What's new

The Coffee House

You guys in the UK might as well just stay inside!

We had winter, snow, bitter cold, then sun today, which at least looks pretty out if deceptively cold. Then the usual warm up and rain, gloom 'n doom, why not?! lol

That turned out nice Charlie, and I actually kind of like that fabric.
(edit - I got to thinking the thread breaking might have been tension, I remember having to adjust it on my mom's sewing machine.)
 
That turned out nice Charlie, and I actually kind of like that fabric.
(edit - I got to thinking the thread breaking might have been tension, I remember having to adjust it on my mom's sewing machine.)
Thanks. Yes, I think the main problem was tension, though the zipper was also more of a challenge than I could handle with the machine. Yeah, the fabric really caught my eye when I saw it. It's a small piece, maybe 1/2 yard, from a quilting shop; they had a bunch of these for a few dollars, each.
 
That turned out nice Charlie, and I actually kind of like that fabric.
(edit - I got to thinking the thread breaking might have been tension, I remember having to adjust it on my mom's sewing machine.)
Thanks. Yes, I think the main problem was tension, though the zipper was also more of a challenge than I could handle with the machine. Yeah, the fabric really caught my eye when I saw it. It's a small piece, maybe 1/2 yard, from a quilting shop; they had a bunch of these for a few dollars, each.
You did a great job! It's functional and looks terrific - I like that fabric as well. I agree the thread breaking is likely a tension issue; it can be frustrating to get it right.

I sewed quite a bit at one time. Still have a late '60's-era Singer, very basic with a lot of accessories. :heartpump: I'm no longer making myself clothes but it's still a handy thing to have for ripped seams or adjusting hems. I've taken it to various repair shops over the years for the sewing machine equivalent of a CLA. :) The repair folks love it, and I'm told this thing could run almost indefinitely.
 
Well, it's ugly as all get out, but it's done. I made a zippered bag for my test lancets because the new tester case only has an open pocket. It seems to work OK, even though the zipper stitches are a but close to the teeth - it doesn't always open easily. I ended up sewing in the zipper by hand because I kept breaking the thread.

View attachment 187770 View attachment 187771 View attachment 187772

Great job! Zippers are tricky to sew. I agree with @terri that the thread could break due to the tension setting. I used my grandmother's old Singer for many years. The zipper foot was long lost and no backstitch. I think it was a t 1920's model. Got a new fancy machine 20 years ago. I don't sew as much anymore. Too hard on the back sitting over the machine.
 
Beautiful short lived sunny day here. The wind is too cold. The grands stopped by for a few late Mardi Gras photos and some St. Pat's photos. The 3yo did not want to cooperate today. I even had 2 surprises each for them as bribes. The oldest is getting too tall for my backdrop. She barely fits sitting. I'll probably get a different one before next winter and have been looking at a 2 strobe light cheap set.
 
Snow bear nice job with the zip. That’s the one job I always disliked, if you dont get the tension right the zip can end up all wavy, on a 26 inch zip in a fleece that looks terrible.
 
I don’t sew. Wanted to learn a few years ago and was looking for a class but they were all during the day when I’m at work. I do crochet and have made hat/scarf sets and some blankets. My hands get crampy so it’s not something I can do easily.

Cold and sunny here today. I didn’t do much. My late night Milky Way chase up to Maine and back really wiped me out. I slept a bit, walked the dogs and camped out on the couch for the rest of the day. Caught up on my dvr, played some Bubble Witch, ordered take out, thought about doing some laundry but that made me tired...
 
I don’t sew. Wanted to learn a few years ago and was looking for a class but they were all during the day when I’m at work. I do crochet and have made hat/scarf sets and some blankets. My hands get crampy so it’s not something I can do easily.

Cold and sunny here today. I didn’t do much. My late night Milky Way chase up to Maine and back really wiped me out. I slept a bit, walked the dogs and camped out on the couch for the rest of the day. Caught up on my dvr, played some Bubble Witch, ordered take out, thought about doing some laundry but that made me tired...

I learned at a young age. I made my first shift dress at age 7. When I got to high-school I wanted to take an advanced sewing class, but the school said I had to take the 101 class first. The first week I stopped others in the class from cutting out their pieces wrong and then had half the class asking my help. The teacher asked if I would be her assistant lol. She also said not to take the advanced class because it wasn't really advanced and would be a waste of my time. It was an easy A, but a pain being the assistant. Most in the class couldn't thread a needle.
 
I don’t sew. Wanted to learn a few years ago and was looking for a class but they were all during the day when I’m at work. I do crochet and have made hat/scarf sets and some blankets. My hands get crampy so it’s not something I can do easily.

Cold and sunny here today. I didn’t do much. My late night Milky Way chase up to Maine and back really wiped me out. I slept a bit, walked the dogs and camped out on the couch for the rest of the day. Caught up on my dvr, played some Bubble Witch, ordered take out, thought about doing some laundry but that made me tired...


I learned at a young age. I made my first shift dress at age 7. When I got to high-school I wanted to take an advanced sewing class, but the school said I had to take the 101 class first. The first week I stopped others in the class from cutting out their pieces wrong and then had half the class asking my help. The teacher asked if I would be her assistant lol. She also said not to take the advanced class because it wasn't really advanced and would be a waste of my time. It was an easy A, but a pain being the assistant. Most in the class couldn't thread a needle.

I made a terry cloth track suit in Home Ec class back in the 80’s lol. That’s the only time I’ve used a sewing machine.
 
Grandmother and mother insisted that I learnt to sew do needle craft as well as sisters. Sad thing is I am the only one who does any now.
Years ago I used to have a really long wait at the doctors. Others would bring a book, I started to take my cross stitch
The receptionist got quite cross, “why do you do that here,” she asked one morning after I had been waiting 3/4 hour
“Because I am sat here most of the day at least doing the cross stitch means I have not wasted my day.”
This if front of a room of people waiting.
You know what my waiting time was much reduced after that lol
 
I don’t sew. Wanted to learn a few years ago and was looking for a class but they were all during the day when I’m at work. I do crochet and have made hat/scarf sets and some blankets. My hands get crampy so it’s not something I can do easily.

Cold and sunny here today. I didn’t do much. My late night Milky Way chase up to Maine and back really wiped me out. I slept a bit, walked the dogs and camped out on the couch for the rest of the day. Caught up on my dvr, played some Bubble Witch, ordered take out, thought about doing some laundry but that made me tired...


I learned at a young age. I made my first shift dress at age 7. When I got to high-school I wanted to take an advanced sewing class, but the school said I had to take the 101 class first. The first week I stopped others in the class from cutting out their pieces wrong and then had half the class asking my help. The teacher asked if I would be her assistant lol. She also said not to take the advanced class because it wasn't really advanced and would be a waste of my time. It was an easy A, but a pain being the assistant. Most in the class couldn't thread a needle.

I made a terry cloth track suit in Home Ec class back in the 80’s lol. That’s the only time I’ve used a sewing machine.
At least you got to make something interesting. We had to make aprons. Aprons. :048:
 
... We had to make aprons. Aprons. :048:
What's wrong with aprons? I have a bunch of them... leather ones for welding and forging, a vinyl one for painting & chemical work, a heavy cotton one for wearing around the lathe/mill... nothing at all wrong with a good apron.
 
I don’t sew. Wanted to learn a few years ago and was looking for a class but they were all during the day when I’m at work. I do crochet and have made hat/scarf sets and some blankets. My hands get crampy so it’s not something I can do easily.

Cold and sunny here today. I didn’t do much. My late night Milky Way chase up to Maine and back really wiped me out. I slept a bit, walked the dogs and camped out on the couch for the rest of the day. Caught up on my dvr, played some Bubble Witch, ordered take out, thought about doing some laundry but that made me tired...


I learned at a young age. I made my first shift dress at age 7. When I got to high-school I wanted to take an advanced sewing class, but the school said I had to take the 101 class first. The first week I stopped others in the class from cutting out their pieces wrong and then had half the class asking my help. The teacher asked if I would be her assistant lol. She also said not to take the advanced class because it wasn't really advanced and would be a waste of my time. It was an easy A, but a pain being the assistant. Most in the class couldn't thread a needle.

I made a terry cloth track suit in Home Ec class back in the 80’s lol. That’s the only time I’ve used a sewing machine.
At least you got to make something interesting. We had to make aprons. Aprons. :048:

If memory serves, we were supposed to make a simple smock type dress but we went all Norma Rae on the teacher and she gave in lol.
 
... We had to make aprons. Aprons. :048:
What's wrong with aprons? I have a bunch of them... leather ones for welding and forging, a vinyl one for painting & chemical work, a heavy cotton one for wearing around the lathe/mill... nothing at all wrong with a good apron.
I think it has more to do with the how and why aprons were required/made as opposed to the aprons themselves?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom