The Coffee House

A Florida Man will take care of it.

Maybe he can come up and take care of the 12' gator recently spotted on a lake less then 30 miles west of of me. I thought we were well north of Gator territory, but apparently not.

Remember, you are living on their (gators'...) land. Who was first?

Remember, you are living on their (gators'...) land. Who was first?

Actually we were first. Gators stings this far north has only been a recent occurrence. I'm happy to let them have their space. Did a float trip in kayaks on the Peace River in S FL a couple years ago. Got up close and personal with a bunch of Gators, including a 14' one called Grumpy, won't do that again!

I know what I'm doing while the kids are hunting eggs!!!!!
56711089_2519369831623982_1174475213866270720_n.jpg

RECIPE:
1 shot Godiva Dark Chocolate Liqueur
1 shot Salted Caramel Vodka
A splash of half and half

Hey y’all. It’s weird to have no work at all. I’ve spent a few minutes talking shop with the boys at the brewery, but haven’t even thought about school.

Luray has been beautiful, save for some scary weather on sunday night. Tornado watches are no joke in an RV. We checked out the caverns yesterday, and hit up Skyline drive today.

Hope everyone has a great rest of the week!

Checks are late, SIGH. 16.26 for the week so far. My phone app said nothing about rain. Slight drizzle as I did Marquee. I'm told it will storm later. Just another day in paradise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

At least whatever the weather did it did not kill the power. A pasta and chicken dinner.
Price is Right on the DVR. German Chocolate cake later.... yummy!

What? A lovely day. It just stopped raining for the first time today. It looks like more is coming. 5 and roughly a half hour today.
22.07 or so for the week so far.

wait, did you 'comment' on it or were just talking in the car??

No comments, no searching, looking, no nothing. We were in the car driving home and made the comment. 30 mins later the ad popped up on FB feed. I know Google now (on phone) listens for voice commands, but now I'm wondering if its listening to more.
I absolutely believe phones are listening to us--information sells like crazy. What you describe isn't really new, unfortunately, and you can find many other examples on the internet. Like you, I've had things pop up that I never searched for and were only discussed verbally between the wife and I. I remember one article (can't find it now, sorry) talking about how they started to make up fake conversations about things that they never would have searched for (e.g., travel to certain countries, adopting pets, etc). Sure enough, they started seeing ads for these things.

After this stuff happened to me, I pretty much turned off all microphone access to nearly every app. I also don't allow the use of "Hey Siri" on my phone, and I wouldn't personally recommend it to anyone. I do sometimes use Siri, but only manually. With "Hey Siri" or "Hey Google" (I don't know what Google's version is), the microphone is essentially always on and recording information..waiting for the voice commands. I absolutely believe that Apple, or Google, or any number of apps on my phone, could be listening in, as well. Which is why I removed microphone access. Not sure if that'll do anything, but I hope it does.

Plant the phone in a BIG bucket of water lol
But seriously, Mobil phones as good as they are can be so intusive, some people can’t seem to live without them. Lol

wait, did you 'comment' on it or were just talking in the car??

No comments, no searching, looking, no nothing. We were in the car driving home and made the comment. 30 mins later the ad popped up on FB feed. I know Google now (on phone) listens for voice commands, but now I'm wondering if its listening to more.
I absolutely believe phones are listening to us--information sells like crazy. What you describe isn't really new, unfortunately, and you can find many other examples on the internet. Like you, I've had things pop up that I never searched for and were only discussed verbally between the wife and I. I remember one article (can't find it now, sorry) talking about how they started to make up fake conversations about things that they never would have searched for (e.g., travel to certain countries, adopting pets, etc). Sure enough, they started seeing ads for these things.

After this stuff happened to me, I pretty much turned off all microphone access to nearly every app. I also don't allow the use of "Hey Siri" on my phone, and I wouldn't personally recommend it to anyone. I do sometimes use Siri, but only manually. With "Hey Siri" or "Hey Google" (I don't know what Google's version is), the microphone is essentially always on and recording information..waiting for the voice commands. I absolutely believe that Apple, or Google, or any number of apps on my phone, could be listening in, as well. Which is why I removed microphone access. Not sure if that'll do anything, but I hope it does.

I agree they are listening. I agree it's creepy/intrusive/annoying. For me, the convenience of "Hey Siri" and "Alexa" outweigh the negatives. If they want to listen to us I'm sure they are bored out of their minds 99% of the time. As long as I don't have to dial our favorite pizza place, look up the weather, turn off my own lights, search for a good radio station, scroll around on Netflix looking for a specific show or touch my phone while driving, I'm ok with the trade off.

@waday On the news all the time are people complaining about compromising or nude photos of them showing up on the internet. Has me so worried I put black tape over the lens on my phone.:biggrin-93:

I agree they are listening. I agree it's creepy/intrusive/annoying. For me, the convenience of "Hey Siri" and "Alexa" outweigh the negatives. If they want to listen to us I'm sure they are bored out of their minds 99% of the time. As long as I don't have to dial our favorite pizza place, look up the weather, turn off my own lights, search for a good radio station, scroll around on Netflix looking for a specific show or touch my phone while driving, I'm ok with the trade off.
I'm personally not ok with it, because I see it as an invasion of privacy. If I allow them to spy on me, it'll only get worse. If they want to record me, they need to make it known clearly, not through some legal jargon buried within thousands of pages of terms and conditions and privacy policies.

I'm ok with a few more taps, but: we don't have a "favorite" pizza place, I don't like Apple's Weather app (nor do I like Siri's response), we don't have a smart house or smart appliances, and my car only has an aux input and no phone interaction.

@waday On the news all the time are people complaining about compromising or nude photos of them showing up on the internet. Has me so worried I put black tape over the lens on my phone.:biggrin-93:
That's a good idea. I'd do that, if I didn't use my camera so much. I do usually do that on my laptop/computer.

Did you hear about that Facetime bug that allowed people to spy on you extremely easily? Scary.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back