The Coffee House

In the South, we'd say "This Wednesday," for the day after tomorrow, and for the week after that, we say, "Wednesday week."

Took me awhile to get used to it, but it makes sense. It's kept pretty simple around here. :1247:

Exactly. Function words often have regional differences, which is another reason redundancies are used, even within lingustic communities.

...First of all, if it were Thursday the 15th and I were referring to Wednesday the 14th, I would say 'yesterday'...
I meant: If today were Thursday the 15th and I was referring to Wednesday the 21st...., that is, the Wednesday of the following week, but also the 'next' Wednesday.

...First of all, if it were Thursday the 15th and I were referring to Wednesday the 14th, I would say 'yesterday'...
I meant: If today were Thursday the 15th and I was referring to Wednesday the 21st...., that is, the Wednesday of the following week, but also the 'next' Wednesday.

This is still consistent with the idea that 'this' refers to the closest Wednesday and 'next' refers to the Wednesday further away in time. In this case, the closest Wednesday is actually in the past and the person may choose to say 'yesterday' or 'this Wednesday' in conjunction with the past tense.

Lol! The wife also gets me confused with this or next. o_O I always have to get clarification.

I like that we're now voting on what day of the week any day is since nobody seems to know anymore! lol

I started an online embroidery/sampler class, and need to organize supplies. But I'm not exactly getting much done today, mostly browsing online to see what else I need and don't need but am looking at anyway.

Sunday there was a stitch along, which was entertaining when the teenage daughters of one of the pod/webcasters kept coming out in different oufits as different characters (pageant contestants, men in black, zookeeper and a penguin, etc.). I'm not used to having to pay attention to the time and get something done, too much like actual work! I just need to get back into the swing of courses/classes. The one is a year long class so I can ease back into it!

Was wondering how far back I'd have to go to see what started this! - 4 pages.

John, if it was Thursday, next Wed. would be next week on the 20th. There'd be no this Wed., it would've passed on by yesterday and you missed it!

These days it's sort of like when I had summers off teaching, I usually knew what day of the week it was, but the date? I could ballpark it within maybe 2-3 days (like, is it the 15th already??!) and would have to look at a calendar.

So now we have all decided next Wednesday is really this Wednesday that`s great. Stay tuned in folks to catch the next showing of Soap, next week or this week :biglaugh:

Was wondering how far back I'd have to go to see what started this! - 4 pages.

John, if it was Thursday, next Wed. would be next week on the 20th. There'd be no this Wed., it would've passed on by yesterday and you missed it!

These days it's sort of like when I had summers off teaching, I usually knew what day of the week it was, but the date? I could ballpark it within maybe 2-3 days (like, is it the 15th already??!) and would have to look at a calendar.
Aarggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am looking forward to the day after tomorrow, next Wednesday.......;)

Most reactions

Back