What's new

The Coffee House

It's been a stressful time here yearly Urology checkup last month didn't go as planned. Yesterday they did a biopsy, so 24 to 48 hrs of taking it easy for me, along with more stress of waiting for results. The waiting throughout has been the hardest part of it all. Ready to move on.

Looking a lot like spring here, and I'm behind on outside work. More rain predicted for the next couple days. At some point I'm going to have to really hit it. Have a lot of record keeping to catch up on, and some photo editing so today won't be wasted.
Good luck on the biopsy results.
 
I'm not sure I'd want to get in one of those planes either anytime soon. The international airport here already cancelled those flights a day or two ago so of course it's been on the local news, people waiting at the airport to catch a flight to get the heck out of Dodge.

Wind's picking up, sounded like somebody was kicking a can down the street!

Probably still to early to determine how bad the shortage and resulting cancellations will be as there's no way of knowing how long it will take to fix the problem, get it approved, fix the planes, and get them back in the air. Some airlines won't get hit as hard as others, based on the number of aircraft in the fleet. As of the news today it represents around 380 planes out of a global fleet of 24400, so how they take up the slack will be a big consideration. I would hate to be one of those with future travel plans, because of the uncertainty. Right now there's no way of knowing what to do.
 
Charlie, you were in the wrong decade, and possibly crazy as a loon.

 
It's been a stressful time here yearly Urology checkup last month didn't go as planned. Yesterday they did a biopsy, so 24 to 48 hrs of taking it easy for me, along with more stress of waiting for results. The waiting throughout has been the hardest part of it all. Ready to move on.
Missed this - fingers crossed.
 
Charlie, you were in the wrong decade, and possibly crazy as a loon.


Oh, I didn't have the decades mixed, just what was playing in my ears at the time.
 
And of course my flight to Ireland next month is on a Boeing 737 Max 8...

It's too far out for the airline to cancel and refund so we have to wait. Debating biting the bullet and rebooking on another airline vs waiting until Norwegian takes action. By then, all the decent prices on other airlines will be long gone... And if they (FAA, Boeing, Norwegian etc.) should come back with some issue identified and "fixed", I'm not sure I'd be willing to take their word for it.
You may not have to do anything, the airlines might reach out to passengers scheduled on the Max 8. They may be re-assigning all those flights right now. You could call them and ask what their game plan is. Somewhere I heard that this fix will take about a month. You'd think they'd have to have backups in their fleet.
 
I'm sure there are a few backups but probably not enough to cover all of the grounded ships. I also doubt that flight crews have to be qualified for everything in the fleet (what are the operational differences between the 737-8 and an Airbus-whatever?)
 
All I heard locally is that they grounded flights on those Boeings, but nothing yet on what should be done about tickets for upcoming fights. Local news just showed people waiting...

Charlie I wondered how you went from '50s Book of Love to '70s CDB!

On a day that's nice enough out to open up a little all I started hearing is a buzz saw. But my nose and head are getting more stuffed up so I guess that's enough 'fresh' air! And now a megaphone for loading buses at the elementary school up the street, don't remember ever hearing that before!

Uh oh, they just issued a tornado warning in Indiana. Apparently damage in KY, looks like it's south of me, and some farther north. Birds still chirping for now anyway.
 
And of course my flight to Ireland next month is on a Boeing 737 Max 8...

It's too far out for the airline to cancel and refund so we have to wait. Debating biting the bullet and rebooking on another airline vs waiting until Norwegian takes action. By then, all the decent prices on other airlines will be long gone... And if they (FAA, Boeing, Norwegian etc.) should come back with some issue identified and "fixed", I'm not sure I'd be willing to take their word for it.
Can I have your camera stuff?
 
I heard a little while ago that airlines in general have 1 backup plane for every 50-60 in use. That makes me cringe a little. Glad I'm not crisscrossing the country everyday anymore.
 
I don't know about back ups but I've seen them stacking up. Late enough afternoon leaving work on the outside loop of the interstate in the flight path they circle like vultures!

Now things quited down, no more buzz saw, no more megaphones, just the wind. I'll be glad when this goes on thru and is done, hope damage for everyone is minimal.
 
I heard a little while ago that airlines in general have 1 backup plane for every 50-60 in use. That makes me cringe a little. Glad I'm not crisscrossing the country everyday anymore.
I don't fly very much at all - in fact I've flown more in the passed three years than the first 57. I've had more issues with weather (and available crews) than actual planes.
 
Now things quited down, no more buzz saw, no more megaphones, just the wind. I'll be glad when this goes on thru and is done, hope damage for everyone is minimal.
Stay safe.
 
@snowbear I haven't flown much in the last 20 years, but prior to that there were times when it seemed like I was living on a plane. No crashes but there were a lot rough rides over the years.
 
Last time I flew was November of 2011. We left out of Vegas in a 757. We caught wake turbulance from a 737. That 57 wagged a bit.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom