What's new

The Coffee House

@Dean_Gretsch headed out toward the Gap, and Clingmans this morning. At the entrance, the gate to 441 was open but a warning sign was advising of ice and high winds. There was a lot of traffic (dumb me forgot about it being Saturday). As we climbed into the higher elevations the roads were wet but clear, with a couple of inches of snow on the ground. About 5 miles from the Gap,the traffic slowed to a crawl and the snow turned to mostly ice. Looked like they were spreading sand at some point but the road was still slick, with people sliding around. We continued on at a crawl till we were within a couple miles of the Gap. We could see it around the corner, but just couldn't get there. Traffic was at a complete stop. No choice but to turn around and head back down. Half way down met some rangers headed up with their lights on, and when we got to Sugar Land the gate going up was closed, with a couple more rangers set up as guards. Guess we were lucky to get as far as we did. Bad thing is I didn't get many pictures because of the traffic, and slick roads. The pull offs were solid sheets of ice, and unsafe to get off on.
 
@Dean_Gretsch headed out toward the Gap, and Clingmans this morning. At the entrance, the gate to 441 was open but a warning sign was advising of ice and high winds. There was a lot of traffic (dumb me forgot about it being Saturday). As we climbed into the higher elevations the roads were wet but clear, with a couple of inches of snow on the ground. About 5 miles from the Gap,the traffic slowed to a crawl and the snow turned to mostly ice. Looked like they were spreading sand at some point but the road was still slick, with people sliding around. We continued on at a crawl till we were within a couple miles of the Gap. We could see it around the corner, but just couldn't get there. Traffic was at a complete stop. No choice but to turn around and head back down. Half way down met some rangers headed up with their lights on, and when we got to Sugar Land the gate going up was closed, with a couple more rangers set up as guards. Guess we were lucky to get as far as we did. Bad thing is I didn't get many pictures because of the traffic, and slick roads. The pull offs were solid sheets of ice, and unsafe to get off on.

Well darn! Did you ever stop at the old historic farm on the left hand side going toward Cherokee from Gatlinburg just as you hit the valley on the North Carolina side? I always loved going to that place.
 
Well darn! Did you ever stop at the old historic farm on the left hand side going toward Cherokee from Gatlinburg just as you hit the valley on the North Carolina side? I always loved going to that place.

You mean the Oconaluftee Visitor Center? Yeah it's neat, good place to see Turkey and Elk, in that big field. However if you really want to see Elk, go out on the reservation, past the school (go to the T, t/l, then t/l on a little paved road that runs along the river. They stand in the road, won't move. You can get up close if you're willing to risk getting the crap beat out of you by a big bull. We spent a couple of weeks over in Maggie Valley, couple years ago. Explored that whole area. It's pretty up around the Cataloochee ski area also.
 
Not sure what it was called. It was an old farm that depicted life from the 18th century. I just remember it being near the mountains but in the valley. I haven't been to that area since around 1999 or 2000. The Aquarium in Gatlinburg was still being built when I was last there.
 
Not sure what it was called. It was an old farm that depicted life from the 18th century. I just remember it being near the mountains but in the

Yup that's the Oconaluftee Center. I hadn't been through the Gap rd since before the fire, to Cherokee so I was kinda bummed that we couldn't make it. As we were headed up the effects of the fire were still very much visible on the the Gatlinburg side of Chimney Rocks. Here's a shot still below the snow line the fire took most of the forest on the front peaks. In the distance you can see the trees covered with ice/snow.
Christmas20190105_0351.webp

The other side of Chimney rocks, was still as pristine as ever. We just crossed above the snow line here.
Christmas20190105_0361.webp
 
I got NOTHING to compare with that.
Just had donuts. Have a really bad mug of coffee. 6 days a week I get first mug out of the pot. On Sunday I get molested last mug. Oh well I'm wearing my favorite watch on me today. The Aragon Dive Master. So beautiful.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
 
I'm still limping along with the banged up knee. Probably should see the doc this week. The weekend is beautiful weather of 50's and was hoping to get out and shoot, but staying off the knee as much as possible. Getting caught up on dejunking my photo files from the last few years and transferring onto externals.
 
Ham and Scalloped potatoes was dinner.
The dogs won't stop barking.
Ain't life swell?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
 
I'm still limping along with the banged up knee

Oh No! Did you pirouette left and should have been right? LOL Hope it isn't serious.
 
We arrived in the mountains on a glorious beautiful day, and then it rained everyday we were there until today when we left it was another glorious beautiful day. :confusion: Oh well there will be others, and we have a lot to get done. Plumbers coming to run gas line for fireplace tomorrow, then eye surgery on Wednesday, meeting with architect on Thursday, and Sadie Mae goes in for minor surgery on Friday. If the weather holds, need to rent a dozer for some cleanup work, in preparation for a controlled burn on the property.
 
Ugh Monday morning.
Got a pretty good mug.
Off to work soon

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
 
I'm still limping along with the banged up knee

Oh No! Did you pirouette left and should have been right? LOL Hope it isn't serious.

No dancing :) A first grader boy jumped on me. I should wear a sign that I am not a jungle gym. It is getting better each day and will go to the doc later this week depending.
 
Propane day. Over in Cold Springs.
Going to see if I can get a box of pennies while I'm over here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
 
I was already having difficulty coming up with inspiration for a Valentines shoot with granddaughter, and then @CherylL had to up the ante with her fantastic Milk Baby shot, so I was feeling pretty depressed driving down the street, when I spied a treasure sitting outside an antique shop. Two more treasures inside added and few items from Walmart - I'm inspired!!! It's all coming together now, can't wait to set it up. Thank you Cheryl for giving me the figurative kick in the butt to get me going.
 
I was already having difficulty coming up with inspiration for a Valentines shoot with granddaughter, and then @CherylL had to up the ante with her fantastic Milk Baby shot, so I was feeling pretty depressed driving down the street, when I spied a treasure sitting outside an antique shop. Two more treasures inside added and few items from Walmart - I'm inspired!!! It's all coming together now, can't wait to set it up. Thank you Cheryl for giving me the figurative kick in the butt to get me going.
Why not up her at her own game? Milk is for lightweights... go for the bourbon baby shot!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom