The Coffee House

I have a lot of memories of barn swallows from my boyhood...

The last 48 hours of local weather:
* Saturday afternoon: I'm outside in shorts and a tee shirt, potting some herbs in the sun. I get a slight sunburn.

* Saturday night: We're out on the screened in porch, marveling at the beautiful sunset and having a glass of wine.

* Sunday afternoon: A storm rolls through. Not a lot of rain, and it stops after a couple of hours. Then the wind picks up. We lose power.

* Sunday evening: The power comes back on. The wind has become more violent. Earlier in the day, expecting rain, I had brought in the 2 open bird feeders but left the tube feeder outside, so the birds had food during the rain. I noticed it was completely empty at 6 PM. The wind was banging the feeder so violently against the squirrel baffle below that it was knocking the seeds out, and I watched the last of it flying away in the wind.

* 9 PM Sunday: A tornado warning lights up our cell phones, and we head to the basement with 2 yowling, protesting cats. We listen to the wind over the tornado siren for half an hour before we venture back upstairs.

This morning, the sun is shining, and skies are clear. The wind is still gusting and steady, though I can keep seeds in the feeder. We have a lot of debris to pick up in the yard. Ah, Spring!
Glad to hear no one was hurt and no real damage. The kitties I've known get pissed, then get over it quickly. I wish humans were the same way.

Not much, locally, last night, though it was pretty windy and humid, so we turned on the A/C util this morning. We drove through the back end of the rains on the morning commute - those large, hard hitting rain drops. It's still fairly windy at work - the tree limbs are doing a slow Cha-Cha and my desktop UPS has kicked in a few times (lights flickered a couple of times.

Heartbreaking to see Notre Dame burning down, so so sad.

The last 48 hours of local weather:
* Saturday afternoon: I'm outside in shorts and a tee shirt, potting some herbs in the sun. I get a slight sunburn.

* Saturday night: We're out on the screened in porch, marveling at the beautiful sunset and having a glass of wine.

* Sunday afternoon: A storm rolls through. Not a lot of rain, and it stops after a couple of hours. Then the wind picks up. We lose power.

* Sunday evening: The power comes back on. The wind has become more violent. Earlier in the day, expecting rain, I had brought in the 2 open bird feeders but left the tube feeder outside, so the birds had food during the rain. I noticed it was completely empty at 6 PM. The wind was banging the feeder so violently against the squirrel baffle below that it was knocking the seeds out, and I watched the last of it flying away in the wind.

* 9 PM Sunday: A tornado warning lights up our cell phones, and we head to the basement with 2 yowling, protesting cats. We listen to the wind over the tornado siren for half an hour before we venture back upstairs.

This morning, the sun is shining, and skies are clear. The wind is still gusting and steady, though I can keep seeds in the feeder. We have a lot of debris to pick up in the yard. Ah, Spring!

Yikes! Not a fun ending to the weekend. Glad you are all ok. Overall a beautiful weekend here through yesterday afternoon. We had t-storms here last night that kept the pup (and therefore me) awake and terrified. Looks to be sunny and windy tomorrow.

The kitties I've known get pissed, then get over it quickly. I wish humans were the same way.
Truth! :lol: The indignity of being swept up and carried downstairs without so much as a treat to make it better! Then, being cats, they settled in and refused to come back upstairs with us. They stayed down there another hour. :rolleyes:

We had t-storms here last night that kept the pup (and therefore me) awake and terrified.
Poor little guy! Dogs are more sensitive to weather, I think. As much as the cats cower and run when there are fireworks outside, thunder/high winds don't faze them a bit. My mom's Airedale used to crawl into the bathtub and hide during thunderstorms.

Heartbreaking to see Notre Dame burning down, so so sad.
It's awful to see, isn't it? All that history...the last I heard, first responders were getting as much art and artifacts out of there as they could.

I had many happy holidays as a child in Paris, went to Notre Dame many times while there just so sad to see.

Shopping has become way too easy these days. Simply google something - like for example "hiking pants for women" and then like magic your Facebook and Instagram feeds will magically be filled with all of these different styles. I don't even have to surf the web...

Seriously though - all I wanted to do was find a 2nd color of my favorite hiking pants and since I couldn't remember where/when I got them and I must have cut off the tags... well damn there are a lot of options! My feeds are flooded with nothing but. Haven't found my exact ones yet. I thought they were Eddie Bauer but if they ever made this style they don't now.

That was what was said on the news, that Pres. Macron announced it would be rebuilt. I had coverage on much of the afternoon watching as it happened. I remember noticing light in the spire and then it dawned on me what it was; that probably acted like a flume and pulled fire up. Then I'd left the room for a few minutes and came back and glanced at the TV and thought - the spire is gone! they showed footage of it toppling. The scaffolding wasn't exactly helping it seemed, because you could tell at least the fire wasn't spreading but it wasn't going out either.

I'm glad at least the towers seem intact; I thought I saw fire starting to show in a window and my heart sank that it may have spread there. Glad they were able to get out many valued items, and statues on top apparently had already been taken down during construction.

Terri glad you got thru your weekend! Just saw there was a tornado that touched down well north of me; last evening the weather beeping thing on TV went off and I looked to be on the fringes so just got wind off and on. Supposed to be nice now for about a day and a half.

Shopping has become way too easy these days. Simply google something - like for example "hiking pants for women" and then like magic your Facebook and Instagram feeds will magically be filled with all of these different styles. I don't even have to surf the web...

Seriously though - all I wanted to do was find a 2nd color of my favorite hiking pants and since I couldn't remember where/when I got them and I must have cut off the tags... well damn there are a lot of options! My feeds are flooded with nothing but. Haven't found my exact ones yet. I thought they were Eddie Bauer but if they ever made this style they don't now.

I hate that when you research something the item follows you everywhere. Double worse if you google something for a friend to help and then that too follows you. Data mining to get you to buy.

Most reactions

Back