What's new

The Coffee House

It"s 4:00 am here. That time when worries are magnified.

Laid off and put on a two day a week contract due to COVID, offered a new job with a new company in a different countty.

During the day this is an exciting adventure, with a good company and the chance to experience (another) new culture ...... I'm experienced in my niche area, it's a good employer, a more developed country - what could go wrong.

At 4:00 am; I'm leaving my friends (again), having to learn a new language (again) and due to COVID it's a solo, one-way trip with no chance of return to a place I know and enjoy, fot an unknown length of time. Everything in my world will be different in less than a month.

Sleep may not happen for a while longer tonight.
Sorry to hear about the layoff. I am luckier than most. As a contractor, I generally get very little protection; the County employees come first. My County boss, however, made me "essential" so I am still working and have had no furlough (County folks that weren't telecommuting got paid administrative leave - contractors aren't entitled to that). Now, if the County furloughs their people or worse, layoffs (RIF), all bets are off.
 
It"s 4:00 am here. That time when worries are magnified.

Laid off and put on a two day a week contract due to COVID, offered a new job with a new company in a different countty.

During the day this is an exciting adventure, with a good company and the chance to experience (another) new culture ...... I'm experienced in my niche area, it's a good employer, a more developed country - what could go wrong.

At 4:00 am; I'm leaving my friends (again), having to learn a new language (again) and due to COVID it's a solo, one-way trip with no chance of return to a place I know and enjoy, fot an unknown length of time. Everything in my world will be different in less than a month.

Sleep may not happen for a while longer tonight.
Sorry to hear about the layoff. I am luckier than most. As a contractor, I generally get very little protection; the County employees come first. My County boss, however, made me "essential" so I am still working and have had no furlough (County folks that weren't telecommuting got paid administrative leave - contractors aren't entitled to that). Now, if the County furloughs their people or worse, layoffs (RIF), all bets are off.

That's a good position to be in as a contractor, hope it goes well for you. Businesses are starting to realise that COVID is not going away, so the 'new normal' really is the way we need to live and work now. Hopefully this will mean the short term 'panic' reasponses will give way to positive thinking and forwatd planning. We can't furlough everyone!
 
Big storm just blew through here. Our gazebo took flight despite the 5000 stakes it came with. It landed back in our yard but we were watching through the kitchen window and had an Auntie Em moment. Also have a tree down at the end of the block and a huge river of mud trying to get in the basement door. I’ve lived here 20+ years and have never had a drop of water in the basement until today! Lights flickered a few times and came back in. Thankfully - as I have a fully stocked freezer in the basement! No injuries or serious property damage so we were lucky. The local news tonight will be filled with photos of trees on top of cars and broken windows and fences.

DC96AE8E-F7FE-41D6-9250-7237AEFDE941.webp
EF1B39F9-B0B8-4ABF-A215-1141B7286E1D.webp
B3E7AE99-5267-43A7-BA9F-618226EB2681.webp
4F26364D-7E73-4E8D-91EE-3C742D897072.webp
 
Big storm just blew through here. Our gazebo took flight despite the 5000 stakes it came with. It landed back in our yard but we were watching through the kitchen window and had an Auntie Em moment. Also have a tree down at the end of the block and a huge river of mud trying to get in the basement door. I’ve lived here 20+ years and have never had a drop of water in the basement until today! Lights flickered a few times and came back in. Thankfully - as I have a fully stocked freezer in the basement! No injuries or serious property damage so we were lucky. The local news tonight will be filled with photos of trees on top of cars and broken windows and fences.

View attachment 196437 View attachment 196438 View attachment 196439 View attachment 196440
Holy crap!! :eek-73: Glad everyone is okay, but that must have felt like a wild ride!

Glad you didn't lose power, too. Whew!
 
Here are some photos from my local friend’s Facebook posts.
6A46E991-D0A4-4BC6-B7A5-A9F7E32176DA.webp
448DCE46-6D56-456F-9C9F-08D3C2387E7A.webp
 
Every big storm someone tries to drive through the “puddle” under the bridge and finds out it’s about 3 ft deep.
 
Every big storm someone tries to drive through the “puddle” under the bridge and finds out it’s about 3 ft deep.
Ha! Happens everywhere, I guess. When I lived in Houston, we heard regularly about people getting themselves trapped in flash floods downtown. They never learned!
 
Glad everyone is OK.
 
Here, too - "Oh, it's not that deep" or "I have an SUV so I can get through it." Heavy rain last week and on the way to surgery we saw one of the swift water rescue teams heading out. They had three runs that morning.
 
Big storm just blew through here. Our gazebo took flight despite the 5000 stakes it came with. It landed back in our yard but we were watching through the kitchen window and had an Auntie Em moment. Also have a tree down at the end of the block and a huge river of mud trying to get in the basement door. I’ve lived here 20+ years and have never had a drop of water in the basement until today! Lights flickered a few times and came back in. Thankfully - as I have a fully stocked freezer in the basement! No injuries or serious property damage so we were lucky. The local news tonight will be filled with photos of trees on top of cars and broken windows and fences.

View attachment 196437 View attachment 196438 View attachment 196439 View attachment 196440

Wow! What a storm. Glad you are safe.
 
It"s 4:00 am here. That time when worries are magnified.

Laid off and put on a two day a week contract due to COVID, offered a new job with a new company in a different countty.

During the day this is an exciting adventure, with a good company and the chance to experience (another) new culture ...... I'm experienced in my niche area, it's a good employer, a more developed country - what could go wrong.

At 4:00 am; I'm leaving my friends (again), having to learn a new language (again) and due to COVID it's a solo, one-way trip with no chance of return to a place I know and enjoy, fot an unknown length of time. Everything in my world will be different in less than a month.

Sleep may not happen for a while longer tonight.

Sorry to hear about the lay off. Hoping the new job brings good vibes. We have had to move several times due to layoffs. It is strange to pull up stakes and move to a new area. Before cell phones in the 80s & 90s the first thing I bought at a new location was a map. Got turned around one time and had to go back to the new bank and ask for directions to my house.
 
And we just lost power.
 
It"s 4:00 am here. That time when worries are magnified.

Laid off and put on a two day a week contract due to COVID, offered a new job with a new company in a different countty.

During the day this is an exciting adventure, with a good company and the chance to experience (another) new culture ...... I'm experienced in my niche area, it's a good employer, a more developed country - what could go wrong.

At 4:00 am; I'm leaving my friends (again), having to learn a new language (again) and due to COVID it's a solo, one-way trip with no chance of return to a place I know and enjoy, fot an unknown length of time. Everything in my world will be different in less than a month.

Sleep may not happen for a while longer tonight.

I'm sorry about the layoff and hope the new opportunity works out well. I haven't moved nearly as often as you have, but I've had my fair share of wandering. Even when you're used to it, it's still quite disruptive. I hope everything goes smoothly for you. And as long as there's internet, you'll still have us, so at least there's one thing that won't change! :)
 
Power is back! The perks of living a few blocks from a hospital! We rarely lose power for long. On the flip side now I have to work today.

At one point in my life, due to various circumstances over which I had very little control, I moved 5 times in 7 years. It was mostly involuntary due to being a renter and properties being sold or rents being raised above my budget. After that I started looking to buy something and have been here ever since. Moving is a lot of work and stressful. But I’ve been thinking lately of selling this place when Princess graduates from college and moving somewhere more rural like the mountains. Haven’t decided yet if that’s too isolating for me.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom