What's new

The Coffee House

Hi all, nice to hear that you are all ok.
On the peeps trying to drive throttle water, yep seen that a lot of peeps here who have the 4*4 don’t know how to drive them off road or throu deep water even if they do have the hi level air intake
I have seen one chap float down a river because he kept the doors shut tight
Seen some funny things off road, a Ford Fiesta (a small road car) being a sea saw cos it was bottomed out on a 3 foot deep gully washed through the track... best part of it was it had overtaken me on the easy part, giving me the finger for being slow..
Was kind.... gave them a lift to the road so they could call and wait for Rescue truck
 
It"s 4:00 am here. That time when worries are magnified.

Laid off and put on a two day a week contract due to COVID, offered a new job with a new company in a different countty.

During the day this is an exciting adventure, with a good company and the chance to experience (another) new culture ...... I'm experienced in my niche area, it's a good employer, a more developed country - what could go wrong.

At 4:00 am; I'm leaving my friends (again), having to learn a new language (again) and due to COVID it's a solo, one-way trip with no chance of return to a place I know and enjoy, fot an unknown length of time. Everything in my world will be different in less than a month.

Sleep may not happen for a while longer tonight.

I'm sorry about the layoff and hope the new opportunity works out well. I haven't moved nearly as often as you have, but I've had my fair share of wandering. Even when you're used to it, it's still quite disruptive. I hope everything goes smoothly for you. And as long as there's internet, you'll still have us, so at least there's one thing that won't change! :)

Thank you! Yes, the internet has made travel less isolating.
 
Power is back! The perks of living a few blocks from a hospital! We rarely lose power for long. On the flip side now I have to work today.

At one point in my life, due to various circumstances over which I had very little control, I moved 5 times in 7 years. It was mostly involuntary due to being a renter and properties being sold or rents being raised above my budget. After that I started looking to buy something and have been here ever since. Moving is a lot of work and stressful. But I’ve been thinking lately of selling this place when Princess graduates from college and moving somewhere more rural like the mountains. Haven’t decided yet if that’s too isolating for me.

The last time I moved was about 13 years ago, and of course, I'm preparing to move in the next couple of weeks (painting is taking longer than expected, especially when we had to unexpectedly replace the sheetrock on an 8'x4' section of wall in the master bedroom, and we still have to put the floors in.) But before that, I moved 15 times within the span of 18 years. Some of those moves were within the same city/town, but there were also 3 international moves and 4 moves between different states.

And I've progressively been moving farther and farther away from large population centers. :)
 
That was a lot of moves. Were the moves because of work,

Was that for me?

Some of the moves were to and from college, to and from grad school. The international moves were for ostensibly work (I taught ESL) but I didn't have to leave the country to teach. I wanted to live abroad at least for a little while, and I ended up spending 5 years as an ex-pat. I've moved less often since coming back to the States, though I've certainly been kind of antsy. I'm only moving about 30 minutes away, but it's still an area that is less familiar to me so I get to feel like I'm getting to live someplace "different." I've lived in my current county and have lived and still work in the county to the south of me, but I'm now moving 20 miles north and get to explore a whole new county.
 
That was a lot of moves. Were the moves because of work,

Was that for me?

Some of the moves were to and from college, to and from grad school. The international moves were for ostensibly work (I taught ESL) but I didn't have to leave the country to teach. I wanted to live abroad at least for a little while, and I ended up spending 5 years as an ex-pat. I've moved less often since coming back to the States, though I've certainly been kind of antsy. I'm only moving about 30 minutes away, but it's still an area that is less familiar to me so I get to feel like I'm getting to live someplace "different." I've lived in my current county and have lived and still work in the county to the south of me, but I'm now moving 20 miles north and get to explore a whole new county.

Hope your move goes well - as you'll know too well - physically moving is only part of the project, setting up utility bills, internet, TV and changing addresses at banks, insurance companies, driving licences etc can feel like an extra job! :-)
 
That was a lot of moves. Were the moves because of work,

Was that for me?

Some of the moves were to and from college, to and from grad school. The international moves were for ostensibly work (I taught ESL) but I didn't have to leave the country to teach. I wanted to live abroad at least for a little while, and I ended up spending 5 years as an ex-pat. I've moved less often since coming back to the States, though I've certainly been kind of antsy. I'm only moving about 30 minutes away, but it's still an area that is less familiar to me so I get to feel like I'm getting to live someplace "different." I've lived in my current county and have lived and still work in the county to the south of me, but I'm now moving 20 miles north and get to explore a whole new county.

Hope your move goes well - as you'll know too well - physically moving is only part of the project, setting up utility bills, internet, TV and changing addresses at banks, insurance companies, driving licences etc can feel like an extra job! :)

iu
 
MLW has the bandage off of her arm. She said there is feeling in a part of her hand that she hasn't felt in a couple years, so this is a very good sign. The stitches make her look a little like the Frankenstein monster, but they'll come out.
 
From the For What It's Worth department:
This week, the U.S. Census Bureau began to release daily 2020 Census housing unit completion rates including the 2020 Census self-response rate and Nonresponse Followup completion rate. 76.5% of housing units have been accounted for in the 2020 Census as of today, with 12.1% counted by census takers and other field data collection operations, and 64.4% of housing units responding online, by phone, or by mail.
 
Hey hosers.

I just deleted some spam that was recruiting for the Illuminati with Priest Elvis.

Coolest spam I've seen in a while! :biglaugh: Certainly better than all the keto diet ads.
 
No sent very much in jest, please don’t slap me, or take offence


Hey hosers.

I just deleted some spam that was recruiting for the Illuminati with Priest Elvis.

Coolest spam I've seen in a while! :biglaugh: Certainly better than all the keto diet ads.

It’s always Spam, never ham, corn beef or even a veggie option lol
 
No sent very much in jest, please don’t slap me, or take offence


Hey hosers.

I just deleted some spam that was recruiting for the Illuminati with Priest Elvis.

Coolest spam I've seen in a while! :biglaugh: Certainly better than all the keto diet ads.

It’s always Spam, never ham, corn beef or even a veggie option lol

Because ham, corned beef, and veggies are real foods, while Spam is kinda just wrong ;)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom