What's new

The Coffee House

@ JC: At your age and health ... Gary doesn't know about you playing hockey. Gary has never played hockey but suspects it is pretty damn physical both in contact and endurance. Gary played no-pad tackle football in his 20's, fast pitch softball into his 40's then some slow pitch. Stick with softball for competition, cycling for endurance, golf if you want to retire. And for sheer enjoyment and celebration of life ... wine tasting. :cool-48:
I love playing, like I do softball. I played 4 games this year, fill in. Didn't have to run much, played third, hit the ball over fence, trot.... Skating is way different. It's all in the stride, you can still do it reasonably well even if out of shape or at least in an old man league. Key is to do proper strecthing for about 45 minutes to an hour. I icy hot my legs up good but keep it away from onion sack area, that burns. I am more curious than anything, haven't skated in about a year and a half. Shouldn't be an issue, but the back skating takes a little more dexterity, that's what I'm worried about. Not to worried, Jeff will tell me to forget about it, he knows better than me, I am more apt to just sucking it up and doing it. If I can't get out of the zone from behind the net in 6 strides, it's no hockey for me. Or if I can't turn and redirect side ways smoothly, I'm toast. I think I can do both but will see. I got a pretty hard left handed shot, accuracy may be another thing. I was always able to one skip it low, gave bad goalies fits. My mind may be playing tricks on me though, been known to happen.
As you won't be playing with youngsters ... should be o-kayyyy, Gary says hesitantly. But there are always a few old farts who work out everyday just so they can bust some heads on the pitch/court/rink/et al. Makes them feel big.

Yup that's why Jeff wants me to play because if there is any shenanigans out there, he knows it will end with me, I can be dirty if need be. Seriously though, I was always pretty good on making that first pass out of the zone, that's the main reason. I played with them when I lived in Detroit, there was very little "hard contact" but occasionally you'd get an NHL should-a-been and he would need to be brought back down to earth. Then there is the tough guy after the game routine with the "should-a-been". Always ended well as cooler heads would prevail. Something like, guys we have to go to work tomorrow so sleep it off. Normally the hard contact would come in the form of a guy not keeping his head up and just slamming into someone. One time is all it takes and you keep your head up. Most guys are good for one a year.
 
@JC and per the Los Angeles Time:
"... The moment belonged to the players. The night belonged to Roberts, the manager who manipulated this game like it was his marionette, pulling each string with the proper force at the proper time. In a postseason already littered with managers undone by indecision and miscalculation, Roberts offered a rejoinder: At least one man knows what he is doing."
He truly is a treat to watch, especially with my paid subscription to statcast. He is a master.
 
Dave sees it now. Astros Dodgers in the World Series. Dodgers win 4 straight.
Houston ain't destined to have winners.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
 
Is it Friday, yet?

No?

*shudders*
 
Dave sees it now. Astros Dodgers in the World Series. Dodgers win 4 straight.
Houston ain't destined to have winners.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Woa, woa, not so fast bud. I believe those two are going to WS. However, no Dodger sweep. This is going to be a 7 game nail biter. Astros are too good of a lineup to get swept. Additionally, they are excellent at taking away runs. This series ends in LA with the Dodgers taking home the goods. Will be very interesting to how the Astros sort out Justin Verlander after bringing him in at relief. That dumb move may have ramifications that extend into the next series as well as WS. I hope Cleveland beats the Yanks, they should with Kluber going, that series is going 7 too. I like the Dodgers over the Cubs in 6.
 
Dave doesn't "live" baseball.
Dave just knows Houston teams don't go all the way often. Think you have to go back pretty far to find the Rockets won big.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
 
Bah, who cares? Rangers are playing St.Louis tonight.
 
Thanks Leo, I hurried up and checked the Center Ice schedule. Let's Go Rangers!
 
Bah, who cares?
giphy.webp
 
buprofen and Acetaminophen before you wax!

Already on muscle relaxer and NAISD till I can get in to the Urologist next week. :ambivalence:
 
Hockey players are all nuts. As long as they can still move across the ice in some way they'll put on the skates and get out there. So, JC - Toe Blake! Dit Clapper! Bobby Orr! old time hockey! put a stick to 'em, bleed all over 'em, let 'em know you're there! put on the foil! Or, just try to stay on your feet, take along an ice pack... and don't have none of that stinkin' root beer.
 
Hockey players are all nuts. As long as they can still move across the ice in some way they'll put on the skates and get out there. So, JC - Toe Blake! Dit Clapper! Bobby Orr! old time hockey! put a stick to 'em, bleed all over 'em, let 'em know you're there! put on the foil! Or, just try to stay on your feet, take along an ice pack... and don't have none of that stinkin' root beer.
Listen to Vintagesnaps, damnit.
 
You might want to ignore Gary's advice and not listen to me, hockey fans are nuts too.

A little bit south, of Saskatoon.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom