What's new

The Coffee House

Heavy rain but most of it stayed south. Flights halted for at least an hour, one roof over gas pumps ripped off, flooding in places. Sun came out and supposedly there was a rainbow but I didn't see nuthin'! Managed to be out of the worst of it so far but still storm watch til later this evening. Birdies chirpin'.

Been back and forth between keeping tabs on the weather and a movie with Joan Crawford clomping like a a Clydesdale with Clark Gable and Ted Healy's Stooges before they were The Three. Some early movies, one from 1929, love the art deco designs and fashions - I wanna be a flapper! (Not really, just the fashions and movie sets and glam).
 
I'm not sure I'd want to get in one of those planes either anytime soon. The international airport here already cancelled those flights a day or two ago so of course it's been on the local news, people waiting at the airport to catch a flight to get the heck out of Dodge.

Wind's picking up, sounded like somebody was kicking a can down the street!

Probably still to early to determine how bad the shortage and resulting cancellations will be as there's no way of knowing how long it will take to fix the problem, get it approved, fix the planes, and get them back in the air. Some airlines won't get hit as hard as others, based on the number of aircraft in the fleet. As of the news today it represents around 380 planes out of a global fleet of 24400, so how they take up the slack will be a big consideration. I would hate to be one of those with future travel plans, because of the uncertainty. Right now there's no way of knowing what to do.

And of course my flight to Ireland next month is on a Boeing 737 Max 8...

It's too far out for the airline to cancel and refund so we have to wait. Debating biting the bullet and rebooking on another airline vs waiting until Norwegian takes action. By then, all the decent prices on other airlines will be long gone... And if they (FAA, Boeing, Norwegian etc.) should come back with some issue identified and "fixed", I'm not sure I'd be willing to take their word for it.
You may not have to do anything, the airlines might reach out to passengers scheduled on the Max 8. They may be re-assigning all those flights right now. You could call them and ask what their game plan is. Somewhere I heard that this fix will take about a month. You'd think they'd have to have backups in their fleet.

For the flights that we are scheduled to take, PVD to DUB, they are currently substituting a larger plane and flying one flight per day from SWF (upper NY) to DUB - bussing people from PVD tp SWF which is 3+ hours. I spoke to them today. They won’t refund our flight because officially it hasn’t been affected yet. They are currently rebooking and rerouting through 3/31. We don’t travel until late April.
 
Checked my flights - no 737 Max 8's, just have the older 737-800's and the 319 and 320 Airbuses for the next couple months.
 
Good thing there's time yet before your trip Sharon, and that your upcoming travel sounds OK Dave.

Storms moving on thru and missed me, mostly flooding to the south. They were showing one intersection in the part of the city where I worked; that main road goes down, down, down for 5+ miles til finally you get to the bottom, and that's where it's flooded with all this water running downhill.

Sun's out so I hope this is the end of it, glad there wasn't major damage.

(And they were showing a rainbow to the south, earlier there was one to the north, didn't see either one, I'm in the middle of nothing! lol)
 
Last edited:
The coffeemaker wasn't ready when I went for it. Got some now and it's hitting the spot. It's Friday and that is nice for some people but I of course must go in tomorrow as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
 
Rain moved in again last night, but the storms had weakened substantially by the time they got to us. Course that didn't prevent us from losing power, an occurrence that happens way to frequently. It's beyond frustration to stand on your dark deck and see the neighbors lights all shining on the ridges surrounding you. For whatever the reason the line that supplies our road goes down at least once a month sometimes more, and it's getting worse. Talking to a real person at the power company is impossible. If you call they route you through a voice mail system, and if you go to their office the person you need to talk to is always somewhere else. Looks like its time to file a complaint with the PSC, that usually gets some fast response.
 
For whatever the reason the line that supplies our road goes down at least once a month sometimes more, and it's getting worse.
My grandparents' house was like that, but they were in town. There was a line that supplied my grandparents' house and one or two other houses on the block. All of the other houses in the area were on a different line. Because there were so few houses impacted when that line went down, it always took them a long time to fix it. Most of the time they never realized it was down.
 
@waday In our case there's more like a few hundred on the line. It's more a case of an old line that is in need of serious upgrades. We put in gas in December to feed a fireplace, and auxiliary/emergency heat in the basement. Also had them put in a tap for a standby generator, but the cost of the other was more then expected so the generator will have to wait till this fall.
 
The sun is shining and there are some high wispy clouds. My phone says it's 56 degrees outside. I kinda believe it.
5 hours and a few for 28.05 for the week so far with a day to go. Will hit the PO and then the box at the front of the neighborhood and then go home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
 
OH Goody, all my babies arrived today.
 
Your what arrived??! lol I must've missed something!

Top Chef ended and Project Runway started, fabulous looking food and fashions (except a few designs that didn't quite work out in the limited time they have).

Just another gray day, and I'm stuffed up. Don't feel too bad but not exactly a ball of fire either. So after getting my grocery order done to pick up Sat. I'm doing... not much! Probably do some online looking/shopping for fabric for a quilt in my head. Or get back to looking at quilt books for block patterns. Or veg out in front of the TV.
 
Your what arrived??! lol I must've missed something!

Top Chef ended and Project Runway started, fabulous looking food and fashions (except a few designs that didn't quite work out in the limited time they have).

Just another gray day, and I'm stuffed up. Don't feel too bad but not exactly a ball of fire either. So after getting my grocery order done to pick up Sat. I'm doing... not much! Probably do some online looking/shopping for fabric for a quilt in my head. Or get back to looking at quilt books for block patterns. Or veg out in front of the TV.

My XF56mm f1.2, XF50-140mm, Peak Design Slide and Godox TT685 flash and Expro Transmitter.
 
Oh.... Those kind a of babies! Nice! let us know what you think. Have you tried or used the Peak Design Slide before? I love mine. Can't wait for photos.
 
WTH, temperature dropping back close to freezing again?????? I'm going ground hog hunting tomorrow!!!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom