What's new

The Coffee House

Damn...they set up a sham charity to be able to write off their bribes? I hope they throw the book at them. One of my friends has a theory that if you are incredibly wealthy, you are some how a bad person. I give him crap for it all the time because it is such a broad take, but there are times like this where it feels somewhat prescient.
 
Surprisingly none of the individuals have been charged with tax evasion yet. In the case of the parents the charges are mail and wire fraud. Conviction carries a fine of no more then $500k and no more then 5 yrs prison. For the parents involved in the securities/investment business a conviction would likely bar them permanently as well. It will be interesting to see how the judges view the parents participation. They could either lean toward the lenient side and hand out some hefty fines with probation, or they could set some examples.
 
Wow. I never went to college.
Makes me wonder.
Makes my news means almost nothing.
6.13 hours today 17.10 for the week so far.
My phone did not mention rain, but then my phone is almost always wrong on weather. Apparently there is a system that is going to cause all sorts of trouble.
Going to read now and wait for the check.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
 
Makes you wonder what?
 
Jon, I think the guy who ran this scam set up a charity so the parents could 'donate' to that instead of making a direct payment to him. Apparently students took the ACTs/SATs but the parents were told to try to find a medical/other reason that their child couldn't take it as scheduled for their location. Then the guy running this scam would have them schedule it at one of two locations where he had someone take the test and another person there would send in that test instead of the student's actual test. (Apparently students took the test assuming that the score they got back was theirs, but it wasn't.)

Smoke, this guy had someone photoshopping heads onto photos to make it look like a student had played a sport, and other photos were supposedly staged so for those a student would've obviously known the photo was not of a sport they'd actually played (at least not at high school or varsity level, I suppose they could've played it in earlier grades). I read it was considered that the sport had not been played 'competitively'. This was apparently presented as getting an athletic scholarship then the sport could be dropped once they were in school.

Kids may have wondered or had doubts but most likely if their parents said it was OK to do this, kids would typically want to believe their parents so may have shoved aside any misgivings - if the parent said it was OK, then they probably accepted it as being OK.
 
What workshop are you taking Tony?

The :icon_sunny: came out and I did a couple of sun prints but not feeling up to par I ran out of steam. I couldn't even make jello without flinging the lid on the floor! I mean, how hard is it to make jello?? lol but at least there wasn't much water left in the pan. I think I'm just taking it easy the rest of the week sitting here with my box of kleenex. :tongueout:
 
Beyond Auto. It's learning how to more effectively use semi-auto modes. It's the first of many workshops Newtonville Camera will be hosting not that they've settled into their new location.
 
A real camera store! (I 'cheated' and looked it up!). Wish our real camera store was still around. Have fun!
 
Work contract is out for bid. One of the bidders is already here and wants (at least) the GIS portion has called me for a resume and letter of intent (minimum of one year).

They have an office I could walk to from work!
 
Fingers crossed!

Hey we're at 3700 pages - do we win a prize when we hit 4000? have a party?? anything...??
 
Fingers crossed!

Hey we're at 3700 pages - do we win a prize when we hit 4000? have a party?? anything...??
I’ve been told I have a home for as long as I wat it. The GIS manager can tell the incoming company he wants to keep onsite personnel.

We can throw our own party.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom