What's new

The Coffee House

Thanks for the info on the extra power company help, guys - obviously we need it!

Still no power, so we've been cleaning out the fridge since the trash gets picked up tomorrow. Didn't lose too much and we're grilling some lamb patties tonight that were in the freezer.

We cleaned up outside, and carried all the herbs back to the porch. Tomorrow should be warmer, no more lingering drizzle. Hopefully the power will be back, too - not much point in a store run without a working refrigerator! Starting to wear a bit thin, though I don't like complaining when others have it so much worse. :blue:


My homeowners' policy through USAA covers loss of food during a power outage. It might be worth giving your policy holder a call to ask. I think mine was capped at $250, but it was enough to restock our deep freezer the last time we lost power.
I never thought of that - might be worth a peek just to see if such a rider even exists. It was just our regular freezer, so I wouldn't both filing a claim this time around. But good information, all the same. :)

The power is BACK ON. :boogie: We had some more cleanup to do, then hit the showers, and I'm running the dishwasher now. Later, it'll be time to head to the grocery store to replenish the perishables and frozen stuff we tossed out.

Yay! Yay! Yay!

But my poor sister in central Florida is still without, and likely to be without for several more days. I am hoping she thinks hard about getting a generator now.

Power to the People!
 
JC, the games I saw were good, must have missed the best part of that Wings game, didn't see all that 'exchanging of recipes'. The BlueJackets lost in OT in the championship game, just hope the big Jackets do as well this season. Maybe they ought to keep some of those players up and send some other ones down.

They were saying the Red Wings are having training camp up there, do they usually do that or is it just this season because of the new arena?
 
I knew when I bought this house that I didn't want an all-electric home, and this just seals the deal. Most of my adult life has been in houses with stove tops and hot water heaters fueled by natural gas. I can stand a lot of powerless days if I can cook simple meals and take a hot shower every day.

6 months ago, there was lots of activity around the main roads that encircle our subdivision; natural gas lines have been run. Just not brought into the subdivision - yet. As soon as things calm down around here, I'll be checking back in with the city utilities folks and ask for a progress update on this project. I want a gas water heater and am quite willing to pay to convert to a gas stove top - I'd like to renovate my little kitchen in a couple of years, and that would be sweet!
 
Wouldn't a generator be easier? Remember that a modern gas water heater uses electronic ignition as opposed to a pilot light. As to the stove top, Gary uses electric (inductive) in the BBQ patio and it works extremely well. The inductive has a lot more precision than the gas stove top in the kitchen and generates less heat into the surrounding area. With the inductive you can dial in power (similar to gas or electric - high/medium/low and all the variations thereof) but also actual temps 200F, 250F, 300F, et cetera. The inductive heats up faster. Gas and a flame/fire is much more romantic than ferris based cookware and LEDs ... but inductive works better.
 
Today autumn started and showed its ugly face: cold, dark, wet ... unfriendly ... grey. At a point my camera got so wet, the pictures were full of grey spots, unusable. I had a second body on me with a lens featuring a more recessed front element. Much better for rainy environment. The pictures are better anyway, ultra wide angle is still my weakness.
 
Screenshot_20170913-152431.webp
 
I knew when I bought this house that I didn't want an all-electric home, and this just seals the deal. Most of my adult life has been in houses with stove tops and hot water heaters fueled by natural gas. I can stand a lot of powerless days if I can cook simple meals and take a hot shower every day.

6 months ago, there was lots of activity around the main roads that encircle our subdivision; natural gas lines have been run. Just not brought into the subdivision - yet. As soon as things calm down around here, I'll be checking back in with the city utilities folks and ask for a progress update on this project. I want a gas water heater and am quite willing to pay to convert to a gas stove top - I'd like to renovate my little kitchen in a couple of years, and that would be sweet!

Glad you're back in action. I love my ceramic top range. When power is out we do have gas heat and hot water but neither work since both also need power.
 
@ JC:

Presently- 79F/Sunny
Thursday- 78F/Sunny
Friday- 76F/Cloudy
Saturday- 78F/Sunny
Sunday- 79F/Sunny
Et Cetera- Back to normal
 
I bought this house that I didn't want an all-electric home,

All electric, with a standby generator. No problems.
 
I've thought about a generator, or gas stove... in college when a big blizzard hit we at least had a gas stove in our apt, so that gave us a bit of warmth and the ability to fix a frozen pizza with I hate to think what from the fridge tossed on it. Then we toasted mini marshmallows over candles! lol Not going to be remotely romantic in the middle of winter Gary, you're in paradise out there! In September I could manage without power for a few days.
 
I bought this house that I didn't want an all-electric home,

All electric, with a standby generator. No problems.
They're really noisy, they stink, and they're only as good as the amount of gas you have. Now, my sister in law has a generator that runs off natural gas, so that might be the best option. If we go that route.

My former gas stove top had electronic ignition. When the power went out, we just turned it on and struck a match. ;)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom