What's new

The Coffee House

Today is Monday so Wednesday will be the next Wednesday or am I missing something...
 
Today is Monday so Wednesday will be the next Wednesday or am I missing something...

That’s an age old dispute! IMO, if today is Monday then Wednesday is THIS Wednesday (as in this coming Wednesday) and Wednesday (of NEXT week) is NEXT Wednesday, not THIS Wednesday.
 
Morning all. I hope everyone had a nice weekend and a chance to visit with their Mom or children (in person or via video) to celebrate Mother’s Day.

My mom lives with us so I am fortunate to see her all the time. My brother and sister-in-law and nephew came to visit from NH and we chatted and had lunch. We kept our distance and ate at separate tables outside and ordered take out delivered. It was so nice to see them.
 
Today is Monday so Wednesday will be the next Wednesday or am I missing something...

Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.. So it makes this Wednesday is Two days away which makes Wednesday this week.
 
Today is Monday so Wednesday will be the next Wednesday or am I missing something...

That’s an age old dispute! IMO, if today is Monday then Wednesday is THIS Wednesday (as in this coming Wednesday) and Wednesday (of NEXT week) is NEXT Wednesday, not THIS Wednesday.

Today is Monday so Wednesday will be the next Wednesday or am I missing something...

Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.. So it makes this Wednesday is Two days away which makes Wednesday this week.

Yup! "This" Wednesday usually refers to the Wednesday that falls in the same week.
 
This coming Wednesday will be the very next Wednesday, I really cannot see the problem.......
 
This coming Wednesday will be the very next Wednesday, I really cannot see the problem.......
m

Ok then We’ll meet you there next Wednesday, wait for us...
 
Not sure why you're quibbling over terminology. I can't seem to remember what day of the week it is anyway. About to go bat bleep crazy. Lol.

t1-656430-af_47a9_8ac1_9e34454294a1.webp
 
This coming Wednesday will be the very next Wednesday, I really cannot see the problem.......

Ok Jeff, will see you on the 20th of May next week and see everyone else this Wednesday 13th this week :D
 
That’s an age old dispute! IMO, if today is Monday then Wednesday is THIS Wednesday (as in this coming Wednesday) and Wednesday (of NEXT week) is NEXT Wednesday, not THIS Wednesday.
I've always taken "next" to mean the next one, so, today being Monday, if you said, "Next Wednesday" to me, I would assume the day after tomorrow, or the third Monday of this week.
 
[...Yup! "This" Wednesday usually refers to the Wednesday that falls in the same week.
So if today were Thursday, and we were talking about [respectively] 'this' and 'next' Wednesday, to which days would we refer (NOT being obtuse, just interested in how others see this)?

The whole "this" vs. "next" thing is why I always insist on dates. Same with addresses, "Oh, were the third house along after the intersection.". That's nice, what's the street address?
 
Not a wind up from me Jeff at all, but this Wednesday the 13th of May I will be going out more plus if it`s still safe next Wednesday the 20th I will go out.
 
That’s an age old dispute! IMO, if today is Monday then Wednesday is THIS Wednesday (as in this coming Wednesday) and Wednesday (of NEXT week) is NEXT Wednesday, not THIS Wednesday.
I've always taken "next" to mean the next one, so, today being Monday, if you said, "Next Wednesday" to me, I would assume the day after tomorrow, or the third Monday of this week.

If I were talking to you on Monday I would just say Wednesday - no need for “next”.


[...Yup! "This" Wednesday usually refers to the Wednesday that falls in the same week.
So if today were Thursday, and we were talking about [respectively] 'this' and 'next' Wednesday, to which days would we refer (NOT being obtuse, just interested in how others see this)?

The whole "this" vs. "next" thing is why I always insist on dates. Same with addresses, "Oh, were the third house along after the intersection.". That's nice, what's the street address?

Exactly why I said it was an age old dispute. Everyone has a different idea of what next xday means. I too insist on clarifying with a date if there is any question at all of what we’re talking about.
 
[...Yup! "This" Wednesday usually refers to the Wednesday that falls in the same week.
So if today were Thursday, and we were talking about [respectively] 'this' and 'next' Wednesday, to which days would we refer (NOT being obtuse, just interested in how others see this)?

The whole "this" vs. "next" thing is why I always insist on dates. Same with addresses, "Oh, were the third house along after the intersection.". That's nice, what's the street address?

First of all, if it were Thursday the 15th and I were referring to Wednesday the 14th, I would say 'yesterday'. If it were Friday and I didn't feel like saying 'the day before yesterday,' I might just say 'Wednesday' - the verb tense distinguishes it as being in the past. "I sent that email on Wednesday" I might say to someone at work. Maybe I would say 'this past Wednesday.' If I said 'last Wednesday' then it refers to the previous week.

The pronoun/adjective 'this' refers to things that are closest to the speaker - this includes both space and time. In space, for example, the contrasting pronoun/adjective would be 'that' - something that is farther away from the speaker but closer to the listener, or far away from both of them. When speaking about time, we often use 'this' to talk about an event or day closest in time, and 'next' as the subsequent occurrence of that event/day.

And yes, even though there are distinctions built into certain function words, language is also full of redundancies, so when we don't have those additional cues, we sometimes get confused. For this reason, many people like to add additional words or details, like dates, to clarify.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom