What's new

The Coffee House

I’m curious about their collision avoidance programming and what type of decision making criteria is being used. If the straight ahead collision can’t be avoided by braking, will they swerve to avoid? Can the car determine what is ahead in the next lane before it swerves? What if the options are to collide or to go off the road?
 
I’m curious about their collision avoidance programming and what type of decision making criteria is being used. If the straight ahead collision can’t be avoided by braking, will they swerve to avoid? Can the car determine what is ahead in the next lane before it swerves? What if the options are to collide or to go off the road?
This is an old argument, in a loose, loose situation what would the AI do ver what would a human do
 
I’m curious about their collision avoidance programming and what type of decision making criteria is being used. If the straight ahead collision can’t be avoided by braking, will they swerve to avoid? Can the car determine what is ahead in the next lane before it swerves? What if the options are to collide or to go off the road?

I have the same concerns. The sensors may be able to determine a set of parameter, but not all situations are cut and dried. Many years ago there was a classic case involving a car and a truck here in the state. A mother with child was attempting to back out of a drive onto a highway. Witnesses said she stopped, turned her head and looked at the on coming truck, turned her head the other way and backed directly in the path of the truck. She and the child died in the wreck. The driver was legally operating his truck well within the speed limit. He later said that he let off the accelerator when he saw the woman and was preparing to brake, but when he saw her look at him he assumed she would remain stopped. The family sued the trucking company on behalf of the child and won a five million dollar settlement. Despite the witness ttestimony, the jury decided that the driver should have anticipated she would back out, and taken appropriate collision avoidance.

So how in the world do they really believe they can program a machine to learn how to handle all situations.
 
Last edited:
As machines get smarter people get lazier. You would think with a freakin' mega computer in everyones hands people would get smarter, not just shoot selfies and look at facebook all day. The next generation will be more than happy to be glued to thier phone rather than steering the vehicle. Just us old geezers prefer to be in control of our own fate.
 
I was thinking it could work, maybe, if it goes from one point to another; but then if it will be in the street with other cars, maybe not so much. If it was on a track, that seems more workable than this.

And I wondered why Leo was talking about going off to a carousel, I couldn't imagine under what circumstances she'd go ride a horsey up and down around in a circle.
 
I was thinking it could work, maybe, if it goes from one point to another; but then if it will be in the street with other cars, maybe not so much. If it was on a track, that seems more workable than this.

And I wondered why Leo was talking about going off to a carousel, I couldn't imagine under what circumstances she'd go ride a horsey up and down around in a circle.
As I posted it’s a generation joke from a film of a past generation
 
I’m curious about their collision avoidance programming and what type of decision making criteria is being used. If the straight ahead collision can’t be avoided by braking, will they swerve to avoid? Can the car determine what is ahead in the next lane before it swerves? What if the options are to collide or to go off the road?
Our CR-V does a fair job of keeping you between the lines, letting you know when there's another vehicle beside you (I haven't noticed bicycles, yet), and slowing down (rapidly) when something in front of you is slowing or stopping.
 
Ferry terminal at Dock 72 to Cumberland Gate (Navy Yards, I guess); if Google is spotting them correctly, it appears to be just a few blocks.

And 2 blocks off the BQE? Still a cluster.

I was thinking it could work, maybe, if it goes from one point to another; but then if it will be in the street with other cars, maybe not so much. If it was on a track, that seems more workable than this.

And I wondered why Leo was talking about going off to a carousel, I couldn't imagine under what circumstances she'd go ride a horsey up and down around in a circle.
As I posted it’s a generation joke from a film of a past generation

Extra Internet points to all who get the reference :D
 
A friend just got a puppy, a boxer.

Boxers are my other favorite breed. We got Lola when she was just a puppy, lived to be almost 13, and was the funniest goof ball ever. She had facial expressions, and the noises she would make as if she was trying so hard to talk. Can't wait to see the pictures.
 
She had facial expressions, and the noises she would make as if she was trying so hard to talk.

I always said if one day the first boxer we had ever said anything to me, I'd answer before I realized he actually spoke, because he wanted to talk so badly too. You could see in his facial expressions he wanted to answer.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom