What's new

The Coffee House

'I Hate Summer Weirdos' unite!! I like summer OK up til the 90 degree stuff, but this summer I could use it to get hot and brown by July/August and none of this grass cutting in November crap. My allergies/asthma have been terrible the past couple of years, I'm now on 2 nasal sprays, 2 allergy meds, and 2 inhalers as needed, and nothing's even blooming here yet!! lol I used to work at camp and enjoyed summers but that was then, this is now!

But blooming has started at my parent's house which is in a town like 15 min. south of me, it's like a whole other weather pattern (and cooler here 'up north'! away from buildings and the air smells good). I was waiting in the car while my best friend ran some stuff in and of course they're talking... meanwhile the guys that do her grass cutting etc. were trimming and blowing stuff all over and one of them started circling the car like a shark. Next door they were running something, and cars cut thru on their street - geez it was noisy!! I was ready to get out of the damn suburb already and get home to my peace and quiet. Maybe after 20 years of working in the city and coming home to quiet I like it here, peeps can keep their damn suburbs in the summer, I want none of it! lol
 
Pothole patching in the big city starts late winter, then soon it will be Orange Barrel season, the official start of spring. Or wait, was that on Opening Day??

In the town near me (my hometown) is a shortcut that has always been called the Baja because it had large perpetual holes. Since, like, the '80's. They had paved and it has been really nice and smooth but it was holey the other day.

Did I say I like living out in the country?? With the convenience of town 15 minutes and a world away.
 
Does anyone else have SAD here? I feel like it's getting worse for me every year.

I assume you mean winter SAD because that's more common, and I don't have that in the slightest, but I get summer SAD.

What does NOT make it better is when I get judged as some sort of a "freak" because I hate summer, or the constant need to either lie or explain whenever I hear "Oh, aren't you so glad it's finally getting warmer? Isn't it beautiful outside?" And I hear this All.The.Time. Because the assumption is that I must obviously also love summer, just like "normal" people. What is even more frustrating is it's often the same people! Even the ones who know I hate summer seem to forget or not really believe me, and when I reiterate that I disagree with them, they just sort of laugh or shake their heads and call me a weirdo. It's quite frankly exhausting.

Reverse Seasonal Affective Disorder: SAD in the Summer

One of my old friends hated summer, but he totally loved the winter as how he use to say was he felt human. Me I don`t like the winter months as I get ill, but I also hate the hot summer months as find it hard to breathe maybe about in the 60s and I`m happy.
 
Does anyone else have SAD here? I feel like it's getting worse for me every year.

I assume you mean winter SAD because that's more common, and I don't have that in the slightest, but I get summer SAD.

What does NOT make it better is when I get judged as some sort of a "freak" because I hate summer, or the constant need to either lie or explain whenever I hear "Oh, aren't you so glad it's finally getting warmer? Isn't it beautiful outside?" And I hear this All.The.Time. Because the assumption is that I must obviously also love summer, just like "normal" people. What is even more frustrating is it's often the same people! Even the ones who know I hate summer seem to forget or not really believe me, and when I reiterate that I disagree with them, they just sort of laugh or shake their heads and call me a weirdo. It's quite frankly exhausting.

Reverse Seasonal Affective Disorder: SAD in the Summer

Yes, and sorry for making the assumption. I definitely understand, and that sounds extremely frustrating. My wife and I joke, because she's more of a cool/warm weather person, whereas I'm a hot weather person. Don't get me wrong, we both enjoy each other's weather, but we have our favorites.

Taking a walk on a brisk fall morning, or a crisp winter night, can be some of the most relaxing walks for me. Looking up at the stars in winter, or the sounds and smells of snow--I love it. But, I also personally bask in the hot sun, and I thoroughly enjoy daylight outside of work. The feeling of the sun evaporating the rain off the pavement, or a slight breeze conflicting with the heat from the sun... very pleasant for me.

That said, I will not judge if you do not like summer. :1251:

Finally getting back to my normal self. This winter has been very annoying. I had a cold/flu in January, pneumonia last month which lasted several weeks, then just this week got hit with a sinus infection, ear infection, and conjunctivitis (which apparently comes along with some ear infections--I did not know that). Antibiotics are working wonders.

Really, really looking forward to warmer weather and "longer days".

Does anyone else have SAD here? I feel like it's getting worse for me every year.

I've diagnosed myself with SAD, does that count? Have you tried one of those sunlight lamps? My mom has one and never uses it so I've been threatening to steal it.
I have one that is an alarm clock, so it gradually gets brighter up to the time you want to wake up. It can also be used to go to sleep, where it gets darker and darker until it turns off. I do think it works, especially for waking up.

Steal it and try it!
 
plus the humidity does me right in.

You wouldn't like it here then. Humidity in south starts when the temperature reaches 32 in the spring, and doesn't drop until it reaches 32 in the winter. The only reason we don't reach 100 percent humidity is that when it does, they call it rain.

f29a54c63e7d4420bdd20ff625ceac44--southern-quotes-southern-pride.webp
 
plus the humidity does me right in.

You wouldn't like it here then. Humidity in south starts when the temperature reaches 32 in the spring, and doesn't drop until it reaches 32 in the winter. The only reason we don't reach 100 percent humidity is that when it does, they call it rain.

View attachment 171230

Agree with that image you put in, one summer here we had a downpour of rain I got soaked through but hated it as I was still so hot.
 
Blech. I think I have the same weather as you Dave, and I don't know how that's possible half a world away!! lol Maybe we're just sharing and passing it along.

Sometimes in the summer it rains and just gets more humid instead of cooling off. Better here heading north and uphill out of the valley that is the city where it's even worse.
 
Dad called earlier. It seems 'crazy' aunt fell.
No one saw it (or will own up to it anyhow) and she got taken to a hospital in Palestine. They were going to go back to the nursing home so no telling when they will be home. As to weather. Only when the wind comes from W/NW or North does humidity fall under 50%. But the prevailing winds come from SE. The sun has made it through. I'm watching the Gatornationals on DVR.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
 
Sometimes in the summer it rains and just gets more humid instead of cooling off. Better here heading north and uphill out of the valley that is the city where it's even worse.

That's because it's so hot that as soon as the rain clouds pass all that water immediately starts evaporating, adding to the moisture in the air. We get the same problem here when the summer showers roll through.
 
I’d rather be baked than steamed. :icon_cool:
 
Winter is my preference too, the air quality is horrible in the summer, especially the last three years worth of forest fires.
 
To all those who don't like summer you probably dont want to come here to Perth, Western Australia lol. Hottest summer day recorded here was 46 Celsius. I still remember it because my father in law still went out and played 18 holes. We regularly have a weeks ranging from 35 to 38 Celsius . Autumn now so today a cool 25 Celsius.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
 
One of my old friends hated summer, but he totally loved the winter as how he use to say was he felt human. Me I don`t like the winter months as I get ill, but I also hate the hot summer months as find it hard to breathe maybe about in the 60s and I`m happy.

I don't like the same weather all the time. My happiest range is probably 40s through 60s. If the summer never got hotter than 75, I'd be better with it. Anything hotter than that and everything just gets more difficult for me.

Yes, and sorry for making the assumption. I definitely understand, and that sounds extremely frustrating. My wife and I joke, because she's more of a cool/warm weather person, whereas I'm a hot weather person. Don't get me wrong, we both enjoy each other's weather, but we have our favorites.

Taking a walk on a brisk fall morning, or a crisp winter night, can be some of the most relaxing walks for me. Looking up at the stars in winter, or the sounds and smells of snow--I love it. But, I also personally bask in the hot sun, and I thoroughly enjoy daylight outside of work. The feeling of the sun evaporating the rain off the pavement, or a slight breeze conflicting with the heat from the sun... very pleasant for me.

That said, I will not judge if you do not like summer. :1251:

Oh, I don't think you did anything wrong by assuming SAD referred to winter SAD. It is pretty much the default. In fact, having it in response to summer is usually referred to as 'reverse SAD.'

Buzz and I are exactly the opposite. I get him through the winter and he gets me through the summer. I tease him about buying him a giant heat lamp and a big rock so he can bask like a lizard all winter long. And he'll build me a big walk-in freezer so I can cool off in the summer :)

The only time I can enjoy being in hot weather is if I am right next to a large body of cold water so I can cool off at any time. Otherwise, I basically hide out in air-conditioned spaces with dim lighting from probably mid-to-late June until the end of September.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom