What's new

The Coffee House

I love the idea of a Kamado grill

Call me lazy I know, but we grill year round. We like the convince of turning on the gas, hitting the igniter, and within minutes ready to grill.
Gary uses a number of grills, charcoal, propane, electric and selects a grill based on ultimate flavor, food and time.

Gary has an outdoor prep table, which helps significantly in speeding up the efficiency of outdoor cooking. Mary Lou and Gary used to eat out ... mmmh ... about five time a week. Since Gary has been working on his culinary skills, we are now eating out about twice a week. 90% of Gary's meals are cooked outside.
 
Last edited:
@JonA_CT as Gary suggested if we want a little smoke flavor we have wood chips we add to a pan. Now for real smoked flavor I have an electric smoker that holds 40# of meat and has a built in pan for wood chips. We'll load it to the max when we fire it up, then divide the portions up and freeze in seal a meal packets.
 
Cooking in the dark
View attachment 146644

Sent from my RS988 using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Sorry to hear about your power loss...but umm....how do you like that grill? I'm thinking about picking one up from the same company. Just waiting for home depot or lowes to clearance them for the winter.
It's pretty good...doesn't do well out in the elements...besides that it's great.

Sent from my RS988 using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app
 
@JonA_CT as Gary suggested if we want a little smoke flavor we have wood chips we add to a pan. Now for real smoked flavor I have an electric smoker that holds 40# of meat and has a built in pan for wood chips. We'll load it to the max when we fire it up, then divide the portions up and freeze in seal a meal packets.
Gary has an electric smoker as well, but not nearly as large as smoke665's. Gary has a sidecar for it which cooks up the wood chips for smoke then pipes the smoke into smoker. The high heat needed for smoke is separate from the heat used for cooking. Works great, Gary can even smoke cheese this way.
 
Cooking in the dark
View attachment 146644

Sent from my RS988 using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Sorry to hear about your power loss...but umm....how do you like that grill? I'm thinking about picking one up from the same company. Just waiting for home depot or lowes to clearance them for the winter.
It's pretty good...doesn't do well out in the elements...besides that it's great.

Sent from my RS988 using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app
Do you have it covered?
 
Gary has a sidecar for it which cooks up the wood chips for smoke then pipes the smoke into smoker. The high heat needed for smoke is separate from the heat used for cooking

Mine has a chute in the side which leads to a pan just over the heating element. Above that is a pan that holds liquid (juice and water). There is a thermostat that regulates the heat of the unit, and a timer that controls the operation. Basically a load it up and let it do it's thing. Add some soaked chips every so often. Internal probe measure the temperature of the meat.
 
Y'all have some complicated electronics set up. Leo prefers simplicity. She does have a smart tv in order to things such as Netflix and Amazon Prime Video built into the TV, but there are no voice commands or syncing or blah blah blah. Really can't be arsed.

@ Leo: As you seem to know much more about this than Gary ... does it matter what you drink prior to developing? Does drinking Starbucks or a Fresca change the development time(s). From experience, when developing with D-76, if Gary had a few beers the development time(s) got extended.

I don't know if it matters what you drink, but consistency is important if you want your results to be predictable. So whatever you decide to eat or drink before developing with urine, make sure you continue to have the same meal/beverage combo every time you develop.
 
Last edited:
I love the idea of a Kamado grill

Call me lazy I know, but we grill year round. We like the convince of turning on the gas, hitting the igniter, and within minutes ready to grill.

Oh, I grill in snow storms. Usually on the gas grill, but I love cooking on charcoal and wood when I have the time. Honesty, with a chimney starter, it only takes the charcoal grill an extra 5 minutes to get going, and I understand that these Kamado grills are even easier with the way they draw air into the fuel chamber. I haven't had an oven-cooked roast or bird of any sort in a long time.

That's what Buzz does - gas grill all year round, even in snow and rain, and charcoal (Weber, not Kamodo, though) most days in the summer.
 
Only thing on my TV is MLB, CFB, NFL FB, NHL. I record later with jools Holland but never find time to watch it. I also record, God is the Master Artist, and Bob Ross.
 
From my bunkroom. Never forget Irma 2017

69d588463803596c8ac3cc32979ab85c.jpg


Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
 
View attachment 146646 View attachment 146647
@ Terri: You need to find a wine shop not a coffee shop. Gary's fingers are crossed and he hopes the best for you guys.
The wine shop is in the cellar, honey.... ;)

Coffee is more of a challenge .

Still no power, hosers. Widespread over a few counties. Tomorrow will be a better day. Tonight, it's candlelight, red wine and a movie in the laptop. :lol: We'll get by.
When nature strikes, Gary uses a portable butane unit for his coffee.
We have one that's used for camping. Works like a charm, with the added bonus of *not* looking like a bong. ;)

Still no power today, hosers. Spent a couple hours at the coffee house on the town square, charging laptop and phones while getting breakfast and delicious coffee.

They were slammed - the only local restaurant that didn't lose power, according to our waitress. Lots of people drove up here from Florida, thinking they'd escape Irma's wrath, only to find downed power lines and non-stop rain. The waitress referred to them as "refugees," which cracked me up.

Still cool, breezy, and drizzling on and off today, with peeks of sunshine. Lots of businesses are closed. The schools are closed, too, as well as throughout most of North, south and western Georgia. Power trucks everywhere. Definitely got hit harder than we anticipated. I readily confess I thought we were well out of harm's way and would just be getting a nice soaking rain out of this. Whew!
 
Y'all have some complicated electronics set up. Leo prefers simplicity. She does have a smart tv in order to things such as Netflix and Amazon Prime Video built into the TV, but there are no voice commands or syncing or blah blah blah. Really can't be arsed.

@ Leo: As you seem to know much more about this than Gary ... does it matter what you drink prior to developing? Does drinking Starbucks or a Fresca change the development time(s). From experience, when developing with D-76, if Gary had a few beers the development time(s) got extended.

I don't know if it matters what you drink, but consistency is important if you want your results to be predictable. So whatever you decide to eat or drink before developing with urine, make sure you continue to have the same meal/beverage combo every time you develop.

Have to admit that up until this post I thought you were joking about the urine. So let me just say Eeeewwwwww.

I have the Amazon voice activated fire stick and the Alexa. Love both. Just starting to expand on the Alexa to use it for more than music, weather, a few lights and playing Jeopardy. I re-order things from Amazon like our favorite waffle batter and Princess's hard to find special toothpaste just by asking out loud. I can also check on my in process orders. Going all in soon with a few more smart home lights and a smart thermostat. I feel very Jetsons when I get up and ask about the weather or the Sox score or turn down the lights in the living room without moving. I wish Verizon would come out with a voice remote then I could literally do absolutely nothing all weekend long.
 
Have to admit that up until this post I thought you were joking about the urine. So let me just say Eeeewwwwww.

If you're that squeamish about using it when you don't physically have to touch it, what are you going to do when you're out on the beach and get a bad jellyfish sting????:adoration:
 
Have to admit that up until this post I thought you were joking about the urine. So let me just say Eeeewwwwww.

If you're that squeamish about using it when you don't physically have to touch it, what are you going to do when you're out on the beach and get a bad jellyfish sting????:adoration:
Scream ... ?
 
I thought that was a joke at first too, I agree about the eww. Coffee's one thing but, uh, no, not the byproduct of drinking coffee.

You could just get a clapper (clap on, clap off!).

I still just have a stupid phone. And don't want any things talking at me, automated things are already the most annoying biggest PITA sometimes. (OK, so, do you want to, make a payment? OK, got it! I don't know why the voice has to sound so chipper.) Now the telemarketers are getting worse as the technology improves, making it look like a local number and I think maybe it's a neighbor, but nooo, I went on a cruise with them, yeah sure...

Hope you get power back on soon Terri. They were showing on the local news utility trucks heading down there, looked like one heck of a convoy! Maybe they'll get to you soon.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom