What's new

The Coffee House

Don't laugh, I own a sewing machine. An old Singer. You know, the cast iron one. No fancy stitches but, will sew denim! Got it at a garage sale probably 25 yrs ago now. The woman that sold it to me was moving into an assisted living complex. She was very protective of it. Complete with cabinet, owners manual, button hole attachment and can of oil. Showed me where to oil it, and made me promise not to sell it for a profit. I assured her that was not my intention. Could see she was attached to it and asked about the 10.00 price. She said, "It's what the trashman said he'd charge to haul it away." Lol. Pleased with the price, but had no idea how to use it!

Didn't buy it to make things. Raising two boys by myself, I knew it would be cheaper to patch or repair, than replace. Luckily, a female friend of mine came to the rescue. She was very patient and helped a lot. Did cost me a nice dinner. Totally worth it. It's served me well, and not going anywhere. In fact, my youngest son now has three boys. He brings things over to be mended and I'm slowly showing him how to use it. Maybe that's where it will go when I'm gone.
 
Last edited:
I don’t sew. Wanted to learn a few years ago and was looking for a class but they were all during the day when I’m at work. I do crochet and have made hat/scarf sets and some blankets. My hands get crampy so it’s not something I can do easily.

Cold and sunny here today. I didn’t do much. My late night Milky Way chase up to Maine and back really wiped me out. I slept a bit, walked the dogs and camped out on the couch for the rest of the day. Caught up on my dvr, played some Bubble Witch, ordered take out, thought about doing some laundry but that made me tired...


I learned at a young age. I made my first shift dress at age 7. When I got to high-school I wanted to take an advanced sewing class, but the school said I had to take the 101 class first. The first week I stopped others in the class from cutting out their pieces wrong and then had half the class asking my help. The teacher asked if I would be her assistant lol. She also said not to take the advanced class because it wasn't really advanced and would be a waste of my time. It was an easy A, but a pain being the assistant. Most in the class couldn't thread a needle.

I made a terry cloth track suit in Home Ec class back in the 80’s lol. That’s the only time I’ve used a sewing machine.
At least you got to make something interesting. We had to make aprons. Aprons. :048:

If memory serves, we were supposed to make a simple smock type dress but we went all Norma Rae on the teacher and she gave in lol.

I don't remember what the 101 class made. Maybe it was a smock with the flutter sleeve. I made pink bell bottom jeans with a pink seersucker denim style jacket. A second outfit was a seersucker plaid pants & jacket. Matching up the pattern was a bear.
 
I've sewn one other thing (other than the occasional button or uniform type patch): when the kids were little, they had to do a "March of Saints" type of thing at (Catholic elementary) school. Number one picked St. Patrick (I don't recall lazy lobster's pick). We decided to made the costume so we came up with a brown and dark green robe & cape combo; I added a gold Celtic cross applique to the back. I don't know what the material was, but it was heavy, kind of like a velour.

I'm looking at beginner's studio light kits - I might have a product job for a friend, if she needs someone to shoot. I'm leaning toward the Flashpoint 320M or the Godox SKII 300 or 400.

MLW and I are thinking about a small day trip, this weekend, if she doesn't get OT at the WO. I was thinking about hitting the coast and try what SquarePeg just did, but there is no way MLW will be getting up THAT early, so maybe mountains.
 
Just been down to the beach to see the damage from the storms, the beach has changed shape and worse the small path along the beach to the pub has been washed out. May have time to post pics later, I have to stop being a photographer and be a hubby, jobs to do, shopping to get.....
 
Just been down to the beach to see the damage from the storms, the beach has changed shape and worse the small path along the beach to the pub has been washed out. May have time to post pics later, I have to stop being a photographer and be a hubby, jobs to do, shopping to get.....

Which beach was that? I know UK had bad storms, didn't realise they were that bad.
 
Hayling island, the beach closest to us is piled up with stones as sea defences which are washed away every storm
Down at the ferry crossing the last few years has seen a lot of erosion of the banks. In one place the beach was the same night as the road now it’s 6feet lower. At the inn on the beach a roadway and some of the car park has been washed away
 
... We had to make aprons. Aprons. :048:
What's wrong with aprons? I have a bunch of them... leather ones for welding and forging, a vinyl one for painting & chemical work, a heavy cotton one for wearing around the lathe/mill... nothing at all wrong with a good apron.
I think it has more to do with the how and why aprons were required/made as opposed to the aprons themselves?
Bingo. ;)
 
... We had to make aprons. Aprons. :048:
What's wrong with aprons? I have a bunch of them... leather ones for welding and forging, a vinyl one for painting & chemical work, a heavy cotton one for wearing around the lathe/mill... nothing at all wrong with a good apron.
I think it has more to do with the how and why aprons were required/made as opposed to the aprons themselves?
Bingo. ;)


But of course @tirediron already knew that. He was just pulling our pigtails.
 
An old friend has fallen. This sign for shipping to warn of a underwater cable has been there forever
The path to the pub you can see the night of the soil on the wall on the far side
 

Attachments

  • EF7EAC85-15C2-4DF6-A2A7-9E3725AC1FA1.webp
    EF7EAC85-15C2-4DF6-A2A7-9E3725AC1FA1.webp
    66.4 KB · Views: 61
  • A1676297-B637-48EB-81B9-8A15AA214278.webp
    A1676297-B637-48EB-81B9-8A15AA214278.webp
    79.9 KB · Views: 50
The beach /sea defences are being put back one truck load at a time
In the far background there is a green sign, the road used to go as the sign
208CAF5D-712A-49B1-A318-8B1994B99CF5.webp
 
Cloudy and raining here.
 
It may of rained today, but I had a stonking day at Mums then went for a mooch round town.
 
Another rainy day here, as well, hosers. A shocker, I know.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom