve dinner for five people (it's an extremely long story - we never do this). I have recipes but need to get ingredients, which should be crazy today. I'm hoping to do it this afternoon. For now, I'm at work (with coffee of course) - decided to save some vacation for next year so I'm in a few days from now til January.

We don't do a "traditional" dinner for Christmas Eve; we never have. We do Potato soup and Chili, with bread and some other fixings. Delicious, filling, and easy!

Yeah, sounds like it would be all three. As far as "traditional" that could be an interesting exercise, considering that the five people are from four different traditions. I'll go with some nice salmon and some interesting sides and we'll be good.
 
I just bought a big bag of really good chocolate to take to my sisters house on Christmas day. You know that old saying about you can pick your friends but you can't pick your family. If I did get to pick my family I don't think I could have done better than what I have. Well I would have made room for a Cowboys cheerleader or 3, i'm not greedy, but that's a whole nother story for another day. Merry Christmas everyone :biggrinangelA:
My college G/F's were cheerleaders. Probably should have married them.
 
high point of my day. Bought a little infrared heater at a local mardens for 49.99 marked down from a hundred and something. Not sure how well it works but for now at least i can say i managed to have a good moment of glee. i know, how pathetic..
My oldest daughter and her family came over for some early celebrations, We had dinner in the patio ... in shirt sleeves. Tamales, enchiladas, rice, beans and a great pinot noir. I sorta wish all you hosers were here to share in the good weather, fine food and drink.
 
My SIL is the only one who has ever caused this much tension. There was a little bit of friction with my sister's husband, but that was different. He's not a a bad person but just has a personality that sometimes clashed until folks started understanding him a little better. Otherwise, all five of us kids have always gotten along well with each other. My oldest sister's husband is pretty awesome and fit in right from the first, and everyone seems to like Buzz. My other sister has been with her boyfriend for 10+ years and he gets along fine. But my SIL - she was friends with my sister first (same college major) and that's how my brother met her.

As for cheerleaders...meh, they're overrated ;)

Gary, your pre-holiday dinner sounds lovely! We were there in spirit :D
 
Found out today that there are two Christmas dinners (maybe even 3). One at our house tomorrow (16 people), another at my sister/brother-in-laws house (18 people) on Christmas, and I think we may have still another in Ontario at my other sister/brother-in-laws house on Saturday. Then there's another Christmas dinner for those who celebrate Christmas using the Julian calendar. This of course, will be followed by one month of fasting and boot-camp exercise regime.
 
I dated a former college cheerleader. Most tattooed woman I've known, I think. Was an.... interesting experience. Batsh*t crazy.
 
Found out today that there are two Christmas dinners (maybe even 3). One at our house tomorrow (16 people), another at my sister/brother-in-laws house (18 people) on Christmas, and I think we may have still another in Ontario at my other sister/brother-in-laws house on Saturday. Then there's another Christmas dinner for those who celebrate Christmas using the Julian calendar. This of course, will be followed by one month of fasting and boot-camp exercise regime.

That's a lot of dinners!

We spend Christmas Eve at my sister's house. There are usually...damn, I have to count now...9 people there. When my brother and harpy were coming, that made 11. Then I usually spend Christmas Day with Buzz's family. There are 8 people involved, though 2 of those people are small children and so it always feels a lot more crowded and chaotic than it really is.

In both places, there will be wine. Oh yes, there will be wine.
 
In both places, there will be wine. Oh yes, there will be wine.
MIL's here. Pretty traditional type of meal with the nieces, nephews and a few other in-laws. And we will have whine.
 
i never have Christmas with my wife It is great. since I cant stand her family and they hate me, and she cant stand my family and my family despises her. we separate every holiday and split the kids and go our separate ways. it is freakn great though she doesn't seem to like it. Been doing it ever since we separated from before. I really like having the day with my family without having her around. And well, my family pretty much hates her guts. I am thinking of making my birthday a holiday too.
 
Well, I caused enough damage in a couple other threads, so . . . g'nite.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom